Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5329|Sydney
Yes I know how to convert units from metric to imperial, but how do you know your bf%, water weight etc?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

Yes I know how to convert units from metric to imperial, but how do you know your bf%, water weight etc?
it was a very rough estimate. I never lose weight in such large quantities, and it happened shortly after I stopped taking creatione. It could've been a coincidence, but it seems unlikely.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6773|Little Bentcock
https://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/This-joke-is-pretty-heavy-handed.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6462

har har
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Pretty sure I will train fasted from now on. Been having great workouts, gone up in strength and set a few new PBs whilst losing a couple kilos in the past couple weeks. Noice.
Adams_BJ
I can't lift with a fully empty stomach. I always have some vegimite about an hour before my workout just so I have a little in there.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Well, it's not completely fasted. I either have 10g of BCAAs or a scoop of whey with water 5-15 mins before I start. Protein pre-workout has been shown to be better than carbs or a protein/carb combo.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
If you need a meal have something like chicken with vegies 1-3 hours before your workout.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Just did an entire upper body split of drop sets.

Sweet baby Jesus!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
I'm surprised you can still feel your limbs enough to type
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

I'm surprised you can still feel your limbs enough to type
It was a close thing. All I had to do was get my arms up to the table, and I was set!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6149|...
What helps for me is taking a cold shower directly after a lifting session. Doesn't feel great but it vastly reduces the effect of DOMS the next day. Figured this out after a very intensive squat session left me pretty much cripple for the next 2-3 days (couldn't walk down stairs). I swear by cold showers twice a week now, on squat & deadlift days respectively.
inane little opines
Adams_BJ
I hate legs. They don't feel good to work out. They have to be done, they just aren't fun.

lol that rhymed.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
I'm not following a strict routine per se at the moment. I record all my lifts but the workouts themselves are flexible and based upon how I feel from the previous workout and which muscles need to be worked. All compound movements.

For example, Wednesday I did deadlifts, rows and presses. Pushed myself hard whilst maintaining form.

Today my legs are still sore from the deads and my shoulders from the presses so I will focus on bench press, assisted chins (working towards body weight chins) and perhaps just some abs to finish.

Monday I will most likely be ready for anything so I will do squats, bench and chins (hits most muscles).
Adams_BJ
I'll do push, pull, legs, rest, repeat. if my rest days are the same each week (sunday and wed for example) on saturday I will do 2 days in one setting, then start again monday, but usually the days off will differ.

Weight seems to increase every second workout.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Well as long as you're making progress and not burning out it sounds like it's all working well.
Adams_BJ
5 day workout week is very good.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Yeah just watch that you don't over train, though that's probably not going to be a great risk till you start lifting a lot heavier (which I'm not at that stage yet either).

From some stuff I read recently you want to be hitting every body part every 3-5 days, so 2-3 times a week. Splits where you work one body part each week are kinda retarded IMO, unless you're jacked up.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Really over training isn't a concern, it would be having enough energy for the workouts to properly push yourself and enough recovery time in between. 3 days a week works well for me.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6149|...
Following a proper routine which you plan to work with for several months is essential if you want steady growth in whatever your goals are. Randomizing it impedes progress. Sure, you'll probably see gains anyway as long as you make sure to progressively lift heavier, though you're not being efficient and you risk hitting plateaus much sooner. Even though it's true that consistency, rest and diet are much more important in the overall equation, you'll never see good progress if any one of the factors are lacking - which includes the workout bit. I plan my goals a year ahead of time and know exactly how I will be working out for the entire year.

In other news I finally got to start 5/3/1 properly 3 weeks ago (have been very very busy with other shit) and am already seeing 5-10 lbs gains in various lifts. DL max should be pushing 180 kg now (~400 lbs), think I could lift that now on a good day. We'll see where I'm at in a few months time.
inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6149|...

Adams_BJ wrote:

Why? Hitting the gym 5x a week implies you're working with a 5-day split. I'm no fan of these.
inane little opines
Adams_BJ

Shocking wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

Why? Hitting the gym 5x a week implies you're working with a 5-day split. I'm no fan of these.
3 days on, 1 day off. Hit each twice a week.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney

Shocking wrote:

Following a proper routine which you plan to work with for several months is essential if you want steady growth in whatever your goals are. Randomizing it impedes progress. Sure, you'll probably see gains anyway as long as you make sure to progressively lift heavier, though you're not being efficient and you risk hitting plateaus much sooner. Even though it's true that consistency, rest and diet are much more important in the overall equation, you'll never see good progress if any one of the factors are lacking - which includes the workout bit. I plan my goals a year ahead of time and know exactly how I will be working out for the entire year.

In other news I finally got to start 5/3/1 properly 3 weeks ago (have been very very busy with other shit) and am already seeing 5-10 lbs gains in various lifts. DL max should be pushing 180 kg now (~400 lbs), think I could lift that now on a good day. We'll see where I'm at in a few months time.
I do have a plan.

Deadlift or squat on a workout. Followed by a push and pull. (bench or OHP; chins or bent over row)

Next workout I leave out the legs as I'm still not fully recovered, and do the opposing push/pull I hadn't done previous workout. Then an ancillary exercise like ab work.

Then I go back to the first workout. If I did squats the first time then I replace it with deads.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Oh, and on the days I work legs I will make the second exercise either bench press or chins, as OHP and bent over rows still tax the legs to some degree (not a lot) and I want to give them a rest whilst I focus on upper body. Bear in mind I'm hypocaloric so my recovery isn't as good right now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard