Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713
you can still purchase retail if you can find a copy, but seriously an MMO that has been "sold out" lol. least they're attempting to keep the quality high instead of having more people flood the servers.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4251

Cybargs wrote:

you can still purchase retail if you can find a copy, but seriously an MMO that has been "sold out" lol. least they're attempting to keep the quality high instead of having more people flood the servers.
Actually the game quality has still been pretty much shit for those that have the game.

75% of the game's features are disabled or not working properly.

There are no attempts to control server population across regions (i.e. everyone clusterfucks on 2/3 'pro' servers).

I give this game 3 months. I wanted to give it 3 years. Can't lie, though. It's not a good MMORPG, which is what they claimed they were making.

TERA Online, the Korean grind-a-thon, was better than this.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-03 11:18:24)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

aynrandroolz wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Actually the game quality has still been pretty much shit for those that have the game.

75% of the game's features are disabled or not working properly.

There are no attempts to control server population across regions (i.e. everyone clusterfucks on 2/3 'pro' servers).

I give this game 3 months. I wanted to give it 3 years. Can't lie, though. It's not a good MMORPG, which is what they claimed they were making.

TERA Online, the Korean grind-a-thon, was better than this.
that's why i wrote "attempted"

fucking traders are always down and i keep getting bumped into overflow =.=

le sigh NCsoft, le sigh.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
rdx-fx
+955|6588
For solo play, and as a casual game, I'm having fun with GW2.

Just wish they had a checkbox for "leave me in the damn overflow, I really don't care. I'm a casual solo player right now"

I find the human models to be a little too effeminate, so I'm having fun with the Norn.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4251
I actually think the biggest flaws aren't MMO-launch technical hitches, they're more like actual consequences of the game's intrinsic design. The new levelling/questing system, for all the fuss they made about it, is actually incredibly boring and repetitive. It's more boring and repetitive than the 'traditional' quest-hub method, where you go out and complete 10-15 generic quests and get a large reward (which has a sort of process/procedural compulsive pleasure in it). Instead you're just expected to stumble around, doing accidental/incidental tasks for 80 levels - which is made much less appealing by the fact that E V E R Y single quest is the same "click an interactable object, kill a mob, talk to some NPC's" task, literally without fail. It's like they had a huge bit of design innovation with the way you pick up quests, but the quests themselves for all intents and purposes are exactly the same as in previous MMO's. Only perhaps less rewarding and less compelling to do, because of their sheer 'accidental' quality, where you give even less of a shit (if that's possible) than you did in previous MMO's.

All this leads to much solo play and hardly any social interaction, either. In other MMO's there are incentives to partying up and to actually talking to other players. The dynamic events in this game surely enough involve large numbers of players... but none of them ever say anything to one another, or even stop for 5 minutes to gel and form a bit of community cohesion. It's like silent. You do the event and then you move on, never talking to or seeing any of those players you just cooperated with. It's so hollow. I had 100x more fun teaming up in a group to do big-mob farming on TERA (a boring, repetitive task that could go on for hours... yet was worth it for the comparative XP gains, and actually involved loads of tiny little social perqs and spontaneous moments that are far better than any scripted-cinematic 'dynamic event).

Haven't played endgame yet to give a verdict on the Holy Trinity overhaul, but if cooperation and team-play in WvWvW/sPvP or general world questing is anything to go by, it's a bold move that has respectfully ended in a crock of shit. I know people are bored of themepark-style MMO's, but really I wonder if reinventing the wheel has actually led to a better overall vehicle, for once. I find myself aching for a more traditional MMO that keeps the palpable qualities of the genre that we all know and love.

Also not saying anything about how crappy the zone-loading is, teleport-everywhere-transport, heavily instanced/sharded nature of the game-world, etc. which practically destroys the game's 'massive' feel for me. That's a small and intangible thing that many may not miss, but being able to literally walk seamlessly across a continent in WoW, in one big server-world, was a big plus. Having to change server shard everytime you cross an imaginary border/loading screen, and then saying /bye to all the players in the last zone (maybe even to be moved afresh to Overflow... again) is not really 'massive' or 'epic' feeling for me. But we're straying into MMO metaphysics there, which may not mean much to some. For me though, it's hugely deflating.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-03 12:55:21)

rdx-fx
+955|6588
I like the more organic questing of GW2, as opposed to the "fetch me a shrubbery!" questing of WoW.

The lack of forced social interaction is a plus too.
You *can* group with people you know and like, without being forced into PUGs with random idiots.
That forced interaction is what killed WoW for me

The teleportation of GW2 is a plus. Much better than being forced to watch a 5 minute flight in WoW.

I think (I hope) the "overflow purgatory" fades, once the number of players starts settling into a stable long-term number.

I like the heavily instanced resource nodes, the level balancing in zones you're overlevel for, and equitable xp/loot sharing for helping with kills outside of a party.
All of these lend to a more friendly, more cooperative environment.
Rather than every other player being seen as a potential competitor, they are a potential ally (at best), or have no effect on your gameplay.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713
i love how killing shit gives you minimal XP but if you feed some cows on a quest you get way more XP lol. and playing as human everyone goes "YOURE THE HERO OF SHAEMORE YOU KILLED SOME CENTUARS!"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I bought this from gamestop because the CE wasn't being sold on Amazon. I'm having to go through customer support to get my pre-order stuff...just like the last bajillion times I've ever ordered something from Gamestop. Those guys are the worst retailer ever when it comes to getting people their pre-order crap.

Back in like 2006, I've even had them tell me for a week that my stuff wasn't in yet. One day I walked in and saw it on the shelf with a price tag.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6408|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

Cybargs wrote:

i love how killing shit gives you minimal XP but if you feed some cows on a quest you get way more XP lol. and playing as human everyone goes "YOURE THE HERO OF SHAEMORE YOU KILLED SOME CENTUARS!"
Cause we're awesome like that

As if they couldn't handle a giant earth elemental ripping the ground apart.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6718|Ireland | Monaghan

Is there any way to turn the authentication thing that you need to do when you log on using a new IP? My fucking ip changes daily and it's pissing me off having to do this shit.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke

Cybargs wrote:

I place an order with Amazon the other day, "temporarily out of stock".
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke
Finally got my copy yesterday.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London
Get on the Desolation server and join our guild
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5962|London, England

dont do it its a trap
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Mutantbear

we could use 5 people for sweet dunogens though
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4251
this is a really bad game and i'm genuinely surprised you guys are playing it.

compared to the gamut of new 'major' MMO's in the last 5-6 years, post-WoW, this one sinks somewhere near the bottom for me.

i feel like everyone is trying to maintain this collective hype-delusion that "it's a really gud game guise!", when it's just not.

sPvP is worse than gw1 in every single conceivable way (having far less skills does not help). WvWvW is a joke. PvE is terrible. levelling is more boring than in any other MMO i have ever played - it's more repetitive, more shallow, more sandbox-like than even the worst WoW expansions. half of the classes are pretty much useless: they are much more difficult to play than 'core' classes and have no real payoff or benefit for the extra skill-involved (looking at you mesmer, thief, necro, rip glass cannons). they never fixed the BIGGEST glaring issue from the FIRST beta: ranged always >>> melee. there is no reason to ever use melee in a dungeon, big boss, or multi-person pvp encounter. ranged wins everytime. the amount of skill and responsiveness required of a melee player is both too high and too pointless. add to that the fact there really is no 'high' end esports level of gameplay in this game. gw1, again, had better balance and a far more competitive pvp system.

oh and it's not even a real mmo. it's just a slightly upgraded version of the gw1 architecture that they've tried to rebrand. loading screens between separately instanced, sharded zones. insta-teleport everywhere, completely defeating the point of a massive in-game world. no transport system or meaningful sense of space and worldsize. what a fucking dud. 80 levels of discontinuous levelling sandboxes, all with the same shit in them, over and over and over. and then no real endgame or pvp worth practicing.

i hope that terrible mists of pandaria bullshit buries this massive over-marketed scam. i give the 'major' popularity 3 months to die off. then it'll just be jaded gw1 players. oh and 15yo redditors who want to constantly make threads saying "look guise! look how awesome this new gw2 feature is!!!!" when it's plainly not, all it has going for it is the simple fact that it's 'unique' to gw2.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-19 05:11:37)

Mutantbear

aynrandroolz wrote:

compared to the gamut of new 'major' MMO's in the last 5-6 years, post-WoW, this one sinks somewhere near the bottom for me.

i feel like everyone is trying to maintain this collective hype-delusion that "it's a really gud game guise!", when it's just not.

sPvP is worse than gw1 in every single conceivable way (having far less skills does not help). WvWvW is a joke. PvE is terrible. levelling is more boring than in any other MMO i have ever played - it's more repetitive, more shallow, more sandbox-like than even the worst WoW expansions. half of the classes are pretty much useless: they are much more difficult to play than 'core' classes and have no real payoff or benefit for the extra skill-involved (looking at you mesmer, thief, necro, rip glass cannons). they never fixed the BIGGEST glaring issue from the FIRST beta: ranged always >>> melee. there is no reason to ever use melee in a dungeon, big boss, or multi-person pvp encounter. ranged wins everytime. the amount of skill and responsiveness required of a melee player is both too high and too pointless. add to that the fact there really is no 'high' end esports level of gameplay in this game. gw1, again, had better balance and a far more competitive pvp system.

oh and it's not even a real mmo. it's just a slightly upgraded version of the gw1 architecture that they've tried to rebrand. loading screens between separately instanced, sharded zones. insta-teleport everywhere, completely defeating the point of a massive in-game world. no transport system or meaningful sense of space and worldsize. what a fucking dud. 80 levels of discontinuous levelling sandboxes, all with the same shit in them, over and over and over. and then no real endgame or pvp worth practicing.

i hope that terrible mists of pandaria bullshit buries this massive over-marketed scam. i give the 'major' popularity 3 months to die off. then it'll just be jaded gw1 players. oh and 15yo redditors who want to constantly make threads saying "look guise! look how awesome this new gw2 feature is!!!!" when it's plainly not, all it has going for it is the simple fact that it's 'unique' to gw2.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4251
i can't even tell if you're taking the piss out of yourself or not, cause when you're not sat inside playing bad games, you're sat inside watching anime.
Mutantbear

ya
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

bit mad
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4839|Amsterdam
I would love to say you're wrong, but i'm afraid that's not the case.
The instance based map doesn't bother me all that much and the repetative quest wouldn't be such an issue if they didn't market them as a completely new and exciting way of non-grind questing (it clearly isn't, the events boil down to the same old standard shit from every MMO).
I don't see myself playing this game all that much in 3 months time. I probably wouldn't have been playing it at all already if it weren't for the other people on this forum playing the game.

So far I'm still having fun with the game, but what kills it for me (and what will eventually make me quit) is the lack of the MMO-trinity. The fact that each class is DPS completely wrecks the game, in PvP and especially PvE. Dungeons can be fun but they just feel like a clusterfuck of spamming 1-5 (which is surprisingly few buttons for an MMO; this is due to the lack of skill variety).

It's still fun to play (with others), but this isn't a game that lasts.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-09-19 08:24:26)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4251

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

bit mad
not mad, just thousands/hundreds of hours clocked in just about every single mainstream MMO since WoW... have seen enough to know when one is a failure, and why. it's hardly rocket science by this point. same standard fare: massive hype, 'it's different this time!', 'this company are messiahs!', 'they really care about gaming!', etc. just another scheme to make loads of money, and a fairly poor game to show for it. gw2 has so many problems at endgame and high-level play that it's not even funny. arenanet's latest changes seem to be pretty funny as well, demonstrating absolutely no understanding of the hardcore community and what makes or breaks a good game. i'm sure gw2 is fun and pretty whilst you level through your first character or two - but what else is there to do in the game? there is no meaningful sPvP system right now. having no itemisation exacerbates this problem greatly. arenanet have clamped down on grinding... whilst still requiring loads of (now restricted) grinding to get the leetz-looking gear. commanders in wvwvw are routinely ignored and laughed at; it's still a zergy mess. what is there to do with your level 80? get 100% world completion? oh gz, you have the loremaster achievement from WoW - something that had zero respect or merit then, and definitely doesn't have it now.

i salute them for making bold design changes and for trying to revive an ailing genre. however, change does not automatically = progress. i don't feel they have progressed the mmo genre in any meaningful way with gw2. it's novel, for a while, and then it's shallow and hollow... like almost every other mainstream mmo to be released in the last 4-5 years. some love the new levelling and xp system, which seems mostly to be personal preference, as i and quite a lot of my old-mmo friends absolutely detest it. the 'dynamic' quests and 'revolutionary' levelling method is nothing but a turd dressed up with a few shiny baubles. it's still the same old turd. every quest boils down to the same 3-4 basic cookie-cutter tasks. every dynamic event is a total 'i don't give a fuck what's going on', 'i'm not talking or actually working with anyone' snorefest. people are already registering widespread complaint and boredom on the official forums.

like i said, i give it 3-4 months. this game will not retain a massive community. and its strong-points are all inferior to gw1's strongpoints. if you want hardcore arena pvp, you're better off dusting off your old gw1 copy. so much for 'progression'. game is honestly the let down of the year for me. especially with the unfixed problems w/r/t melee vs. ranged, camera being a beta-level piece of shit, fov being unalterable and shit, etc. it just reeks of 'rushed to meet the hype'.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-19 09:22:01)

Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London

aynrandroolz wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

bit mad
not mad, just thousands/hundreds of hours clocked in just about every single mainstream MMO since WoW... have seen enough to know when one is a failure, and why. it's hardly rocket science by this point. same standard fare: massive hype, 'it's different this time!', 'this company are messiahs!', 'they really care about gaming!', etc. just another scheme to make loads of money, and a fairly poor game to show for it. gw2 has so many problems at endgame and high-level play that it's not even funny. arenanet's latest changes seem to be pretty funny as well, demonstrating absolutely no understanding of the hardcore community and what makes or breaks a good game. i'm sure gw2 is fun and pretty whilst you level through your first character or two - but what else is there to do in the game? there is no meaningful sPvP system right now. having no itemisation exacerbates this problem greatly. arenanet have clamped down on grinding... whilst still requiring loads of (now restricted) grinding to get the leetz-looking gear. commanders in wvwvw are routinely ignored and laughed at; it's still a zergy mess. what is there to do with your level 80? get 100% world completion? oh gz, you have the loremaster achievement from WoW - something that had zero respect or merit then, and definitely doesn't have it now.

i salute them for making bold design changes and for trying to revive an ailing genre. however, change does not automatically = progress. i don't feel they have progressed the mmo genre in any meaningful way with gw2. it's novel, for a while, and then it's shallow and hollow... like almost every other mainstream mmo to be released in the last 4-5 years. some love the new levelling and xp system, which seems mostly to be personal preference, as i and quite a lot of my old-mmo friends absolutely detest it. the 'dynamic' quests and 'revolutionary' levelling method is nothing but a turd dressed up with a few shiny baubles. it's still the same old turd. every quest boils down to the same 3-4 basic cookie-cutter tasks. every dynamic event is a total 'i don't give a fuck what's going on', 'i'm not talking or actually working with anyone' snorefest. people are already registering widespread complaint and boredom on the official forums.

like i said, i give it 3-4 months. this game will not retain a massive community. and its strong-points are all inferior to gw1's strongpoints. if you want hardcore arena pvp, you're better off dusting off your old gw1 copy. so much for 'progression'. game is honestly the let down of the year for me. especially with the unfixed problems w/r/t melee vs. ranged, camera being a beta-level piece of shit, fov being unalterable and shit, etc. it just reeks of 'rushed to meet the hype'.
I've really not seen anyone on reddit, in-game or on forums saying that this game will last more than a few months. The general concensus is that there is a palpably finite amount of things to do and there is no real endgame. Almost no one is bothering with 100% world completion or legendary weapon crafting because both are so mindlessly dull.

What I am enjoying at the moment is working towards a full set of level 80 exotic gear, and am aiming to complete all the dungeons in both story and exploration mode with the bf2s guildmembers. I reckon in total I'll be done with the game within a month or two but it will be a fun experience. I know your hopes and expectations of the game were high but that's really nobody's fault but yours. I didn't expect much more than a 200 hour distraction for my 50 bucks and I guess that's why I don't feel disappointed if the MMO mechanics aren't exactly groundbreaking.

Also in sPvP the 3 strongest classes at the moment are mesmer, thief and guardian- two of which are glass cannon melee. Being strong in 1v1 situations and being hard to shift off of points is much more important than any advantage being ranged gives you.
And in PvE dungeons melee is only bad if you're 100% melee- I switch between range and melee every 10 seconds as melee dps is several orders of magnitude higher than ranged dps. Pretty much all bosses have an opening where you can melee burst them before backing off.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

aynrandroolz wrote:

This is a really old forum and I'm genuinely surprised that you're posting on it.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |

I'm not gonna read anything that was posted cause effort, but I haven't turned the game on in like 3 days. The only game worth playing is League Of Legends and it's free, cause it's class.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard