Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
fuck it, kill everything lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England
Now you're talking. Make everything intramural.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
xstax981
Community Modder
+93|6669
Yes, let's make my costs to go to school higher because of something that only school administration had anything to do with. Fining the football program $30 million is only going to raise my overall tuition costs in the end, whether implicitly or explicitly. Let those who were responsible have their day in court, instead of trying to "get back" at the school by screwing everything to do with it over.

I understand rape is a terrible thing, but punishing the student body by banning them from participating in NCAA games (some of those players who are banking on getting national recognition will be screwed in the end) is not the way to go about correcting it, especially when the students had nothing to do with it.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
Well you didn't get the death penalty so I figure you'll be fine

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/23/so … /?on.cnn=2
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13rin
+977|6472
booo.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I've heard that the scholarship reduction could actually do quite a bit of harm to the program.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
I didnt realize so many people were defenders of boy rape
Tu Stultus Es
Frank Reynolds
+65|4321
get rid of college sports.  you should just have intramurals and that is all.
What are you looking at dicknose
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
my school was division II part of the California Collegiate Athletic Association
Tu Stultus Es
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461
Didn't Dennis Reynolds, famed inventor of the D.E.N.N.I.S. system go to Penn State?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Penn State got owned. Paterno is lucky to be dead, Rot In Peace. Sandusky is currently getting owned in prison. It's sad that athletics was placed so high in the culture that people were willing to cover up such horrible shit.

Schadenfreude boner right now.
Frank Reynolds
+65|4321

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Didn't Dennis Reynolds, famed inventor of the D.E.N.N.I.S. system go to Penn State?
no
What are you looking at dicknose
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire

Frank Reynolds wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

no
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

eleven bravo wrote:

I didnt realize so many people were defenders of boy rape
It's not about that, it's how EVERYBODY at the school is going to be punished for it instead of just the people responsible, and by an entity(NCAA) that is pretending to look morally correct by punishing the school for something not relevant at all to the sport they're regulating; the only real reason they're doing it is because they have to do at least something to pretend/show like they care so they they can minimize the damage to their own image and avoid boycots from stupid people who would otherwise feel like the NCAA doesn't care and can't understand that what happened is irrelevant to the sport and the NCAA and that the people directly responsible for this who had anything to do with NCAA have already been dealt with.

The fine is just going to be deflected into student tuition and the scholarships only hurt potential students, it's all just fucked up

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-07-23 14:27:26)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Really? They're all gonna be punished? Pretty sure they're still gonna get their degrees from a good college. As for scholarships, there are a ton of other schools out there.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
isnt penn state a public school? tuition shouldnt be raised unless pennsylvania has a fucked up public education system.  60 million is about the amount the football team brings in for one year.
Tu Stultus Es
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Not to mention that current players can transfer to other schools just fine. In fact, other schools will probably strip their roster.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It won't bring in a penny for many years because of the sanctions The money will have to come from somewhere, and I doubt the Harrisburg legislature is going to agree to swallow a $60M bill.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

They will still get to play a regular season. Nothing short of suspension will stop them from making money. People will still buy their shit and watch their games.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
good see the NCAA cares more about reggie bush getting limo rides than they do about boy rape.
Tu Stultus Es
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/5/56/Pennstatefootball.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

They will still get to play a regular season. Nothing short of suspension will stop them from making money. People will still buy their shit and watch their games.
Your own infographic said that only about a dozen football programs make money every season. Do you really expect Penn State to remain one of those 12 after all of this? They'll be putting out a lower quality product and have no hope of a bowl game for several years.
-Frederick Bastiat
Brasso
+1,549|6623

the fine is reasonable so long as my inevitable tuition increase doesn't contribute a penny towards paying it. the funds that pay that fine should come from another source.

i understand the postseason ban. coupled with the privilege of being able to transfer out, there goes all our players. but what can you do? sucks for us.

the scholarship removal frankly doesn't really make any sense.

on one hand, i understand the 1998-2011 win removal. it removes the "glory" (or whatever you want to call it) from the record of paterno and others that "covered up." on the other hand, it also strips away the achievements of many former PSU players. that doesn't seem fair to them.

all in all, most of the judgement is fair. the truly sad thing, though, is this: even though i know my school was, is, and will remain a world-renowned university where i can get some of the best education on this planet, our academic reputation is now scarred forever. because of the football program. because of a few guys. something not even remotely connected to my education will influence the rest of my life - in what social groups i will be accepted into, in the bad stereotype my diploma will evoke images of, etc. people will be making shallow jokes at my expense (see above image) for a quick laugh. yes, it's funny, but if people see enough of that shit they become convinced that everyone associated with The Pennsylvania State University is a "horrific child-rapist enabler."

a sad, sad day for alumni, and current and prospective students.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
the scholarship removal is meant to gut the football program.  USC lost 30 scholarships for a few years for the scandal that happened there, the one that didnt involve sodomy.
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
usmarine will throw your resume in the trash, Brasso

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard