Y-D-Donut?
Want glazed or chocolate?
+2|6612|Puerto Rico
Why do you think humanity created gods, demons and all thats stuff? Its a totally general topic, involving from Zeus to God, from Allah to Satan. If you believe in one, don't answer since u think they (whoever u believe in) exists.     Maintain respect for those that believe and again, IF YOU BELIEVE IN SOMETHING, DON'T REPLY, SINCE U DO BELIEVE THEY EXIST.

Last edited by Y-D-Donut? (2006-05-24 01:19:25)

THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6740|AUS, Canberra
well i dont belive in god as such, i think people think to much about it.

people need somthing to fall back on, and thats why i think gods where created.
its a cop out that doesnt get questioned.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
To explain that which they couldn't, and comfort themselves.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Leaders needed to be able to explain things. The easiest way of doing this was to make up some superbeing who made everything. It's a way of exercising power over the lower classes.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
BattlefieldMedic
+25|6570|Sydney City, THE city.
to blame shit on somebody else.
and on the topic of shit, id like to recall a great saying by a certain fridge magnet which said:
TAOISM
Shit happens
BUDDHISM
If shit happens, it really isnt shit
HINDUISM
This shit has happened before
ISLAM
IF shit happens, it is the will of Allah
CATHOLICISM
Shit happens because you deserve it
PROTESTANTISM
Let shit happen to somebody else
JUDAISM
Why does shit always happen to us?

Anyway, that was just some random fridge magnet on our fridge at home, it isnt supposed to be insulting to anybody, if it is, then, im sorry.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6664|San Francisco
All in all, they were created for comfort in a time when people understood very little.  When they had no means to explain things they didn't understand, from vast topics such as death and self importance/relevance, to little topics such as why the sky is blue, they needed to turn to something to help them carry on with their lives.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
I strongly believe it's because we Humans are afraid of the things we don't understand. "God" is (was) simply filling the gaps of things we didn't understand.

Now, that we understand all the things, why do people still believe in God?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Humans try to understand what is going on in the world.  Early civilizations had no prior observations to go back on, like we do now.  Early civilizations saw the sun, and came to the conclusion some type of being must be carrying the sun into the sky every day.  Based on thousands of years of observation, we can now say that is ridiculous.  I believe slowly, belief in a God will become outdated.  However, I think we are still far far away from that idea as a whole.  On a side note, does anyone watch those "Cosmos" shows on Discovery Science with Carl Sagan?  I saw one last night, and the show breaks down our universe from the time it was created to now.  Very interesting, to say the least.  The logic he uses to break down the universe is amazing, to say the least.  I recommend everyone watch that show, regardless of your beliefs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

PBAsydney wrote:

I strongly believe it's because we Humans are afraid of the things we don't understand. "God" is (was) simply filling the gaps of things we didn't understand.

Now, that we understand all the things, why do people still believe in God?
With all due respect, we do not understand all things.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
I said "All the things", referring to the things that religion covered.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

PBAsydney wrote:

I said "All the things", referring to the things that religion covered.
Religion talks about creation. Regardless of how ridiculous I believe some of religion's ideas about it are, we do not understand "All the things" about the universe.

If we did, we'd be pushing stars and planets around like tinker toys as easily as cooking waffles in toasters.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-24 11:35:07)

-Solv3r-
Heia den som vinner!
+115|6527|Oslo, Norway
Because they were too lazy(dumb?) to find out, f.ex how the Earth was created!
Sydney
2λчиэλ

-Solv3r- wrote:

It was made inside a giant chamber on Magrathea, jeez, and by mice! How hard is it to understand!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

PBAsydney wrote:

-Solv3r- wrote:

It was made inside a giant chamber on Magrathea, jeez, and by mice! How hard is it to understand!
Kind of a flattering thought for a techie like me that I am a part of a giant computer designed to decipher the meaning of everything.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Religion talks about creation. Regardless of how ridiculous I believe some of religion's ideas about it are, we do not understand "All the things" about the universe.

If we did, we'd be pushing stars and planets around like tinker toys as easily as cooking waffles in toasters.
Big bang.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6566|England

PBAsydney wrote:

-Solv3r- wrote:

Don't forget those Norwegian fjords by Slartibartfast.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Bubbalo wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Big bang.
Thank you, Einstein. Now that you mentioned the Big Bang, perhaps you could fill us in on the rest of the technical details, including the undiscovered.
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6644|Canada Eh?
Go watch the quick overview video of Greg Graffin's doctoral thesis. It makes sense to me!

Holy Link-A-Riffic Batman!
BVC
+325|6665
I believe there is no single reason.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6561|Scarborough Yorkshire England
I believe that humanity in the early era Created god as the explanation to things they could not understand, thunder, lightening etc. (as stated by many before) Because they did not have the technology or basic understanding of the world.
Gods and religion were then used by governments/Monarchys to help keep the population under control, as a fear tactic (If you do not pay your taxes god will stike you down). This was used by the romans And possibly by earlier civilizations (I'm not a historian).  Religion then cottoned on to this power of belief and tried to suppress scientific advancement, Galileo was laughed at, da vinci etc. all ridiculled by the church first.
Slowly as the centuries progressed technology advanced and understanding of the world increased. 
Now that we can explain things that happen, scientificly, the belief in religion has decreased less and less people go to church in modern times ( I Can Only say this in relation to christianity) because less and less people believe in god due to scientific explinations.
Anyway Flame away or agree thats my 2 cents
mikkel
+383|6571
They needed scapegoats.
spacepelle
Kniven Gaffeln Skeden
+37|6635|Sweden
i believe it is to keep people in control, there is no "big brother" as religion...
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6518|USA bitches!

Bubbalo wrote:

To explain that which they couldn't, and comfort themselves.
Word. We created Gods to fool ourselves into believing there was something more than our pathetic existence. It really wasn't humans, the people, that created the ideal of Gods, I believe it was the kings, or whatever they were, who did it as a way to control their population and keep peace between them.

And, no, I don't really believe in God. Maybe something mystical, but nothing like God, a deity that watches over our every move and such.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
I don't feel it was created by leaders.  Rather I feel it was created by people and exploited by leaders.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
I posted this in the 50-page thread a few days ago:

I wrote:

I think I some kinda theory about how religion came about. This is merely an anecdotal example - others may be thought of along similar lines.

Tens of thousands of years ago, when tribes were all-important, and stone was the pick of the day, pigs were no-no animals.

The problem is that pigs, in their stomachs and other places, contain all kind of nasty stuff like roundworms. Stuff that can make you very sick. To get rid of these bugs and whatnot, yo have to cook it reaaal slow and reaaaaly long. However, they didn't/couldn't do that. Therefore, eating pig was a surefire way to get ill.

Now the tribal wisdom guy knows this. He doesn't know WHY, of course - that wouldn't be found out until thousands upon thousands of years later. So when he goes to 'spread his knowledge' to the kids:

Wise man: 'Children, don't eat any pig meat.'

Kids: 'Why?'

Wise man: 'It will make you very sick.'

Kids: 'Why will it make us sick?'

Wise man: 'Because God will be angry if you eat pigs and will punish you for eating such a dirty animal.'

Kids: 'Who's God?'

And so a religion is born.

Last edited by Spark (2006-05-27 00:54:26)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard