Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I don't know anyone who's seen Dark Knight but not Batman Begins.
Really?
I know several. Some just couldn't be bothered but most weren't even aware of its existence.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

I just found out a friend of mine went to see DKR and had never heard of Batman Begins.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

I hope in this thread we assume everyone has seen the film. I'll use spoiler tags for safety.

I wouldn't say there were any plot holes, none that were immediately obvious anyway. I imagine a few might come out of the woodwork later on, this is a Nolan film after all. Not that this is a bad thing, Nolan spins wide stories, to better sell everything I imagine some things unavoidably rely a little on a suspension of disbelief. You're watching a movie about a billionaire who fixes society by beating up poor people, there's no need to be pedantic.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm just going to rattle off a few thoughts in no particular order. The ending... well it would have been a gutsy move to kill off Bruce Wayne but I don't think people really wanted to see it if they're honest with themselves. Yeah it was cheesy but it was nice, though I don't understand why Alfred was so upset given that he was so nonplussed to see Bruce alive. Robin... nyeh, could take him or leave him. John Blake was a great character, making him Robin was an obvious move but I don't think it was called for and in a way makes me thankful Nolan is letting it go at three. And no, it has nothing to do with Chris O'Donnell.

Bane was a good villain but he lacked something the Joker had that made him so iconic in TDK; a presence even when he was not on the screen. When Bane was on screen he was great, but you could be forgiven for forgetting about him when he wasn't. His final reveal as lackey/shock trooper to Talia was a tad disappointing though not necessarily a bad thing. The constant switching and changing around of his story was reminiscent of my least favourite parts of TDK, (i.e. when everyone's double-guessing everyone else's motives,) especially when you realise that Bane's back story has never really mattered. The Joker's background was never explored and the character was no weaker for it. And when talking about the children of Ras al Ghul? C'mon, anyone who knows a bit about the DC universe knew where that one was headed. Still Bane proved the physical and intellectual match for Batman and he did it well, Tom Hardy was fantastic. The voice was a little unintelligible at times but in the important parts you got what he said. I think the cinema I saw this at was having some equalisation issues too. Either that or this is going to be one of those annoying movies that when you're watching it at home you have to turn down the action scenes and turn up the quiet ones.

Also on the subject of  the Joker, he did have a conspicuous absence, especially when you have throwbacks to Cillian Murphy, (who was probably relieved Nolan decided against putting a sack over his head for once.) Thing is while Joker was missing I don't think he would have added anything, he probably would have even seemed a little out of place. Though had Heath Ledger lived I'm sure Nolan would have found something for him to do which would have been interesting to see. Oh well.

One thing I did particularly like was that Nolan got the same feeling that TDK had which was the continually escalating chaos and this little voice in the back of your head that insisted that things couldn't possibly get worse. The sense of hopelessness. That was great so see. All in all I found it to be a very engaging film. Sure it jarred along a bit with its structure, so much so that I'm having difficulty remembering everything in the order it happened. But fantastically acted, directed, great cinematography, exceptionally fitting score, great set pieces. At times you could almost forget you were watching a movie about a rich guy who dresses up as a bat and talks in that ridiculous voice.

Nolan did good by me. I'm not even going to give my opinion the qualifier "It was great but..." Hell, it was great. I really enjoyed it.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam
My brother is going tonight without having seen batman begins. I explained to him how he's going to out on a lot of info, but he's one of those people that probably woulnd't even notice that he's missing something and will most likely assume that the holes are intentional and meant as quirky references to only the most die-hard of comic geeks.
I bet that as soon as he's back he'll tell me how dissapointed he was, which will be most liekly be contributed to the fact that he didn't have a clue what was going on after 2/3rd of the movie.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
That feeling of serious evil and hopelessness was well done.  There were several scenes where I was thinking, "this is downright disturbing."
I did miss the people of Gotham.  In the Dark Knight, they actually had some roles to play, to highlight the beliefs of the main characters.  Here, they just seemed like a prop.  (Insert Gotham mob here)
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6546|London
Decent film, better than Batman Begins but worse than Dark Knight.

Tom Hardy was a bit meh as Bane, the voiceover thing really killed it. Nothing can really match heath Ledger's Joker and bane was overall very forgettable.
The twist with the villain was also completely predictable I thought (and I know nothing of the Batman lore).
The Alfred-Bruce interactions in this film were awful and felt really forced. I think Nolan didn't really know how to develop their relationship any further.
Cat Woman and Detective Blake were awesome.
I enjoyed the ending.

Ty wrote:

Also on the subject of  the Joker, he did have a conspicuous absence, especially when you have throwbacks to Cillian Murphy, (who was probably relieved Nolan decided against putting a sack over his head for once.) Thing is while Joker was missing I don't think he would have added anything, he probably would have even seemed a little out of place.
I believe not mentioning Joker was done intentionally out of respect for Ledger.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
god I hate it when people say heath ledge was such a great joker.  all the cocksucker did was lick his lips contsantly.
Tu Stultus Es
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

I hate it when people hate on hipsters

its so boring, they think they are so cool and edgy by hating a group of people that think they are cool and edgy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Are you being cool and edgy now?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

eleven bravo wrote:

all the cocksucker did was lick his lips contsantly.
https://i.imgur.com/MOG40.jpg
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Chris Nolan sucks and his movies are shite
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5007|Massachusetts, USA
Sorry you didn't like it. Im sure you must have better taste in movies.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
bennisboy
+829|6617|Poundland
I thought the film was good, but not as amazing as everyone had hyped it to be.

Probably gonna get killed for this, but i actually enjoyed "The Amazing Spiderman" more.

This film felt like a big blur really (although I was slightly drunk). And I can't really remember any scenes that blew me away like in the last two
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Just saw it. It was really good.

I wanted to see batman suffer moar. The acting was excellent. The jumpiness between scenes made it feel very comic-booky, which I liked.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2012-07-26 15:50:47)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5970|...
That pit scene was a bit strange tho. Suddenly he meets mr. Yoda (or something) who mentors him through it and for some reason noone but a little girl made it up a hilariously easy climb.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-07-27 02:17:28)

inane little opines
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

Spearhead wrote:

Chris Nolan sucks and his movies are shite
Mass Effect has an incredible story.

Chris Nolan is bad.

Frostbite is the best video game engine ever coded.

This is what spearhead actually believes.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

That pit scene was a bit strange tho. Suddenly he meets mr. Yoda (or something) who mentors him through it and for some reason noone but a little girl made it up a hilariously easy climb.
That's because of the rope. With the rope on you get dragged down a bit and are unable to make the jump, but without it you can, but there's the risk of actually dying.

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-07-27 02:19:59)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

it's not a test of climbing prowess
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

UnkleRukus wrote:

Yes.

You have to shut your brain off and accept whatever is happening on screen as happening just cause

So how did Bane know where Morgan Freeman kept his stuff and how did Morgan Freeman not realize someone is tunneling under him?

Why did stock market not instantly close when it was taken over and why did none of the witnesses report to the police that Bane made a transaction?

If you had a flying aircraft capable of moving the bomb why not just jam the signal and fly the thing away. Why bother bringing it to the pedestal? Batman's autopilot was working....

Speaking of the autopilot how did the batfly thing survive a nuclear blast intact enough to get a hold of its autopilot?

What is the point of keeping the police alive under the city if you are going to blow the whole place up anyway?

How did Bane know where the Special forces guys were instantly once they showed up?

How did Bruce Wayne end up on the opposite side of the world after getting knocked out?

How did Bane know Bruce Wayne was the Batman?

So the whole world accepted that the piece of paper Bane was holding during his speech about Dent was the word of Gordon?

Why did Bane's army charge at the police when the police were charging them? They had automatic weapons and all.

Why did Batman tell everyone he was going to go die with the bomb if he would later reveal to them all that he was still alive?

If Bane had a ninja army that could hijack planes midair then why is he outsourcing his burglary work to catwoman?

What is the point of making everyone think the scientist died in a plane crash if you and your ninja army already have him and to reveal to the world you do in like a week.

How were the Swat instantly on the bar after cat woman tricked the guy into using her phone?

Where is the rest of the entire population of Gotham city while this is going on?

Why did Bane let batman keep the leg brace when he put him in prison?

That is just stuff that doesn't make sense and is off the top of my head. Don't get me started on my criticism of the movie's overall direction/plot/writing.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Bane and Al-Ghul (or however the fuck you spell it) went out with whimpers. Disappointing.

Other than that, it was good fun. Bit mindless near the end though. The downfall of so many movies, having all these plot threads have to converge to mindless action sequences in order to be resolved.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

Macbeth wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Yes.

You have to shut your brain off and accept whatever is happening on screen as happening just cause

So how did Bane know where Morgan Freeman kept his stuff and how did Morgan Freeman not realize someone is tunneling under him?

Why did stock market not instantly close when it was taken over and why did none of the witnesses report to the police that Bane made a transaction?

If you had a flying aircraft capable of moving the bomb why not just jam the signal and fly the thing away. Why bother bringing it to the pedestal? Batman's autopilot was working....

Speaking of the autopilot how did the batfly thing survive a nuclear blast intact enough to get a hold of its autopilot?

What is the point of keeping the police alive under the city if you are going to blow the whole place up anyway?

How did Bane know where the Special forces guys were instantly once they showed up?

How did Bruce Wayne end up on the opposite side of the world after getting knocked out?

So the whole world accepted that the piece of paper Bane was holding during his speech about Dent was the word of Gordon?

Why did Bane's army charge at the police when the police were charging them? They had automatic weapons and all.

Why did Batman tell everyone he was going to go die with the bomb if he would later reveal to them all that he was still alive?

If Bane had a ninja army that could hijack planes midair then why is he outsourcing his burglary work to catwoman?

What is the point of making everyone think the scientist died in a plane crash if you and your ninja army already have him and to reveal to the world you do in like a week.

How were the Swat instantly on the bar after cat woman tricked the guy into using her phone?

Where is the rest of the entire population of Gotham city while this is going on?

That is just stuff that doesn't make sense and is off the top of my head. Don't get me started on my criticism of the movie's overall
direction/plot/writing.

Hadn't Bane already captured Morgan Freeman before he started tunneling? If not, fair enough. Although is extremely intelligent and great at piecing obvious things together (like Batman being Bruce Wayne). Also, he might have found out because it was more or less connected to the tunnel network they controlled.

True

If by pedestal you mean the reactor, that would be because it's a near irreplaceable potential source of clean energy.

Batman bailed out earlier and just let the bat fly towards the ocean on autopilot until the bomb went off. There's never any mention that it survived the blast, it wouldn't make sense.

True, although i could have been too much of an effort and risk to kill them all.

True. But once again, he's a better detective than batman. The fact that he knows everything and is always 2 steps ahead is part of his power.

True

As stated above

Why wouldnt they?

True

He never said he would, although he did imply it. He did so because he wanted to be able to disappear and live and actual life. He also never reveals to everyone that he is still alive. Just to alfred, who he knows will keep his secret.

Being able to hijack a place like that doesn't necessarily make them good burglars

True, although i may have wanted to keep that a secret until he had secured the bomb so that it wouldnt be too obvious what he was going to do.

True, a bit too quick of a response imo

True, Gotham felt very empty even though Bane left them with total freedom.

True

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-07-28 03:14:52)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Kampframmer wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Yes.

That is just stuff that doesn't make sense and is off the top of my head. Don't get me started on my criticism of the movie's overall
direction/plot/writing.

Hadn't Bane already captured Morgan Freeman before he started tunneling? If not, fair enough. Although is extremely intelligent and great at piecing obvious things together (like Batman being Bruce Wayne). Also, he might have found out because it was more or less connected to the tunnel network they controlled.

True

If by pedestal you mean the reactor, that would be because it's a near irreplaceable potential source of clean energy.

Batman bailed out earlier and just let the bat fly towards the ocean on autopilot until the bomb went off. There's never any mention that it survived the blast, it wouldn't make sense. it must have survived the explosion since the engineers were examing its autopilot.

True, although i could have been too much of an effort and risk to kill them all. they were bringing down supplies to them. Just let them starve.

True. But once again, he's a better detective than batman. The fact that he knows everything and is always 2 steps ahead is part of his power.

True

As stated above

Why wouldnt they? because they had automatic weapons and could have sat back and just lit them up.

True

He never said he would, although he did imply it. He did so because he wanted to be able to disappear and live and actual life. He also never reveals to everyone that he is still alive. Just to alfred, who he knows will keep his secret. [u]he could have just left/retire without making his friends think he was dead. He fixed the bat signal for Gordon.

Being able to hijack a place like that doesn't necessarily make them good burglars

True, although i may have wanted to keep that a secret until he had secured the bomb so that it wouldnt be too obvious what he was going to do.

True, a bit too quick of a response imo

True, Gotham felt very empty even though Bane left them with total freedom.

True
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Just saw it. Thoroughly enjoyed
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5970|...

Macbeth wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Yes.

That is just stuff that doesn't make sense and is off the top of my head. Don't get me started on my criticism of the movie's overall direction/plot/writing.
answers;

1. Bane knew where Freeman's stuff was because Freeman and Wayne entrusted the company to Miranda. Presumably (but not shown) she got to know about his weapons like she did about his nuke reactor.

2. As far as I know there is no big red "emergency stop" button in a stock market. Besides this everyone was forced to sit on the floor by people with guns.

3. The whole signal-jam-and-fly-the-thing-away only became possible after Wayne got himself out of the pit in the first place. He sort of did that when the opportunity presented itself.

4. How did the batfly survive autopilot? Huh? It didn't. It exploded, Batman survived because of it.

5. Bane shut them off and figured they would die anyway. All of them were still heavily armed so going down and killing them might not have been risk-free. He didn't have extra nukes to throw down there (besides this he didn't know about the resistance network). Bane knew who batman was because he was in the league of shadows. Miranda was in there too. Presumably the members inside the league got/could get inside info on eachother's identities.

Really it just seems like you randomly typed in 1000 questions. Watch batman begins, watch DKR again and pretty much all of it will make sense.
inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Shocking wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Yes.

answers;

1. Bane knew where Freeman's stuff was because Freeman and Wayne entrusted the company to Miranda. Presumably (but not shown) she got to know about his weapons like she did about his nuke reactor.
Freeman mentioned that all of Wayne's defense companies were hidden off of the main company
2. As far as I know there is no big red "emergency stop" button in a stock market. Besides this everyone was forced to sit on the floor by people with guns. hahaha. I guess security cameras don't exist on wall street. And yes there is a big red button to stop it. It was done a few months ago.

3. The whole signal-jam-and-fly-the-thing-away only became possible after Wayne got himself out of the pit in the first place. He sort of did that when the opportunity presented itself. I have no idea what you just said

4. How did the batfly survive autopilot? Huh? It didn't. It exploded, Batman survived because of it. -_- for the third time- at the end you see the engineers pulling the computer/autopilot out of the batfly. How did the batfly survive a nuclear explosion? All of its parts should have been melted and spread across the bay. Nothing would be recovered let alone in a condition to analyse the computers programming

5. Bane shut them off and figured they would die anyway. All of them were still heavily armed so going down and killing them might not have been risk-free. He didn't have extra nukes to throw down there (besides this he didn't know about the resistance network). Bane knew who batman was because he was in the league of shadows. Miranda was in there too. Presumably the members inside the league got/could get inside info on eachother's identities. Bane and company were lowering in supplies to them. They showed it and mentioned it too

Really it just seems like you randomly typed in 1000 questions. Watch batman begins, watch DKR again and pretty much all of it will make sense.
You would get a medal in the Olympics for all the mental gymnastics you pulled.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard