Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Please stay away from the stock market Mac.

First off, no one ever puts a significant amount of outstanding shares up for an IPO.  You really think the pre-IPO owners, including Zuck and partners, would give up control of Facebook during an IPO?  There are well over 2+ BILLION fully diluted shares out there, if not 3 Billion after this IPO.

Just checked:
Valuation down to about $89 Billion.  Yeah, so, at $30'ish, that's about 3 Billion shares out there.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

If I was one of the people who were given Facebook stock for working there I would have cashed in as soon as I could. That's most likely what is happening now and what is causing the immediate drop which further benefits those immediately selling.
They put up over 400 million shares up for sale. The group of early employees amount of stock is much smaller.
I was obviously referring to early employees who would cash out. I wouldn't include the founders as early employees..

Do I really have spell out what I meant by that?

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-05-22 17:54:18)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Business Insider wrote:

* Mark Zuckerberg: 24%, $5.3 billion
    * Accel Partners: 10%, $2.2 billion
    * Digital Sky Technologies: 10%, $2.2 billion
    * Dustin Moskovitz: 6%, $1.3 billion
    * Eduardo Saverin: 5%, $1.1 billion
    * Sean Parker: 4%, $880 million
    * Peter Thiel: 3%, $660 million
    * Greylock Partners: ~1.5%, $330 million
    * Meritech Capital Ventures: ~1.5%, $330 million
    * Microsoft: 1.3%, $286 million
    * Li Ka-Shing: 0.75%, $165 million
    * Interpublic Group: <0.5%, $110 million
    * Adam D'Angelo, Matt Cohler, Jeff Rothschild, Chris Hughes and Owen Van Natta: <1%
http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-fac … ers-2010-5
Posted May 2010
43% owned by the founders.

I'm sure all those early employees who got paid in small amounts of stock are really driving down the price.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-05-22 18:02:42)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

Shocking wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Jay wrote:

I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account that they couldn't just walk away if pushed.
thats cause youre old.  go to a university and you'll be extremely hard pressed to find somebody without it.  and those who dont have it or try to give it up always come back within weeks.  for high school + university life its basically a requirement to know about events and to keep in touch socially.  youre a weird outcast if you dont have it
you maybe.

I get along just fine without it. Many more do.
I've got a few friends who aren't on it. A couple recently deleted their accounts.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Macbeth wrote:

Business Insider wrote:

* Mark Zuckerberg: 24%, $5.3 billion
    * Accel Partners: 10%, $2.2 billion
    * Digital Sky Technologies: 10%, $2.2 billion
    * Dustin Moskovitz: 6%, $1.3 billion
    * Eduardo Saverin: 5%, $1.1 billion
    * Sean Parker: 4%, $880 million
    * Peter Thiel: 3%, $660 million
    * Greylock Partners: ~1.5%, $330 million
    * Meritech Capital Ventures: ~1.5%, $330 million
    * Microsoft: 1.3%, $286 million
    * Li Ka-Shing: 0.75%, $165 million
    * Interpublic Group: <0.5%, $110 million
    * Adam D'Angelo, Matt Cohler, Jeff Rothschild, Chris Hughes and Owen Van Natta: <1%
http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-fac … ers-2010-5
Posted May 2010
43% owned by the founders.

I'm sure all those early employees who got paid in small amounts of stock are really driving down the price.
Mac, what percent of 3 Billion shares is 400 million?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

>_<

My point is: Small employees, not the large stock holding founders, selling off their stock isn't enough to cut off $7 in two days of trading.

FWIW: http://whoownsfacebook.com/
Look up the percents of people under employees. Not a huge percentage.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Well, I never said just the employees.  More like the secondary pre-IPO private market, and the 63+ million or so shares set aside for shorting.

If I had pre-IPO shares, I would have sold half my shares and kept the other half.  Selling off half would have most likely made up any loss and then some of not selling the other half if things tank.  And if the IPO was successful, I'd still be sitting pretty anyways.  Win win, really.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Facebook’s initial public offering is the subject of two congressional inquiries and mounting lawsuits as the social network enters its fifth day of public trading. The shares regained some ground Wednesday, rising $1, or 3.2 percent, to close at $32. They were up another 50 cents, or 1.6 percent, to $32.50 in early premarket trading Thursday. But they are still more than 14 percent below their $38 per share IPO price last week.

The stock’s rocky inaugural trading day last Friday was followed by a two-day decline. The launch was held up by a half-hour delay, caused by glitches on the Nasdaq Stock Market. It was marred further this week as investors began accusing the banks that arranged the IPO of sharing important information about Facebook’s business prospects with some clients and not others.

Several shareholders who bought stock in the IPO have filed lawsuits against Facebook, its executives and Morgan Stanley, the IPO’s lead underwriter. At question is whether analysts at the big underwriter investment banks cut their second-quarter and full-year forecasts for Facebook just before the IPO, and told only a handful of clients about it.

One lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in New York, claims Facebook’s IPO documents contained untrue statements and omitted important facts, such as a “severe reduction in revenue growth” that Facebook was experiencing at the time of the offering. The suit’s three plaintiffs, who bought Facebook stock on its first day of trading May 18, claim they were damaged in the process.

Morgan Stanley declined to comment. Facebook said the lawsuit is without merit.

Another lawsuit, filed in San Mateo County Superior Court in California, claims Facebook and underwriters misled investors in Facebook’s IPO documents. Both lawsuits seek class action status on behalf of investors who bought Facebook stock and lost money on Friday. “No one gets it perfect, as far as saying what the financial results are,” said Anthony Michael Sabino, professor at St. John’s University’s Peter J. Tobin College of Business. The bottom line, he added, is whether Facebook or the underwriter had material information about Facebook’s finances that was not disclosed publicly. “At this moment, it’s still too early to say,” Sabino said. “We don’t know enough, but this could turn out to be an issue.”
/giggles
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Filing a lawsuit? For being stupid enough to buy into facebook?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Yes, in part. All the greedy idiots who thought Facebook's P/E is even realistic. 

But in this case, making insider trading too obvious.  Stupid moves like upping the value of the IPO about $5 more just days before the IPO date, when they already had insider knowledge of the devaluation.  $63 Billion in shorts by the underwriters.  In other words, the very financial institutions financing this IPO, given 63 billion dollars worth of shorts so they can make a profit if the stock declines.  All the insider chatter from pre-IPO holders "bragging" about sellling their stocks at IPO opening.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
I really don't know much about stocks but even I thought buying into Facebook was a dumb idea
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4495|at your six
Failsauce
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

i spend a little time on Facebook. if i were to spend a little money there, it would be fail.

they keep advertising for me to click on some Ubisoft link - it reminds me how little they know.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Probably the biggest bubble in history. I hope it burns.

One bad PR move and the site loses half its value. Except for the extreme homebodies, I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account that they couldn't just walk away if pushed. It's AOL pt 2.
I think the IPO is the start of the eventual implosion. Once FB Inc. has investors they have to pay off or show consistent growth to they will begin to slide off into corporate hell .
Look at these two cucks. Facebook is at $274. On the other hand Uber is still unprofitable.

I deleted facebook from my phone weeks ago and removed it from favorites. I need to manually type it in to get to it. I peaked at it today and was upset I missed putting early likes on a wedding, family illness, and birth. Otherwise meh. I logged back off. Interestingly, Facebook had like 10 friend suggestion notifications for women in my area who probably have themselves as "single" in Facebook's system. I didn't go through them. Lust is a sin!

So how are you doing on facebook?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
haven’t used the website since ca. 2013-4. have no interest.

they own whatsapp so i’m not free of the company in toto. i occasionally use instagram, though i follow about 200 accounts to do with music and have managed to not turn my insta feed into yet another facebook-style feed full of useless content from half-acquaintances from college or home or whatever.

the company as a corporate entity seems shady as fuck. their business practices are consistently anti-competitive. they threaten, buy out, or clone any challenging or innovative tech from small startups. seems like facebook has become indispensable to certain parts of the US state that see it as a form of projected ‘soft power’. i tend to view them the same way people talk about giant chinese tech companies.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I think Facebook is shady but who isn't? I think they get a disproportionate share of negative press because FB is the thing most dumb people and boomers interact with most on the internet. A scary company in terms of reach and capability on the other hand is Google. Their services are indispensable for a lot of organizations and businesses. I am on an Android phone all day, on Chrome on my PC, my school uses Google to manage it's email and account system, etc.

At the same time Google services are fantastic and usually free. And yadda yadda privacy but in America police can shoot you for no good reason so Google knowing where I am at all the time is a meh.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I use it for keeping in touch with people, and I'm in a couple of groups where news is shared.

I subscribe to a few threads for other subjects.

Apart from that its amazing how many phishing posts there are that I guess facebook does nothing about

"Which of these 12 animals corresponds to your birth month!" "Enter the last three digits of your mobile number to reveal your spirit vegatable!"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard