Brasso
+1,549|6630

lol
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6709|England. Stoke

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

^Spoiler (highlight to read):
They couldn't figure out how to get those two killed by goo, squids, zombies or Voldemort and make a gesture of trying to get the audience to care at the same time...so they did that instead. Three birds with one stone.

Also, fukkit. I'm going to go watch Doctor Who.
Moans about plot holes, stupid storylines/writing etc. watches Doctor Who...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

At least Doctor Who makes up for all that with somewhat engaging characters.

Also:

"Good morning, David."

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Also:

"Good morning, David."

Sure, it's a shout out. They use one from Aliens too: 'David! We are leaving!'

Tbh, I'm not really getting all of the hate. When I watched the movie I had the first two films in my mind at all times, and while I won't deny there are some rather bone-headed decisions made by the crew (though some are clarified through the deleted scenes), it's not the ultimate plot hole fest everyone makes it out to be. The original film got a similar response when it came out. Hell, the whole reason this film was made was in part to answer the biggest mysteries of the original: the bigass dude in the chair, the origin of the ship and it's signal, and the apparent knowledge of the company about its existence, despite in the sequel it being mentioned that nothing like it was ever before encountered.

I've watched it through a few times now and you can pick up a lot about why certain things happen from little interactions. Why David does a lot of what he does is pretty much explained in his opening scene when he does the neuro scan: he's curious. When he infects Holloway, he effectively asks him for permission to do so, which Holloway unknowingly provides. In that same scene he offers a possible answer as to why the Engineers created people: because they could. They didn't need a super reason for it, really.

The film will work better hand in hand with a sequel, but I still think that with a little thought and intepretation, backed up with the information provided by the originals, its not at all the movie equivalent of Swiss cheese.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

TBH, given that I enjoy tons of TV and movies with plot holes, I could have well looked past the ones present in Prometheus once I actually got around to thinking about them. What I can't get around are the boneheaded, out-of-character behavior from every. Single. Crewmember. Even the final boss Voldemort made a stupid decision. Each death affected me about as much as tossing a wad of used kleenex into a fire. At least with Alien, for example, there was tension. In fact, I watched it again this morning (after several years of not) and was glued to the screen.

But I doubt that 20 years down the road I'll be thinking "you know what? I haven't seen Prometheus in awhile. I think I'll put it on."

Anyway, Prometheus.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

About to watch Prometheus. I hope it doesn't suck.
You swallowed the hate before you even saw it didn't you?

Sucker Punch - 9/10 It was a better film than most people would realise I think, very well acted, and great visually.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

M.O.A.B wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Also:

"Good morning, David."

Sure, it's a shout out. They use one from Aliens too: 'David! We are leaving!'

Tbh, I'm not really getting all of the hate. When I watched the movie I had the first two films in my mind at all times, and while I won't deny there are some rather bone-headed decisions made by the crew (though some are clarified through the deleted scenes), it's not the ultimate plot hole fest everyone makes it out to be. The original film got a similar response when it came out. Hell, the whole reason this film was made was in part to answer the biggest mysteries of the original: the bigass dude in the chair, the origin of the ship and it's signal, and the apparent knowledge of the company about its existence, despite in the sequel it being mentioned that nothing like it was ever before encountered.

I've watched it through a few times now and you can pick up a lot about why certain things happen from little interactions. Why David does a lot of what he does is pretty much explained in his opening scene when he does the neuro scan: he's curious. When he infects Holloway, he effectively asks him for permission to do so, which Holloway unknowingly provides. In that same scene he offers a possible answer as to why the Engineers created people: because they could. They didn't need a super reason for it, really.

The film will work better hand in hand with a sequel, but I still think that with a little thought and intepretation, backed up with the information provided by the originals, its not at all the movie equivalent of Swiss cheese.
Why does David (and everybody else), not question what happened with Shaw's squid baby?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What ruined Superman for me is that if a super-powerful alien with x-ray vision and the ability to fly landed on earth he'd find a better cover than junior newspaper reporter.

Apart from that it sucked.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

What ruined Superman for me is that if a super-powerful alien with x-ray vision and the ability to fly landed on earth he'd find a better cover than junior newspaper reporter.

A staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So why did he wear his underpants outside his outfit?
The whole film fell apart right there
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

About to watch Prometheus. I hope it doesn't suck.
You swallowed the hate before you even saw it didn't you?
No. I didn't check out the reviews until afterward. I went into it figuring it probably wouldn't be great, but hoping that it wouldn't suck. Two braindead hours later, I can honestly say it sucked. At least the characters sucked and the dialog/actions taken were senseless. If you don't care about that and want to see a moron get face raped by an alien phallus, then it's a good movie.

AussieReaper wrote:

A staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5964|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

""
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

So today my buddies were all like "let's watch Prometheus." I was all like "nawwww." They were all like "c'mon, it can't be that bad." I was like "naaawwwwww." They were like "got something better?" I was like "Birdemic." They were like "Prometheus it is."

Two hours later, and now I've watched this movie twice. More than anyone should ever have to in one lifetime. Strangely, I didn't find it as awful the second time around, but maybe I was inured to the out-of-character hijinx the story was throwing at us.

I upgrade my rating from 2/10 to 2.01/10.

Congratulations, Prometheus.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

oh my god just kys already

that or shut the fuck up
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5964|London, England

lol
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
return of the living dead 7/10 for the fx and incredible soundtrack lawl

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-10-19 07:35:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Brasso wrote:

that or shut the fuck up
Why don't you give us your 10/10 for Prometheus and stop counterbitching already.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Brasso wrote:

that or shut the fuck up
Why don't you give us your 10/10 for Prometheus and stop counterbitching already.
i could give prometheus a 0/10 and you would still be going off you whiny fuck
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.
God you really bitch a lot because UN13 bitches a lot. You're such a whiny cunt shut the fuck up.

c wut i did thar
Reciprocity
+721|6580|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

return of the living dead 7/10 for the fx and incredible soundtrack lawl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep9sZTm70gs
"send moar brains!"

-8/10 for totally awsome gratuitous strip scene.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Moonrise Kingdom - 8.5/10

From RT: "The most Wes Anderson-ish film Wes Anderson has ever made"

You either like his stuff or you don't. But I do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Planet Terror - Meh/10

It wasn't gripping, it wasn't funny, I'm sure there is a fanbase which remembers cheesy low-budget 70s films with some nostalgia but they'll mostly be dead so I'm not sure what the point was really.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

What's not to like?

Machine gun attached to the leg was cool.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was amusing for about 10 seconds. The joke then repeated 20 times not so much.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6511|Gold Coast
Looper
6.5/10
Spoiler (highlight to read):
what the fuck. he should have fucking shot the kid. fucking gay movie. fuck. and why does whatshisface look so fucking weird.

other than that, it was alright.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard