Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Why not Ivy Bridge?

Need a Z77 board.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Anyone understand all the CPU limitations for making PCI-E 3.0 work? If so, can someone explain it to me? I don't get it. Do I need an Ivybridge CPU to make it work or can I somehow make it work on my current Sandybridge one?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
GPUs are barely saturating PCI-E 2.0, so really there's not a lot of point in it right now.

Kinda like USB 3, Sata 6GB/s, IVP 6. We'll need it eventually, which is why the technology is being made.

Last edited by Finray (2012-06-16 19:04:25)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

Finray wrote:

GPUs are barely saturating PCI-E 2.0, so really there's not a lot of point in it right now.

Kinda like USB 3, Sata 6GB/s, IVP 6. We'll need it eventually, which is why the technology is being made.
ipv
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
mikkel
+383|6571
wat. Not a lot of point in IPv6 right now?
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA

m3thod wrote:

gonna do a referesh:

asus P8Z68 Pro mobo
i5 2500k
8 gb corsair dominator GT
corsair 850ax

already have

evga 560ti
corsair 120GB SSD
Corsair h100 cpu cooler

thoughts appriciated...
This is basically what I have and I can run BF3 on High @ 45-60 FPS, almost everything else maxed out.  Although you don't need an 850W PSU, look for a good quality 600-700W.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
Depends if you want to leave your options open for SLI/Crossfire etc. If you are considering SLI/Crossfire then a good 850w PSU like the AX-850 would be great (I've got one and am very happy with it). If you only plan on a single card setup then a good quality 650w would be good.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Depends if you want to leave your options open for SLI/Crossfire etc. If you are considering SLI/Crossfire then a good 850w PSU like the AX-850 would be great (I've got one and am very happy with it). If you only plan on a single card setup then a good quality 650w would be good.
I've got a CX600 and it powers both my 460s absolutely fine.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Finray wrote:

That's not what I asked.

The device I'm using (an SSD) is saturating PCI-E 2.0, so I want it to go faster.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Bertster7 wrote:

Finray wrote:

That's not what I asked.

The device I'm using (an SSD) is saturating PCI-E 2.0, so I want it to go faster.
You didn't ask anything to do with an SSD, so don't be a tool.

When answering a question concerning PCI-E, one normally assumes a graphics card, because PCI-E SSDs aren't as commonplace.

Last edited by Camm (2012-06-17 04:23:47)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya

Camm wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I've got a CX600 and it powers both my 460s absolutely fine.
Which is not to say that all video cards will have the same power consumption and people have the same CPU/ overclock/ number of drives etc.

I certainly wouldn't use a CX600 to run my 2xHD6970's, 4 HDDs, 1 SSD, 2 Optical, 6 sticks of RAM, overclocked i7 etc etc.

600w might be fine for your system but if someone is planning a high-end system with multiple video cards I wouldn't recommend a 600-650w PSU. It may be fine, but it may not. That said, it's not like you need to go out and get some super uber 1200w PSU. For most single video card systems a good quality 550w would be fine, but it's nice to have a bit of headroom.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Camm wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Finray wrote:

That's not what I asked.

You didn't ask anything to do with an SSD, so don't be a tool.

When answering a question concerning PCI-E, one normally assumes a graphics card, because PCI-E SSDs aren't as commonplace.
You could say that dismissing questions out of hand based on assumption is being a tool...

Has anyone got any useful input on PCI-E 3.0 CPU limitations?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

https://i46.tinypic.com/2naibft.jpg

FUCK YEAH. I love Virgin Media. Been consistently getting over 100mbps since they fixed the DDoS attacks they were getting. Bang tidy.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
So I've started having an issue the past few days:

I leave my PC on overnight, with music playing, cos it's just how I sleep. When I wake up in the morning, though, it's "crashed" in a sense. The PC is back to the log-in screen, but when I log in, my browser loads up. This may sound normal, but that's not in my startup options or anything. This leads me to think it's not any normal kind of crash.

Any ideas before I spend some time sorting this?
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

FFLink wrote:

I leave my PC on overnight, with music playing, cos it's just how I sleep. When I wake up in the morning, though, it's "crashed" in a sense. The PC is back to the log-in screen, but when I log in, my browser loads up. This may sound normal, but that's not in my startup options or anything. This leads me to think it's not any normal kind of crash.

Ghost coming into your room while you're asleep, changing the music to Justin Bieber.

On a serious note:
Have you checked your power saving settings? Is shutting down set somewhere?
What media player are you using? Does that have some sleep timer on?
Do you get short power outs or fluctuations, which reset your computer?

No idea why your browser would start on boot. Does it (try to) load something?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
My 6 month old Corsair AX-850 PSU died Now I've got to RMA it which is going to take weeks.

Do I buy an interim PSU that I can use as a backup later? Or do I spend my uni holidays with my laptop.

FWP...
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England

globefish23 wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Ghost coming into your room while you're asleep, changing the music to Justin Bieber.

On a serious note:
Have you checked your power saving settings? Is shutting down set somewhere?
What media player are you using? Does that have some sleep timer on?
Do you get short power outs or fluctuations, which reset your computer?

No idea why your browser would start on boot. Does it (try to) load something?
Good points, shall follow them up. Thanks

I misspelt your karma! DON'T HATE ME!!!

Last edited by FFLink (2012-06-21 02:32:11)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
on dat psp ting
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
on dat psp ting
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
wasn't it seriously fucked up?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

FatherTed wrote:

wasn't it seriously fucked up?
A guy two minutes round the corner was selling a completely mint psp with pro evo 6, hard case, soft case, charger and earphone adaptor for £40.

<3 Gumtree.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359

Camm wrote:

<3 Gumtree.
what is this, a craigslist for the uk
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
craigslist uk is for the uk
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359
https://0.asset.soup.io/asset/1526/6224_7f2c.gif
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard