Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6737|Toronto | Canada

but why? i dont even see a reason to update if you have a 4s
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

The lack of 4G on Sprints 4s kept me away, otherwise we'd have 4s already.  Assuming all those bands are kept on the Sprint iPhone 5 version, we're a go.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

im pretty sure that still makes you a flock of sheep
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Will be the family phones.  I'll get the Note 2 or something similar for work.  I get a significant work phone reimbursement.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

way too big for me, i think im going to wait to see what the next nexus looks like before i consider changing my SGSII
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I'm tempted by the 16G iPhone 5. I love my "old-fashioned" flip-phone, but I'm running into more situations where I'm asked to text or send photos or e-mail over cell. If I hadn't squashed my old Blackberry underneath the tires of a massive cube van, I'd still be using that.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

its not even out and its outdated... check out some newer androids and win8 phones first
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I'm only thinking about it because it would meet my needs and, for the kicker, work with some of the MIDI equipment I own, including the AKAI SynthStation I got used for $20.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

1. Memtest 4 DIMMs for 10 errors in 15 hours.
2. Memtest 2 DIMMs for 0 errors in 5 hours.
3. Think I'm probably good to go? Decide to websurf for about an hour. kernel_data_inpage_error bluescreen.
4. ...
5. Profit.

Since that popped up again, I'm probably going to go with my original suspicion and try RMAing the drive.

e: dare I hope that the memtest errors were a fluke and that upgrading the crucial M4 from 0002 firmware to 000f actually made the difference? I read that after a certain amount of operating hours, it can go funky on the old versions and lead to bluescreens. maybe I was sitting on a time bomb the whole time.....

well, time for a massive write test.
Benzin
+576|5997
Google will likely release a new Nexus phone in a month or two, hang tight and wait for that. Nokia just dropped their new Lumia phone and it's pretty badass, so wait for the newest Android device and then make your decision.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2012-09-13 00:14:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

And so I'm reminded that at around this time last year, I reinstalled my fresh Windows installation and grabbed the .net frameworks manually, because windows update fucking sucks at it and will fuck it up 95% of the time and cause hour-eating problems.

e: Now Windows Update is in a fucking dither and can't figure out which updates it's already installed and which it hasn't. Le-reinstall.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6566|NYC / Hamburg

CapnNismo wrote:

Google will likely release a new Nexus phone in a month or two
ohhhh. Link?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

pretty sure people are just assuming based on their normal release schedule
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

And so I'm reminded that at around this time last year, I reinstalled my fresh Windows installation and grabbed the .net frameworks manually, because windows update fucking sucks at it and will fuck it up 95% of the time and cause hour-eating problems.

e: Now Windows Update is in a fucking dither and can't figure out which updates it's already installed and which it hasn't. Le-reinstall.
You're not still using XP right?

RIGHT?

edito: Let me clarify, I reinstall an operating system about once a day on clients computers that F them up.
XP: 4 hours with restarts,
7: 45 min with restarts

(that's both starting at the latest service packs and are plain aside from that)

Last edited by pirana6 (2012-09-13 08:17:48)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Downlaoding at roughly 2mb/sec, grabbing all the correct device drivers after checking for updates and carefully wading through the buggy morass that is Windows 7 update still takes a terribly long time. Probably less so with versions of 7 other than Enterprise or Ultimate, but whatever.

Made the grievous error of selecting ALL THE UPDATES and watching it conspicuously collapse cost me even more.

Microsoft has a valid point about it being difficult to keep up with all the little hotfixes, but it would be nice if for once I found a list of recently familiar complaints...in posts from early 2011...that were actually addressed in Sep 2012.

e: typos! I must be tired
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Making the grievous error of selecting ALL THE UPDATES and watching it conspicuously collapse cost me even more.
Hmmm. Either I'm dumb or I just trust Microsoft more (likely the former). I do click ALL and pick out the stupid software extras (e.g. windows defender) and let Microsoft do the rest. If it fails I'll restart and do the process over again. Eventually I'll have a computer with most* of the drivers I need and fully updated.

*Usually it gets them all, but from time to time I have to Device Manager that bitch and find them myself. The key is I let Microsoft automatically find most before I arduously get the rest rather than me get them all (and take that much extra time).
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

moving from frustratingly slow 3G hotspot internet shared between 4 people to 28/1 unlimited internet tonight. so excited to be able to use it again
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

pirana6 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Making the grievous error of selecting ALL THE UPDATES and watching it conspicuously collapse cost me even more.
Hmmm. Either I'm dumb or I just trust Microsoft more (likely the former). I do click ALL and pick out the stupid software extras (e.g. windows defender) and let Microsoft do the rest. If it fails I'll restart and do the process over again. Eventually I'll have a computer with most* of the drivers I need and fully updated.

*Usually it gets them all, but from time to time I have to Device Manager that bitch and find them myself. The key is I let Microsoft automatically find most before I arduously get the rest rather than me get them all (and take that much extra time).
The last time I did that on this PC, Windows Update wove me into a mess I had to dig out of by figuring out which problematic drivers it installed and replacing them with ones from the manufacturers' sites.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Never ever use Microsoft's version of peripheral drivers, unless the only ones that exist are version 1.0 that came with the OS.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

^right, but I was curious to see what would happen last time and, for once, had time to burn.

Also using Safari because it was the ONLY FUCKING BROWSER that didn't get slammed with funmods toolbar when I attempted to install paint.net. If I hadn't already installed a dozen applications, I'd just roll back to post-SP1 update.

e: uninstalled affected browsers and their settings and destroyed ALL THE instances referring to funmods. Paint.net's website is a morass of misleading links. Got the real one from cnet instead.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Windows 8 doesn't even install the .NET frameworks by default nor make them an update option.  You have to go to some area where it manages services and opt-in to whichever .NET frameworks you need and then it downloads and installs them in the background.

Not saying it applies to you, it's just another weird thing that I noticed about it that was pissing me off at first because one of my games needed it and I couldn't figure out how to get it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

lol Windows 8.

Seriously though...three days of desktop downtime could've been three minutes if Crucial had just posted news about their M4's issues with early firmware and that "YOU BETTER UPDATE!" on their front page. Or even their drive's page.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6545
Thought I would share.  Since the harddrive died in the car and I had to remove the PC and screen, I have been exploring what to do next.  Either install a 7in tablet or this and reuse my screen.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia
looking to get a birthday present for a friend. one of the options is a gaming mouse. had http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm suggested to me. looks like hell but i'm told it's supposed to be uber on ergonomics and functionality. anybody has one of those? i'd appreciate some opinions.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard