_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
I put the rebuilt alternator in and got very interesting results:

First off, the car feels MUCH less bogged down with A/C on, I forgot I had it on for a little bit while I was doing the test, it accelerated almost as good as it did with it off, the way it should be.  Felt like it might even be accelerating better in general but it's tough to say for sure.

2nd I still stall when I'm breaking to a stop at stoplights, it's actually worse with this alternator for some reason and I still get the stallyness and idling problems at the light, starting to think the IAC or even break booster(I've heard they overuse power when they're bad) might be the culprit of the idling problems.

3rd, I realized my old alternator has just as bad of bearings as my original alternator.  I did a simple hand-spinning test between both the new one and the one that came with the car, new one spins nice and freely, old one spins like a lazy derp; hand-spun the original one and the freshly removed old one when I got home and they both spun about the same amount, geez lol. I wonder if that contributed to the bogged down feeling from the pulley robbing a shitload of power from the belt.

According to the amp gauge, the new alternator generates much less power than the old one does at its best(when I first start it up) but it doesn't lose power the more I drive like the old one did.  The pulley squeaks a little bit too, sounds like a very small frog, especially when in gear.  I would love to have a brand new alternator to compare to for the best results, I'm not sure if this one is powerful enough to do what it's supposed to even though it's more stable than the other one.
Reciprocity
+721|6578|the dank(super) side of Oregon

_j5689_ wrote:

I wonder if that contributed to the bogged down feeling from the pulley robbing a shitload of power from the belt.
yer overthinkin this
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Enlighten me then, that's all I want is to know what it all means
Reciprocity
is your alt. putting out around 14 volts when the engine is running?  are your battery terminals clean and tight?  is your battery maintaining its amperage rating?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
I don't have a multimeter so I can't tell what the voltage is.  The battery terminals are clean and tight.  I can't tell if the battery is maintaining it's amperage rating and I have no idea how to tell outside of taking it out and getting it tested at an automotive store.
Reciprocity
without that information you can't really diagnose anything.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Looks like I might have to get a $20 multimeter when I get paid back tomorrow then, although I don't really know how to use one for this purpose.  How do I determine whether the battery is meeting its rated amperage too?
Reciprocity

_j5689_ wrote:

How do I determine whether the battery is meeting its rated amperage too?
take your car to a repair shop, not a fucking parts store-those jags always want to sell you something, and ask them to test your battery.  Unless you go to gomer's backyard horseless buggy repair garage, they should have a relatively modern battery tester that will quickly indicate your battery's condition.  if their battery tester is new than 10 years it should also be able to measure your alternator's voltage output and diode ripple.  and they should be able to give you this information on a little printout receipt.  this will cost you somewhere between nothing and 10 bucks.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2012-10-12 18:39:03)

eusgen
Nugget
+402|6790|Jupiter
If you have a friend with an OBD II scanner it can read out voltage no problem

Started some serious body work past few weeks, I think every corner of my car has been hit by something before I owned it.

Going to try the Rustoleum paint job trick of rolling it on with 50/50 of mineral spirits with sanding in between coats and a good buff at the end. Hoping for decent results.

Last edited by eusgen (2012-10-19 14:43:06)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Actually yeah, my uncle has a ScanGauge

What setting(s) should I be looking at in it?
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6790|Jupiter
Just find the voltage output, should be around 12v. if it is 11v or less you got problems.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
or jnumbers, just save up and buy a car that isn't a piece of shit
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Nope, once I have the charging system issues out of the way, the only thing left is that rough idle(which other people say I'm nitpicking at anyway).  I consider this a hobby now, even though other people might find it ridiculous
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

FatherTed wrote:

just save up and buy a car that isn't a piece of shit
Yeah your constant car troubles are kinda depressing to read
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

_j5689_ wrote:

Nope, once I have the charging system issues out of the way, the only thing left is that rough idle(which other people say I'm nitpicking at anyway).  I consider this a hobby now, even though other people might find it ridiculous
Not ridiculous. Tedious.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6790|Jupiter
The low voltage could be causing your idle problems (just read higher up in thread, could be vacuum leak too)

Check the ring terminal on the end of the power wire and make sure any metal that is supposed to connect to the battery is clean and not dirty, corroded or rusty. I have so much voltage going through my power wire I have to clean my terminal a few times a year because it corrodes quickly. Sand paper + rub rub rub = quick fix. I have a volt meter in my car and I watch as over time  (2 to 3 months) the voltage goes down gradually from 14.2-14.3 all the way down to 13.3ish, that's when I clean the terminal.

_j5689_ wrote:

2nd I still stall when I'm breaking to a stop at stoplights, it's actually worse with this alternator for some reason and I still get the stallyness and idling problems at the light, starting to think the IAC or even break booster(I've heard they overuse power when they're bad) might be the culprit of the idling problems.
Sounds like a vacuum leak, check all your hoses!

Last edited by eusgen (2012-10-21 12:29:50)

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma
Keep seeing Ferrari's on these terrible, terrible roads.
It sickens me how someone can do that to a car
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

_j5689_ wrote:

Check the voltage - on actual the battery terminal and at the terminals connected to the battery.

All being well both should read a steady 14.40 volts, even at idle.

Start switching on loads, headlights, rear window demister etc and see what happens.
If it drops off noticeably there's something wrong with the alternator or regulator, or battery, or cable.
It should load up the engine before the output voltage really drops, unless you put some huge load on it.

Any vacuum leak will cause annoying problems esp at idle, pull off hoses eg to the brake booster and plug them and see what happens. Obviously don't lose the plug down the hose.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5978|Toronto
Replaced the fender on my E30, had to cut it off with shears (25 years of rust, ftw)...new one is much, much shinier than the rest of the car. Shit.
I like pie.
iceman785
+93|6670|Alaska, mother fucker.
Time for a paint job?
TSI
+247|5978|Toronto
Maybe...but I'd rather save the three grand and get the M5 six months sooner.
I like pie.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4966|Dundee, Scotland.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma
Rented a Corsa, it has cruise control!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

TSI wrote:

Replaced the fender on my E30, had to cut it off with shears (25 years of rust, ftw)...new one is much, much shinier than the rest of the car. Shit.
So dirty up the new fender.

Should take about 5 minutes.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
TSI
+247|5978|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

TSI wrote:

So dirty up the new fender.

Should take about 5 minutes.
I don't think I can do 25 years' worth of UV damage and wash-microscratching in 5 minutes. But it's a thought...

Also, the previous owner had repaired a dent at some point...with a pad of carpet. Wat.

Last edited by TSI (2012-10-26 07:35:18)

I like pie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard