Benzin
+576|5989

pirana6 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i do have a movie collection.  it's on a dvd rack in my house
Tell us about the great war too grandpa!
hah!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

i just don't think pirating music/movies/tv shows is morally right, so i try not to do it as much as possible.  If you guys pay for all your downloads then you're good in my book.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6658

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i just don't think pirating music/movies/tv shows is morally right, so i try not to do it as much as possible.  If you guys pay for all your downloads then you're good in my book.
Some streaming services allow you to download free and clear.

But yeah, most of my storage are taken up by 1080P TV series OTA recordings, via my SiliconDust box + HTPC.  Wouldn't be an issue if Hulu carried more OTA shows.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

does anyone know a way I can get skype on my blackberry?  Supposedly the carrier agreement (Sprint) doesn't allow skype to be installed.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

root the phone, side load the app

oh, blackberry? sorry, SoL
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

yeah stupid. they get me a phone for work, add an international plan, and then my boss wants me to only use skype to talk to people overseas.  Um, ok?  what's the point of giving me a phone then?  I can use skype on my iphone...
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6729|Toronto | Canada

can you unlock it and try? or simply a different carrier SIM? im not sure how the BB app store works, its been a while
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

how do i unlock?  According to skype, the only carrier that supports skype on blackberry is Verizon, and I don't have a Verizon sim.
Benzin
+576|5989

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I do agree with you but unfortunately the TV series that I want to watch are not available in my country. At all. So piracy is the only way I can watch great American television.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6707|Riva, MD
I don't have a TV in my room and OnDemand doesn't keep anything for like more than half a year so it's the only way I can get caught up on good shows that I eventually want to watch
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

CapnNismo wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I do agree with you but unfortunately the TV series that I want to watch are not available in my country. At all. So piracy is the only way I can watch great American television.
you can't buy them or pay for a subscription from the channel in the US?  Or you're too lazy/cheap to?
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6380
https://i.imgur.com/TeZxT.jpg
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6707|Riva, MD
What purpose does that serve?
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6699|England. Stoke
Joystick mouse.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.

motherofgod
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6302

sux2bethem
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

how do i unlock?  According to skype, the only carrier that supports skype on blackberry is Verizon, and I don't have a Verizon sim.
every city corner here has a sketchy corner store where they can unlock phones for $5. though a google brought up a ton of sites like this http://iunlockblackberry.com/instructions/ ?

you could just get a prepaid SIM? sounds like a lot of work though
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6558|NYC / Hamburg

max wrote:

Does anyone know if storage spaces works or if it eats all your data? Thought I'd rebuild my server with my old i7 920, stick in a bunch of disks and use that win8 pseudo raid 5. Thoughts?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

i don't know if i'd trust my data to 'pseudo' anything.
Benzin
+576|5989

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you can't buy them or pay for a subscription from the channel in the US?  Or you're too lazy/cheap to?
Nope. If I want to buy them, I have to wait for a season to complete and then a number of months after that the DVDs/BDs MIGHT be released in the US and MIGHT make their way over to Germany/Austria.

I can watch a number of shows on a German channel called "TNT Serie" that license a lot of newer shows from the various American channels (they have stuff from HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc.) but unfortunately it's not always up to date. Sometimes it is ("The Walking Dead" airs on Tuesday on TNT Serie while it is originally aired on Sunday on AMC in the USA) but oftentimes it isn't. Besides, the shows that I want to watch are often not even on TNT Serie, so piracy is truly my only option.

Vienna finds itself just within the reception space of a lot of English channels, so if I shelled out the cash and my apartment faced the right direction, I MIGHT be able to get a satellite signal but the investment costs are just too high. Besides, in order to get the full breadth of channels I would need someone with an address in England who could subscribe for me. I don't have that.

As I said, I'm SOL on that front. I WISH that we had something like Hulu or Netflix but it just doesn't exist here and because neither of those companies has any licensing deals in Europe (I think Netflix is actually in England now, but only with a very limited selection), I'm well and truly fucked. If there was a way I could stream stuff on a regular basis and even go back and watch older shows (I like my old 1990s TV shows, but unfortunately no one has ever heard of them in Germany/Austria, so they're not sold here), I would pay for it instantly.

It's slowly getting better, though, but the whole quagmire that is the licensing business for stuff like this is still pretty thick since there are no EU-wide regulations (that I know of) that concern this topic, so content providers are left to either deal with all the various laws in the larger EU countries or just save the cash they would spend on lawyers and keep it in the USA.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5464|Ventura, California
Which one of these should I get? Feel free to recommend me something better from this same site if you think these aren't good.

Frys Electronics - Lenovo U410

Frys Electronics - Lenovo Z585

One of the major issues I have with laptops is overheating. I've dealt with this problem by taking off the bottom cover and using compressed air cans to remove the dust from the fan every few months. So an important factor in the next laptop I pick is how easy it is to remove the bottom protective cover.

I haven't been in the loop with PCs for two years now and I don't think I will be again anytime soon. What's better these days, ATI or NVIDIA, Intel or AMD?

Another important thing is that I'd like long battery life and a good sized screen of ~15.5''

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2012-10-09 16:39:09)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Whats the durability of ethernet cables like? We have a TV with a Boxee Box hooked up to it in our living room, but streaming 1080p over wireless N from my server isnt great.  I'm thinking of tossing a cable out the window of the living room and into my room (since its right below) to plug into our router for gigabit ethernet.  Will a cable last through a winter with -30C and snow? It is fairly sheltered between 2 houses (which is why nobody will notice it either).
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6681|Devon, England
Googled and got this:

http://www.controleng.com/channels/syst … 10570.html

Those go to -50C, so not sure what standards can go to...

Maybe something from these guys: http://www.belden.com/products/browse/i … cables.cfm

Last edited by FFLink (2012-10-09 18:24:17)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6658

Yeah, plenty of pricey outdoor cables.  But are you going to drill a hole in the wall, or leave a gap open in the window, come winter time?

What kind of wireless do you have?  I have one capable of 300Mbps (Dual N) that streams 1080P from downstairs to the bedrooms upstairs just fine.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

ya, i feel like that would be absurdly expensive and not even possible for me to buy without getting 1km of it.  it looks like cat6 is fairly durable and you can get variants meant for outside. and i can possibly put it in a pvc tube? i can get normal and possibly outside cat6 for free so id rather find a way to protect that than pay for a cable meant to withstand tank rounds

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard