Skexis
+6|6447

Bubbalo wrote:

Personal philosophy is not religion.
If that's what gets you to sleep at night.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6661|Colorado
spare me the bible quotes, I had 4 years of that shit.

If you wish to discuss reality please continue...

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2006-09-23 02:45:53)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6661|Colorado
Thats what I thought, shut down by reason & logic. Close the thread please.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6539|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
IRONCHEF the old testament advocates killing, rape, child abuse and load more.  That's "Jesus" had to come out with the new testament.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6589|132 and Bush

Has anyone considered how many lives religion has saved? Or how many people lives religion has had a positive impact on? Like drug abuse or helping to save millions of lives over thousands of years. Feeding the poor,sheltering the homeless, and giving people hope. Faith can sustain people through horrible times and provide motivation to do the right thing. Sure there are evil deeds that come out of some people's warped, demented minds but there is no comparison to the good, at least not in modern times.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
IRONCHEF
+385|6479|Northern California

Kmarion wrote:

Has anyone considered how many lives religion has saved? Or how many people lives religion has had a positive impact on? Like drug abuse or helping to save millions of lives over thousands of years. Feeding the poor,sheltering the homeless, and giving people hope. Faith can sustain people through horrible times and provide motivation to do the right thing. Sure there are evil deeds that come out of some people's warped, demented minds but there is no comparison to the good, at least not in modern times.
Doesn't matter how many lives "organized religion" has saved.  People are anal and backwards and can't see good in anything because it's so easy to distort, lie, and say shit that will make them look less like an idiot.

They fail to see that while this corrupt government donates their .0007% benefit to a earthquake ravaged country, the religious bodies of the same country come together and supply more than the minimal sacrifice to improve things.  Even while we're so-called enemies with Iran, we still donated hundreds of milllions worth of time and money...and yes, that's mostly because of religious groups.  Catholics and Mormons are the greatest donors of said charity (both vicariously and directly giving via the red cross and other groups who mobilze quickly) in this country..yet people only point out the negative in them.  that's what our country is full of.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6661|Colorado

Kmarion wrote:

Faith is no substitute for reason , Producers shouldn't have to feed & shelter people with nothing to offer in return. Hope?! hope for what, that they might mooch off another the next day? Can faith sustain your stomach? What is the right thing, what they tell you or what logic dictates.
Religion trys to rob the mind away from men, it is nothing but evil.
No religion has killed far more people than anything else in the world, the ones that are still alive are walking dead, waiting for the great escape of death.
Skexis
+6|6447

TrollmeaT wrote:

I hope by now you're familiar with the term "extremism."
While you look at yourself in the mirror each day, perhaps you should consider this word and what it is you're saying.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6409|Melbourne, AUS
Blaming religion imho is not hitting the target. i believe it has simply been a medium through which amibtious leaders have manipulated people into achieving a goal en masse. What is the difference between cold-blooded murder and killing for one's religion? Faith and Justification.
As Ironchef, pls explain why religion has given rise to charity/+ve aspects etc... as opposed to human instinctive strength and kindness? Do you believe that without religion all this is impossible? Without God or a transcendent being, humans cannot overcome or give?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6589|132 and Bush

It's alive, it's alive!!!
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I couldn't help but think after watching last night's South Park that perhaps religion is just the tool we use to act out our own human nature to be violent towards one another. Even if there was "no religion" we might be acting the same but using a different topic. Maybe we would be fighting over which breed of dog is the best.. or possibly who makes the best chicken sandwiches..lol
Religion could just be a means to channel ourselves into being the violent species we are.

I cut a clip from last night
Exhibit A:
(Notice God is replaced with Science)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6570|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I couldn't help but think after watching last night's South Park that perhaps religion is just the tool we use to act out our own human nature to be violent towards one another. Even if there was "no religion" we might be acting the same but using a different topic. Maybe we would be fighting over which breed of dog is the best.. or possibly who makes the best chicken sandwiches..lol
Religion could just be a means to channel ourselves into being the violent species we are.
I think you (or Matt and Trey) might be onto something there.

But why believe in a god anyway, "would you believe in a spaghetti monster?" - I loved that comparison.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6711|Eastern PA
Religion as it relates to violence is usually used as a mobilization tool (to rile the great unwashed as it were). There's nothing particular about religion that causes violence and often when groups that use religion as means of mobilization find that it is no longer useful for their ends (almost ALWAYS political) they quickly do away with uncomfortable things like convention and principle.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6570|SE London

Masques wrote:

Religion as it relates to violence is usually used as a mobilization tool (to rile the great unwashed as it were). There's nothing particular about religion that causes violence and often when groups that use religion as means of mobilization find that it is no longer useful for their ends (almost ALWAYS political) they quickly do away with uncomfortable things like convention and principle.
I think that's what this thread is about. Huge organised religions are political entities in their own right, especially in nations where church and state are combined.
It's not religion, but the heads of religious groups, not all of them, but most of them, sometimes.

Religion is all to often used as a tool to instigate violence. This would not be possible without the participation of senior religious officials within corrupt religious organisations.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6394|North Carolina

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

When stupid and submissive people unite under their common religious beliefs, you have the makings of the biggest source of violence and bloodshed the world has ever seen. I find it rediculous that people are willing to kill and die in the name of their religion. We have fanatics blowing themselves up everyday, jackasses claiming that dinosaurs were put on Earth as God's test of man's faith, and those who, despite all scientific proof, claim evolution is not real. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their beliefs, they just don't need a church between them and their god. A church isn't led by your god, it's led by humans, who, when given this power, are no less corrupt than your average crooked politician.

The extent to which organized religion can brainwash such a large majority of the world into defying science, reasoning, and truth is truly shocking....even more so than Hitler's influence over Nazi Germany. I can't help but think I'm on crazy pills when I question how can so many people be so meek. When fanatics fight in the name of their religion, do they even know why? I just see these people as zombies incapable of higher reasoning or imagination. All sides are guilty here. There is no "right" organized religion because organized religion in itself is wrong.

Discuss.
Heck yeah!...  Good post... 
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6661|Colorado

Skexis wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

I hope by now you're familiar with the term "extremism."
While you look at yourself in the mirror each day, perhaps you should consider this word and what it is you're saying.
I'm not an extremist, I just can't stand peoples belief in a spaghetti monster, man needs to think for himself & not let others do it for him.

It doesn't matter that most will never grasp & achieve the full reality of man's proper stature, a few every generation will & it is they that will move the world & give life its meaning. The others are of no concern.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I think you (or Matt and Trey) might be onto something there.

But why believe in a god anyway, "would you believe in a spaghetti monster?" - I loved that comparison.
Oh...my...SCIENCE! *POW!*
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6486

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

Recent events have taught us that Batman is the source of the world's violence. Comic books are the catalyst we deserve, but not the catalyst we need.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6457
Wow, I forgot how terrible DST was back before everyone stopped giving a shit.
jsnipy
+3,276|6511|...

<3 Fancy_Pollux

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard