FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

heggs wrote:

I don't mind them naming places and ships after notable Confederate people. I do, however, have a serious problem with the Confederate Flag. In my opinion, THAT should not be allowed to be waved in this country at all.
The flag you have a problem with is the Confederate battle flag. The flag(s) of the CSA (there were a handful) would probably not be recognized by anyone other than a history buff.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

FEOS wrote:

heggs wrote:

I don't mind them naming places and ships after notable Confederate people. I do, however, have a serious problem with the Confederate Flag. In my opinion, THAT should not be allowed to be waved in this country at all.
The flag you have a problem with is the Confederate battle flag. The flag(s) of the CSA (there were a handful) would probably not be recognized by anyone other than a history buff.
Guarantee no one finds this offensive

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg/800px-CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg.png
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
i do
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

i do
you find everything white people do offensive tho
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
that's what happens when you major in chicano studies
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6734|FUCK UBISOFT

fuck the NAACP.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

i majored in your moms buttcheeks
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6584

eleven bravo wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hurri's mom is Chicano?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
hurri is a spic, yes.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney

eleven bravo wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

You're a major shit?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Don't really get the point, do you.
Hey man, I was just having fun. 
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6381|New York

Spearhead wrote:

heggs wrote:

You feel that certain flags should not be allowed?  What about your FEDERALLY PROTECTED rights and first amendment?

/facepalm
Read further back. I agreed with someone else who said the same thing earlier in the thread, taking back my statement. Facepalm right back atcha.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6725|Cambridge, England

1stSFOD-Delta wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

The U.S. Navy has named a bunch of ships over the years after Confederate leaders including Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. I'm sure there are plenty of cities, roads, landmarks and other things named after them too. Do you think the U.S. government or we as a people should avoid or have a de facto ban on naming things about Confed leaders? No matter how good of generals they were or honorable or anything, they were still traitors who rebelled against their government and country. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards stripping them of any and all posthumous honors.

What do you think?

Now before someone chims in with "what are we supposed to name things after?!''. How about we name things after people who didn't nearly rip the country apart?
Shouldn't name anything after anybody American, you are all traitors who rebelled against our government.
eat shit and die
Point was just because somebody lost doesn't mean they were evil and all traces should be removed from history. There are 2 sides to everything with both good men and bad men on each side.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
but we didnt lose
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6725|Cambridge, England
Still traitors that rebelled against government as stated in OP as reason for pretending they didnt exist.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Still traitors that rebelled against government as stated in OP as reason for pretending they didnt exist.
I think the English should tear down any sign that says "Washington."

There's still discussion about whether or not secession was rightfully treason or not. The US then was more of a decentralized union, with emphasis on state vs federal power.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Spearhead wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Look, did we reintegrate the south or didn't we? Loyalty to your state was more of a driving force than loyalty to the union. I can see how federal loyalists would have an issue with the confederate flag (history painting things as it has), but not the people caught up in the civil war. What about all the land and homes razed by Union forces? Should we blacklist northern leaders as well? Remove Lincoln from US currency?
1. No, we didn't reintegrate the South.  Hence the vast network of military bases, and Jim Crow.  Good article http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 69,00.html

2. Loyalty to the Union was always the driving force behind the Civil war.  Kmar already explained it was a war between people who considered themselves Americans.  Loyalty to your state was more of a driving force?  Where'd you ever hear that?

3. People have an issue with the confederate flag because it is a message to others that says "the second the Federal government does something I don't like, or the second a President gets elected whom I think will do something I don't like (Lincoln), I'm going to violently attempt to take over federal property". (Fort Sumter).  And of course, the whole slavery thing.

4. No one has ever said the Union did not do bad things.  You, on the other hand, seem to believe "history painting things as it has" is the reason people associate the Confederate flag with slavery.  As if it's just an artificial "painting" over some higher truth.

5. Blacklist the abolitionists?  Blacklist a President?  Because people have an issue with naming things after a fake President?  Okay, dude, lol...
1. I thought I was being fairly facetious on that point. Look, the CSA is a non-entity. The south has been reabsorbed into the union, regardless of cultural differences throughout the US.

2. lol @ "where'd you ever hear that." While you're being snippy, can I ask you if you've ever read anything on the history of American culture? Back then, it was common to see people identify themselves as citizens of a state before being called "Americans." Robert E. Lee himself refused a union command because he didn't want to take up arms against Virginia. A civil war being what it is, many of those who eagerly threw their lot in with the south didn't consider themselves to be committing treason against anything. National identity grew in time, but it wasn't always like that.

3. I've already said I can see where people would have an issue with the confederate flag nowadays, being avowed federal loyalists. However, the civil war is over, and it's important to not hold grudges against the American people and families involved, nor deprive the descendants of "repatriated" Americans their heritage if you don't want to drive the wedge between the "north" and "south" in farther. If you still want to call the "president" of the south a butthead, go ahead; he was.

4. I seem to believe that? Winners traditionally paint history in their favor. The confederate flag is associated with slavery because that's what the media focus on the American civil war is. That said, see 3. Also, go read about slavery in the north, if you can find a book that doesn't skip all the unpleasant facts.

5. I was making absurd suggestions to highlight the absurdity of this entire issue.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

2. lol @ "where'd you ever hear that." While you're being snippy, can I ask you if you've ever read anything on the history of American culture? Back then, it was common to see people identify themselves as citizens of a state before being called "Americans." Robert E. Lee himself refused a union command because he didn't want to take up arms against Virginia. A civil war being what it is, many of those who eagerly threw their lot in with the south didn't consider themselves to be committing treason against anything. National identity grew in time, but it wasn't always like that.
Case in point:

Prior to the Civil War, the USA was referred to (internally) as "These United States of America" after the war, it was referred to as "The United States of America." A subtle, but distinct, difference.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Should things be named after people?

No, it smacks of North Korean personaility cultism.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

I am not black so I have no idea how it must feel to have to go to a school, play in a park, live on a street, drive on a road, and celebrate a holiday named after a person who started a war in order to make sure you stayed property.

However it must feel I am sure the fact that "it is their culture!!11" doesn't make it any better.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-08-10 12:54:29)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

I think the English should tear down any sign that says "Washington."

There's still discussion about whether or not secession was rightfully treason or not. The US then was more of a decentralized union, with emphasis on state vs federal power.
there is also still discussion of whether the moon landing was a hoax
Tu Stultus Es
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
Buzz Aldrin believes in aliens and denies global warming
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
so do a lot of others
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6535|Texas - Bigger than France
Dunno about Robert E Lee supporting slavery btw...anyone else heard that one before?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
he supported it enough to own black people
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard