Vintageologist
Tankbuster
+31|6758|Vienna, Austria

KounterKill wrote:

Personally I think its something else that is going to be abused.  I am not to worried about the pub side but in competetive play I feel it lacked thought.  I am not sure what ea was thinking but I think this might have been a better solution.

1) Take the apc and Tanks out of main
2) Have Tank and apc drop available every 1 minute -2 minutes
3) set the available limits of tanks or apc's according to map size (e.g. 1 for 16p, 2 for 32, 3 for 64pl)

this would make the starts more infantry/squad based. Once in position the commander could drop tanks/apc where needed.  the key would be keeping your tank alive till the next drop was available, then you have 2.  Keep them alive and then have 3.   
I think this would really push the teamwork effort and keep vehicle whoring to a minimum, it also adds to the strategic atmosphere by putting in a tank under radar.  (i.e. having ground troops shoot down uav or inform commander when it is down for sneaky tank drops.)  **the tank would still show up for a second as an empty tank**

since the topic is on the humvees I will say that there are some aspects that make it nice (i.e. not having to run to a spawn to grab one)  but with the ability do drop them on people capping flags, or putting them on buildings or dropping them on helos, or other vehicles.  I can really see this getting out of hand and not being utilized for what they were intended.  Transportation.

Just my .02

KK
Im not sure what point 1) means, but other than that, I think that would be the worst idea ever, as it would INCREASE tank whoring to a maximum... you'll just end up having 3 tanks who repair each other on the U.S. carrier and such fun... great. No please don't do that.

Last edited by Vintageologist (2006-05-25 10:06:11)

Minion
C:/DOS - C:/DOS/RUN - RUN/DOS/RUN
+54|6598|Newfoundland, Canada
It'd be cool if they had it so the only way it would be able to be dropped, would be if a Squad leader requested it... i've seen alot of people mention that and it sounds like it would be good... it would cut down the cars on choppers and jets, that's for sure.

Also... wouldn't it be sweet if you could request a boat?... you know those times when you bail out of your smoking jet, or you accidently hit the E button and fall out, Request a boat drop! and have it so the boat could only be dropped in the water... it'll be alot better than hitting the suicide button, or taking Longgggg swims

my-2-cents.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f69858a2977e77bc2fdf9f5a2ba4a4d0177f38c0.png
XBoughtonX
+2|6822|North Texas
I found it useful last night while playing Karkand. ..

I was the commander on the MEC side, following an enemy Tank & APC from the square to the Train accident to the Suburbs. They were on thier way from the train accident to the suburbs... I placed an arty strike at the suburbs in the middle of the intersection. Before the atry fell, the tank drove right by my arty marker. I instantly placed the vehicle drop where the arty strike marker was, along comes the APC, the vodnik landed right in front of the APC and stopped him cold. As he sat there trying to push the car out of the way, the arty strike hit... BOOM no more armor.

Pure greatness...

2nd best use of a vehicle drop... dropped a vodnik on a sniper swimming across the canal to get to the cement factory. It didn't kill him when it hit the water, but it sure did when it exploded after being in the water...

CmdrTenchi
Sniper / End-Runner / Wedge
+5|6730|Behind your front lines...
Funny attempt:  I had my commander drop a supply box on my position, and at the same time, the enemy commander, dropped a truck on my position.  (Mosque, Warlord)  I was watching the supply box, and saw the truck and thought, WTF?  It's interesting when you don't jump in the vehicle, and after a while, it explodes.  Anyone else experience this one?  (I was away from the vehicle before it popped...)
sgt_mango333
+31|6652

xbrandomx wrote:

You KNOW there's going to be drops ontop of roofs so you can gun people from way up high.  I'm going to try that right now.
Sgt_mango333 <M95> xbrandomx
TF501|Rocker
+6|6574
Great job EA/Dice, you have 'fixed' the so called 'squad hopping' 'expliot' and replaced it with amazingly accurate exploding vehicles raining from the sky, more red/blue tag buggetry, a nearly completely useless server browser and many other yet un-discovered 'features'.

Outstanding!

I can't wait for the next installment of, 'Fuck You! BF2 Player"
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6623|EU

I pretty love it, it makes me laugh! today I killed some 5 snipers on square Karkand and blocked some TOWs so armor can go through. Now you can make new tactic
(CNA)RarRaggaRasta
+0|6659
I didnt seee it at any time ?
DSRTurtle
+56|6686
If they are going to keep it.  Then they need to make the reload time a lot longer.  Like 4 or 5 times as long as arty or supply reloads. 

The vehicle drop is a waste on most maps.  I have dropped vehicles only when a squad leader requests one or I see a guy on foot with no enemy soldiers around so he can go cap a flag with it or get to where the action is if we only have flag left to cap. 

The only good thing is that you get the smallest 3/4 person vehicle available to that side on the Map.  It would suck if your getting base raped and they kept dropping tanks/apcs on you killing you and there guys get them for more base raping.

Last edited by DSRTurtle (2006-05-25 11:28:12)

bruisehound
+14|6780
Basically, I think it's great for what it's intended for on a lot of maps.
Heck, I even got a good drop on Karkand when I was coming from Train Station to suburb and had no vehicle.
Totally stole the flag.

I think they should code it so that it drops different things depending on what's below it.
Jeeps on most ground, nothing on enemy airfields (or infantry if that's possible), boats in the water. Props to  -=]V[-i-n-i-o-n=- ) for the boat idea.

My 3 cents,
-bruisehound

Last edited by bruisehound (2006-05-25 11:45:21)

KounterKill
+0|6547|Missouri

Vintageologist wrote:

KounterKill wrote:

Personally I think its something else that is going to be abused.  I am not to worried about the pub side but in competetive play I feel it lacked thought.  I am not sure what ea was thinking but I think this might have been a better solution.

1) Take the apc and Tanks out of main
2) Have Tank and apc drop available every 1 minute -2 minutes
3) set the available limits of tanks or apc's according to map size (e.g. 1 for 16p, 2 for 32, 3 for 64pl)

this would make the starts more infantry/squad based. Once in position the commander could drop tanks/apc where needed.  the key would be keeping your tank alive till the next drop was available, then you have 2.  Keep them alive and then have 3.   
I think this would really push the teamwork effort and keep vehicle whoring to a minimum, it also adds to the strategic atmosphere by putting in a tank under radar.  (i.e. having ground troops shoot down uav or inform commander when it is down for sneaky tank drops.)  **the tank would still show up for a second as an empty tank**

since the topic is on the humvees I will say that there are some aspects that make it nice (i.e. not having to run to a spawn to grab one)  but with the ability do drop them on people capping flags, or putting them on buildings or dropping them on helos, or other vehicles.  I can really see this getting out of hand and not being utilized for what they were intended.  Transportation.

Just my .02

KK
Im not sure what point 1) means, but other than that, I think that would be the worst idea ever, as it would INCREASE tank whoring to a maximum... you'll just end up having 3 tanks who repair each other on the U.S. carrier and such fun... great. No please don't do that.
My bad, I took it for granted in my previous post that the drops would only be available on ground, no buildings/carriers.  I kinda think the drops for the humvees could be  cool but having them drop anywhere on the map ruins it just as it would for tanks or apc's.

As far as the main goes, keep the tanks and apc for drops, therefore keeping theft from main, tk for armor and crap out.  this may or may not be a good Idea, i could see it going either way.   

Fact is I have pretty much lost all faith in ea when it comes to competetive gaming in the bf2 series, I am not one to bitch so I wont.  My ideas above are not to be taken too seriosly,  It's just that the airdrop thing was never really necassary, if ea is going to implement it then I would've hoped they put more thought into it.
Poet
Meatbag.
+65|6567|Where I don't know where I am.
Time will tell how people treat it, but I think when you are pinned back to one flag and have no tank spawns left, having the option to drop a tank would be a good thing.  It would stop the armour dominance that can occur on maps like karkand 64p.

Also, a comic on this topic -> http://www.binarysheep.com/comic.php?c=5
: )
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6608|Sweden
it doesnt add to the realism of the game when u see a buggy bouncing down from a roof. it is a good idea tho, but maybe they should have limited the drop zones somewhat.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard