heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
I was hoping some of you could help me out with the optimal settings for my current rig.

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
AMD X3 720 at 3 Ghz
4 GB ram
Gigabyte HD 6850
1280 x 1024 resolution
Drivers up to date

I'm running mostly High settings with 30-50 fps, but more lately the frames drop pretty heavily below 30 fps during play. My goal would be to stay smoothly above 30 fps even during intense battles. I have also turned off the one AA setting that heavily impacts AMD cards, can't remember which one it is though (MSAA maybe).

Rather than dropping every setting to medium, which I would definitely rather not do, I was hoping for some information on which particular settings would net me the most fps gain by dropping them to medium.

Any thoughts, musings, or clever anecdotes would be much appreciated. Especially from people with a similar setup.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

You may need more RAM. I have more RAM, but a worse card (I think) and a worse processor (I think) and was able to run everything on high at a higher resolution. Could even do Ultra on single player and co-op (not on multiplayer because things dipped around 20~25 with explosions and tanks on fire).

Try everything on high, no HBAO or SSAO or whatever, and no AA. Post AA can be put on high. I've read that, IIRC, you either put full AA and no post AA, or no AA and high post AA. AA takes up too much processing power for little benefit, just turn it off.

E: haha oops, totally missed the Vista thing, as pointed out below. That there be your problem.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2012-06-13 12:19:22)

alexb
<3
+590|5910|Kentucky, USA

heggs wrote:

I was hoping some of you could help me out with the optimal settings for my current rig.

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
AMD X3 720 at 3 Ghz
4 GB ram
Gigabyte HD 6850
1280 x 1024 resolution
Drivers up to date

I'm running mostly High settings with 30-50 fps, but more lately the frames drop pretty heavily below 30 fps during play. My goal would be to stay smoothly above 30 fps even during intense battles. I have also turned off the one AA setting that heavily impacts AMD cards, can't remember which one it is though (MSAA maybe).

Rather than dropping every setting to medium, which I would definitely rather not do, I was hoping for some information on which particular settings would net me the most fps gain by dropping them to medium.

Any thoughts, musings, or clever anecdotes would be much appreciated. Especially from people with a similar setup.
You're running Vista 32bit... time to upgrade to 7 64bit.
Does your BIOS allow you to unlock the fourth core? It might be "ACC" in your BIOS. Also, 4GB of RAM should be enough, provided that you're not using more than 2GB of it on idle. Use the other form of AA (can't remember the name of it, its the lower of the two AA options), and turn off SSAO/HBAO.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA
The Battlefield 3 Tweak Guide should help you - it's written by the same guy who runs TweakGuides.com, but since it's on Nvidia's site they're shorter and more to the point.  The conclusion page offers the best tips for graphics performance.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard