Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

I think I'm being fair to both sides to be honest. Your problem is that you watch Jon Stewart or read HuffPo and think you're not getting a completely biased and one sided account of American politics.

Bush set up the timetable for withdrawal from Iraq. Yeah, Obama could've rescinded the plan and kept the war going longer, but he didn't do anything to speed up the end. Instead, he dumped more troops into the unwinnable Afghanistan war, got more of them killed, and now he's getting credit for ending it. There's nothing about Obama's foreign policies that are worthy of praise. Well, I guess he's good at making Euros like him, so there's that (not exactly difficult as a democrat but whatever).
They were trying to implement the comprehensive approach/surge in afghanistan that worked pretty well for Iraq. Reason they did this because Comp Approach worked really well in SE Asia. But Obama Half-assed it and should've sent in 40k more troops but it would've been too unpopular. Funniest thing about Obama is that people like him since he's "not republican, not white and not bush" but has the exact same foreign policy, if not more finely executed.
That's largely the only difference between this presidency and the last one. The media is happier though
Which is great especially for American foreign policy when you think about it.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Sure, I'm just pointing out that crying over PBS losing federal funding is asinine too.

This is what is really important.
How's the deficit doing? Has the Obama admin made any progress there?
Yeah, see that big spike upward beginning in 2008? Done a fantastic job.
LOL Obama took office in Jan 2009.  Bad troll is bad.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

FEOS wrote:

The chart in the OP shows funding as a constant percentage of GDP (4%). NATO requires member states to put at least 2% of GDP into defense.

From the almighty Wiki:

the Department of Defense budget is slated to be $664 billion in 2010 (including the cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan previously funded through supplementary budget legislation[34][35]), higher than at any other point in American history, but still 1.1–1.4% lower as a percentage of GDP than the amount spent on military during the peak of Cold-War military spending in the late 1980s.
In 2005, the United States spent 4.06% of its GDP on its military (considering only basic Department of Defense budget spending), more than France's 2.6% and less than Saudi Arabia's 10%.[40]information 2006 This is historically low for the United States since it peaked in 1944 at 37.8% of GDP (it reached the lowest point of 3.0% in 1999–2001). Even during the peak of the Vietnam War the percentage reached a high of 9.4% in 1968.[41] Countries such as Canada and Germany spend only 1.4% of GDP on their military.
So...a little perspective on that graph.

Do we need to increase defense spending? Of course not--it should be cut, particularly after 2014. Nor do we need to provide public funding for broadcasting, either. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of things that our government funds that it shouldn't...or shouldn't fund at the levels it does.

Zero out defense spending and we'll still have ~$1T deficits annually. We've got budgetary problems across the board...far more than a 0.5% GDP increase in defense spending (which, again, shouldn't happen).

To refer to the commentary part of the OP as uninformed does woeful disservice to the term.
If NATO requires 2% be spent on defense, how do Canada and Germany spend less?

I know the current defense spending numbers do not include any further spending authorizations related to Iraq and Afghanistan.  I wonder if the numbers during the Vietnam War mentioned in your quote include these spend dollars, or just the defense budget.  In other words, is it an apples to apples comparison?  I'm too lazy to look it up for comparison.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

How's the deficit doing? Has the Obama admin made any progress there?
Yeah, see that big spike upward beginning in 2008? Done a fantastic job.
LOL Obama took office in Jan 2009.  Bad troll is bad.
Bush was responsible for TARP. Obama was responsible for the auto bailout, the stimulus package, Obamacare, Dodd-Frank, the creation of the consumer advocacy department, the surge in Afghanistan etc. 6 trillion in new debt in 3 1/2 years. He's awesome.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

but you realize Obama took office in 2009 so he couldn't be directly responsible for any spike in 2008 right?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

but you realize Obama took office in 2009 so he couldn't be directly responsible for any spike in 2008 right?
Does it really matter?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

well yes because you made an erroneous statement.  You tried to say Obama was responsible for a spike in spending in 2008, which was before he was sworn into office.  It's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

well yes because you made an erroneous statement.  You tried to say Obama was responsible for a spike in spending in 2008, which was before he was sworn into office.  It's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes.
I admit I'm wrong all the time. You're right, he's not wholly responsible for the spike. He just added to what Bush had started at the end of his term (and earlier with his Medicare Part D bullshit).
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

you think he's partially responsible for the spike in 2008 even though he hadn't been sworn in yet?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you think he's partially responsible for the spike in 2008 even though he hadn't been sworn in yet?
Now who's the troll?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Here you go Ken, I put a nice vertical blue line on the year 2009.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51395/happy-birthday-mr-president.png
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I admit I'm wrong all the time. You're right, he's not wholly responsible for the spike. He just added to what Bush had started at the end of his term (and earlier with his Medicare Part D bullshit).
and not to mention he did order drone strikes on american citizens, bush only ordered it on non-americans.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Now who's the troll?
lets run it back- (paraphrasing)

Jay - see that spike in 2008.  That's Obama's fault
KEN - Obama wasn't in office in 2008
Jay - Does it matter
KEN - Yes, because you said he was responsible for the spike in 2008 when he wasn't in office.
Jay - You're right, he wasn't solely responsible for the spike
KEN - So you're saying he's partially responsible?
Jay - LOL you trollin KEN
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Now who's the troll?
lets run it back-

Jay - see that spike in 2008.  That's Obama's fault (paraphrase)
Jay - Does it matter
KEN - Yes, because you said he was responsible for the spike in 2008 when he wasn't in office.
I was talking about the spike overall, not just the year 2008. I even broke it down for you by putting a vertical line representing the changeover to year 2009.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
if it was trollbert whatevs, but youre a mod ken come on
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

if it was trollbert whatevs, but youre a mod ken come on
he's like on his period or something
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Now who's the troll?
lets run it back-

Jay - see that spike in 2008.  That's Obama's fault (paraphrase)
Jay - Does it matter
I was talking about the spike overall, not just the year 2008. I even broke it down for you by putting a vertical line representing the changeover to year 2009.
So you switched from talking about the spike in 2008 to the spike starting in 2009 (which wasn't brought up until you mentioned it with the graph).  OK.

Who's more responsible for spending, Congress or the President?

I'm on my period for saying you're wrong?  Don't be wrong and I won't need to correct you. Shrug.

Cybargs, you literally bring nothing to the debate.  I get the feeling any comment you make in any topic is either something you read 10 minutes earlier on the internet, a parrot of what someone else said or something your professor talked about in class that day.  You get no points, and everyone here is dumber after reading your comments.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Congress is almost wholly responsible for spending, and if you want to take that tack, include 2008, 2007, and 2006 from the graph and lay it at the feet of the Democratically controlled Congress. Of course, neither president vetoed any of the spending bills, which they had the ability to do and didn't. So they failed at the checks and balances portion of their job.
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The chart in the OP shows funding as a constant percentage of GDP (4%). NATO requires member states to put at least 2% of GDP into defense.

From the almighty Wiki:

the Department of Defense budget is slated to be $664 billion in 2010 (including the cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan previously funded through supplementary budget legislation[34][35]), higher than at any other point in American history, but still 1.1–1.4% lower as a percentage of GDP than the amount spent on military during the peak of Cold-War military spending in the late 1980s.
In 2005, the United States spent 4.06% of its GDP on its military (considering only basic Department of Defense budget spending), more than France's 2.6% and less than Saudi Arabia's 10%.[40]information 2006 This is historically low for the United States since it peaked in 1944 at 37.8% of GDP (it reached the lowest point of 3.0% in 1999–2001). Even during the peak of the Vietnam War the percentage reached a high of 9.4% in 1968.[41] Countries such as Canada and Germany spend only 1.4% of GDP on their military.
So...a little perspective on that graph.

Do we need to increase defense spending? Of course not--it should be cut, particularly after 2014. Nor do we need to provide public funding for broadcasting, either. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of things that our government funds that it shouldn't...or shouldn't fund at the levels it does.

Zero out defense spending and we'll still have ~$1T deficits annually. We've got budgetary problems across the board...far more than a 0.5% GDP increase in defense spending (which, again, shouldn't happen).

To refer to the commentary part of the OP as uninformed does woeful disservice to the term.
If NATO requires 2% be spent on defense, how do Canada and Germany spend less?
Because we let them, and take up the slack...hence our higher spending as a percentage of GDP. When Gates essentially said, "this shit has got to stop; we can't afford to keep letting you ride our coat tails" he got castigated for it.

I know the current defense spending numbers do not include any further spending authorizations related to Iraq and Afghanistan.  I wonder if the numbers during the Vietnam War mentioned in your quote include these spend dollars, or just the defense budget.  In other words, is it an apples to apples comparison?  I'm too lazy to look it up for comparison.
Actually, the current numbers DO include "OCO" funding as part of the baseline defense budget. That is one thing that Obama implemented that I agree with--it makes DoD (as opposed to "defense related") expenditures more accurate. Pretty sure all other wars/police actions/whatever before were also accounted as part of the DoD baseline, adjusted for supplemental appropriations.

RAIMIUS wrote:

Is the US military too large?  Well, for what we are asked to do, I'd say probably not that much.
Now, whether you think the current national defense strategy is wise is a good debate!  If we JUST wanted to defend our borders, we could cut the military by a lot.  If we only wanted to defend our borders and conduct bare minimum participation in our alliances, we could still cut significantly.

MacBeth, which military benefits do you think should be cut and why?

Spearhead wrote:

Libya, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan. We all know full well there are some loony toon neocons who would love nothing more than to have 50,000 troop garrisons in each of those countries if it were physically possible.  What is scary is that there are people who think we can do this forever.
These two statements are tightly bound. What Spearhead fails to grasp is that the National Security Strategy (issued in 2010, signed by Obama) signs the US up for all kinds of shit. Pretty sure Barry wouldn't be classified as a "neocon" by most people. It is that NSS (and the ones before it) that drive the scope of nearly all discretionary spending, particularly defense and diplomatic funding. The narrower the definition/scope of US national interests, the smaller the required military and diplomatic force to protect/further those interests. And thus less associated spending.

Rand Paul had a great opinion piece on CNN today, talking about how he disagreed with Romney's foreign policy speech, even though he supported him on just about every other issue. I think Paul was spot on, personally.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

So then NATO doesn't require 2% GDP, and we should not be held to that rule because other countries aren't.  You really can't make the argument that we spend so much because we are picking up the slack for NATO. Well you can, but it's a weak argument.

To your other points, I'd like to see a breakout of spending - DoD and OCO spending for these past few years and during the Vietnam war, just to be sure.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm also not going to take your word as truth.  I'd rather see the data.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

His target was NPR, not PBS
Is Big Bird on the radio?

Romney wants to cut PBS funding.
https://blogs.ajc.com/mike-luckovich/files/2012/10/mike100712.jpg
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6389
walter white heisenberg top right corner

Spoiler (highlight to read):
also robert barone in the middle next to the lady with her hand over her mouth
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/59426.gif

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2012-10-10 12:19:33)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5474|Ventura, California
Heisenberg!
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6558|Hungary
Use that money to pay that HUGE debt what you have. No need to have an army.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

venom6 wrote:

Use that money to pay that HUGE debt what you have. No need to have an army.
Out of curiosity, what did your country do when it had a genocide taking place along its southern border 15 years ago?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard