nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

Jaekus wrote:

Also eating almonds (like, right now).

My main staples of food at the moment are:

Breakfast: oats, whey, milk (tastes like chocolate)

Shakes: one scoop of whey, 300ml of milk. Post workout I add to this 40g of dextrose.

Stir fry (dinner/lunch): 100g brown rice (weighed uncooked, then boiled) stir fried with a small amount of olive oil, brocooli, capsicum and 200g of chicken breast then with salt reduced soy sauce for flavour.

Rice patties: 100g brown rice (weighed uncooked, then boiled) mixed in a bowl with one sachet of salt reduced tomato paste, one 175g tin of tuna (no drain tin), chopped broccoli, 3-4 eggs and some cracked pepper to taste. Heat a fry pan to hot with some olive oil then spoon in a heaped tablespoon of the mixture to make a pattie. Repeat as necessary. Cook both side for approx 3 minutes a side. Let cool for a couple minutes once done and add a little salt to taste on top. Once cool enough to pick up, eat.
A little light on the salad?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Haven't been eating salad, I get through not even half a bag before it needs to be thrown out.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

Past week has been great.

Very little alcohol consumption (had one glass of red on saturday night and two vodka, lime & soda's yesterday arvo).
Stuck to my diet perfectly and had one deliberate cheat meal last night of seafood and chips.

Started taking some creatine the other day and today I'm not sure if it's that or just increased strength from hard workouts and good diet but I managed to push out 9.5 reps at 50kg on the bench press, last time I managed 5.5 reps. All other exercises have also increased in weight and/or reps.

Did two days of HIIT and two days on static cardio at a moderate pace, to build up my fitness and conditioning. I can feel it improving already.

Also watched a few BB docos:

I Want to Look Like That Guy
Blood & Guts
Raw Iron - The Making of Pumping Iron
Bigger, Faster, Stronger

Currently part way through Stand Tall, the story of Lou Ferrigno entering the 2000 Masters Olympia.

Feeling super positive and motivated about it all
I didn´t really like bigger, fatser stronger. it didn+t tell me anything new and it wasn´t made in an entertaining enough way to make up for that.
pumping iron however is brilliant if you´re into it of course. I wouldnt recommend it to someone with 0 interest in the subject.

How is you bench only on 50kg? Mine was on 65kg 3x10 before i got tendonitis quite quickly (didnt help the tendonitis lol) and I have had 0 pecs my whole life, we're talking nipples on a ribcage here.

As far as creatine goes, i've recently strated taking it and even though it pretty much prohibits me from drinking, makes me drink water till i feel like a balloon and (because of that) makes me piss 10 times before lunch, i can still say: Worth it.

btw, I'm going on vacation for 4 weeks. So i wont be lifting, but i wont be taking supps either. Can i just stop taking creatine the day i leave and start when i get back? I always just take 1 scoop (5g) every day.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
My upper body has always been pretty weak. My lower body is a fair bit stronger. Before this I was benching 55kg at 5x5 but I stopped for six weeks. The benchmark here is to get to a 60kg BP with a minimum eight perfect form reps, then use that as a warm up.

Raw Iron is pretty good, it's on youtube in its complete version including an interview with Arnie at the end answering all the questions from Pumping Iron, his answers are quite candid (yes, he did inhale the joint at the end of Pumping Iron, yes he did take steroids).

Pretty sure you can just stop and start creatine without any side affects that I know about, if you haven't had any previous adverse reactions to it.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-05-21 18:17:16)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

Jaekus wrote:

Haven't been eating salad, I get through not even half a bag before it needs to be thrown out.
You buy premixed salads?
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
It's just a couple different varieties of lettuce leaves with baby spinach leaves in a bag.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6312|Atlanta, Georgia
When I was in high school I got up to 90kg/200lbs. Then I left for basic training AIT and i started back up in the past few months and im only up to 74kg/165lbs. What the fuck.

Last edited by NeXuS (2012-05-21 18:49:34)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Watched all 1:29 of this today. I am never consuming anything with sucrose/fructose in it again.

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

Jaekus wrote:

It's just a couple different varieties of lettuce leaves with baby spinach leaves in a bag.
Buy a head of lettuce and make the salad yourself? They really are an important part of your diet.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Yeah I know but I have enough trouble eating the food I normally eat without adding more to the mix. I do eat quite a lot of broccoli, lol.
rdx-fx
+955|6561

nukchebi0 wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Buy a head of lettuce and make the salad yourself? They really are an important part of your diet.
The StayFresh chemical they add to the premix salad is nasty.
rdx-fx
+955|6561
Where is this current fad of "cardio is bad, m'kay" coming from?
Is there some science behind it, or is it just that bulky 250 pound meatbags find the mere thought of running horribly painful?

I understand that ultramarathon running can put you into ketosis (muscle burning).
But anything less than 1.5 hours of cardio a day (about 11 miles at a decent jogging pace), and you should still be in "fat burning" mode.

From my understanding, a good jog or swim after a workout is a good thing. 
Up the heartrate and you up the bloodflow, flush out the muscles and organs, increase oxygen and nutrient flow, etc.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
I think it's just a lot of stuff that is posted online. There's a lot of talk about cortisol being produced which aids in catabolism, but I think that's more of a concern if you're quite muscular and have been training for a couple years at least. Although in a video I saw last week, Dorian Yates himself said he would run for an hour twice a day leading up to Mr Olympia.

I've been doing a mixture of different cardio types. For example, tonight I did 16 minutes of steady state in which I pushed myself quite hard the whole time. Had to stop for 30 seconds in the middle to rest but the aim here is to always improve from the last session.

Last week I did a more traditional 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio that gets difficult in the final 5-10 mins, coupled with a couple days of HIIT style cardio.

Noticing gradual improvements and it's only been a couple weeks so far.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-05-22 06:09:47)

rdx-fx
+955|6561
I'm never going to be a Mr. Olympia, so I will carry on with my theory of "bulky 250 pound meatbags find the mere thought of running horribly painful".

Personally, I rather enjoy the balancing act of finding that exact running pace on the edge of your physical limit.
Ten seconds per 1/4 mile faster, and you're sucking wind, out of breath, and roadkill.
Right at that limit, and you're running at a comfortable cadence, two paces breathing in, two paces breathing out, for 5+ miles.

Still haven't figured out how to listen to music while running, though.
The beat of the music plays havoc with balancing breathing and pace.
But, no big loss. 
Have always worked on design ideas while running, rather than listen to music anyways.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-05-22 06:51:58)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Yeah I'm nowhere near that fit by any stretch but I do plan on getting there.

A mate showed me this that he and some of his mates are entering in August 2013. I figure it's a good goal for me to aspire towards too in the same time frame - Tough Mudder

Also watching this series of short videos based on the lecture I posted above. A much more viewer friendly version and one I feel everyone should watch - http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on-obesity/
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Man, this chocolate whey powder I bought last week tastes better than most actual chocolate I've eaten, is Aussie owned & made from grass fed cow's milk and is cheaper and with more protein than Optimum Nutrition. Total win!!

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/
rdx-fx
+955|6561

Jaekus wrote:

A mate showed me this that he and some of his mates are entering in August 2013. I figure it's a good goal for me to aspire towards too in the same time frame - Tough Mudder
One of the things I miss about the Army is the annual 'engineer challenge' courses.
One week long, in the field 24/7.
Land navigation challenge hikes to designated events, do the events for points
(or, if you miss your 5-10mile land nav calculations, 0 points for missing the time window to make the event)
"react to chemical attack, react to ambush" surprise events during the land nav legs,
then ending with a combined marksmanship test at the end (Pistol, Rifle, Machine Gun, and Grenade Launcher)

Jaekus wrote:

Man, this chocolate whey powder I bought last week tastes better than most actual chocolate I've eaten, is Aussie owned & made from grass fed cow's milk and is cheaper and with more protein than Optimum Nutrition. Total win!!

i had a whey protein chocolate bar oh my my was it good like 20 g of protein and it tasted like twix

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-05-22 09:43:36)

justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand

rdx-fx wrote:

Same, I always used to think it was the wire that put me off, so purchased some wireless headphones, then realized it was simply that I needed to hear myself breathing and to hear my shoes impacting the ground, especially if on a treadmill.

Last edited by justice (2012-05-22 10:48:03)

I know fucking karate
rdx-fx
+955|6561

rdx-fx wrote:

justice wrote:

Same, I always used to think it was the wire that put me off, so purchased some wireless headphones, then realized it was simply that I needed to hear myself breathing and to hear my shoes impacting the ground, especially if on a treadmill.
Exactly.

Have to hear my feet hitting the ground, hear my breathing. 
Steady, repetitive, nearly hypnotic metronome pattern.
Kind of "defocus" the mind, find my pace & breathing, and just keep going.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

i had a whey protein chocolate bar oh my my was it good like 20 g of protein and it tasted like twix
the ones i make at home taste like snickers
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

rdx-fx wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

justice wrote:

Exactly.

Have to hear my feet hitting the ground, hear my breathing. 
Steady, repetitive, nearly hypnotic metronome pattern.
Kind of "defocus" the mind, find my pace & breathing, and just keep going.
I'd recommend trying to work out the BPM (beats per minute) that your steady jogging pace is and then choosing music with the same or very similar BPM.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Four weeks into my PT sessions. Strength gains are up on everything, overall fitness has improved, diet is bang on the set target of 3,000 cals a day with protein averaging around 200 - 210 grams a day. Funnily enough I have gained barely any fat at all despite eating that much. Arms look to me a little bigger and overall I feel great all the time. Cut almost all alcohol from my diet which I'm quite enjoying. About to go to a party (mate just got back from deployment in Afghanistan) and will drive there, have 1-2 drinks and then sip water till I decide to come home.

Looking forward to see where I am in another four weeks time. Just got to stick to it like I have been *touches wood*
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
What lifting plan are you currently on?
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
It varies a bit every time but the crux of it is full body workout:

Monday:

bench press + chest isolation exercise (dumbbell or cables flyes) [chest/tris]
lat pulldowns + seated rows [lats]
squats or deadlifts [legs and/or lower back]
sometimes shoulder presses [delts]

Thursday:

incline bench press + chest isolation exercise (dumbbell or cables flyes)
lat pulldowns + seated rows
squats or deadlifts
clean and press (also did a superset with side dumbbell raises into clean and press on my previous workout)

That's the general gist of it, varies a bit from there though.
Training the chest to positive failure with a couple assisted reps and a forced negative. Basically pushing myself to the point I can not lift the bar any more and then trying to push it a bit further, and then perhaps chucking in a set or two of an isolation exercise to really stimulate the muscles. So far it is definitely working.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-05-26 07:04:54)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard