Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

I see people all across the internet blame baby boomers for most of this country's current problems. There are a good few members here who do this too whenever BBs are brought up. I have this feeling most of this hate is just blaming your parents/people before you. But I've seen a lot of smart, reputable, knowledgeable, and honest people ride this bandwagon so it makes me wonder..

So can someone sell me on how baby boomers suck compared to all previous and subsequent generations of Americans?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5220|foggy bottom
they invented smartphones.  theyre not so bad
Tu Stultus Es
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

Burnzz is a baby boomer.

You hate him don't you?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

Honest answer though, the baby boomers are about to start raping the age care facilities, hospitals et all because the demand will sky rocket as they start getting sick due to old age.

The demand is going to put a huge strain on healthcare systems almost world wide.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

yeah, people get old and need care.  It's not exclusive to the baby boomer generation.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

yeah, people get old and need care.  It's not exclusive to the baby boomer generation.
maybe you missed the part where I emphasised the demand to the system and strain an aging population is going to create

derp
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6675|US
I won't critique the generation, but the "leadership" that came out of it consistently kicked financial problems down the road.  The sad thing is that we let them do it.
rdx-fx
+955|6552
They got sex, drugs, and rock n roll.
Left us with AIDS, crack, and auto tune.
Chou
+737|6751

rdx-fx wrote:

auto tune.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6735|Noizyland

Generally the consensus is that Baby Boomers spent the wealth of their parents, are fully utilising their own wealth for themselves and, with the problems caused by a disproportionately ageing population, will most likely eat through the wealth of their children as well. Then there's the fact that the current economic climate was caused predominantly by Baby Boomers and if you want to talk environmentalism most of those problems too. Here in NZ they own a huge amount of property and have created a market where property is unreachable for most people who aren't already in the market. This means people have to resign themselves to a lifetime of renting which has also created a huge demand for rental housing which has in turn led to rent price rises.

Then, if you want to make it personal, there's the comments that younger generations are self-entitled and lazy and constant moves to punish younger people for not repaying student loans promptly - this from a generation that was gifted its tertiary education for free by the Government. All this seems to succeed in doing here is push intelligent, educated and motivated New Zealanders overseas. Their disproportionate level of property ownership has also meant that people are living with their parents later and later - hence the 'lazy' criticisms. They have created lower tax rates for themselves as adults than when they were children meaning they have removed opportunities they enjoyed, such as free tertiary education, from younger generations, instead burdening them with debt. As they head to retirement age their main concern is whether Government coffers will have enough to support their health and living needs so they are now trying to subtly raise taxes again.

In New Zealand there is a $12b total student debt. If just the Baby Boomers were to liquidate only 1.5% of their housing assets alone half this amount would be covered. Maybe it is self-entitled to point this out and expect others to pay for my education but I think it's a fair point to make about a generation that had their tertiary education paid for. Just 1.5% of housing assets - that doesn't even take into account the disproportionate   amount of non-housing assets the Boomers own.

Following the Christchurch Earthquake last year Boomers immediately liquidated some of their assets, not to help out but to invest in the construction industry. Meanwhile they fought tooth-and-nail against the introduction of an earthquake levy and have fought to put off a capital gains tax for years - money that would actually be used to recover in Christchurch rather than profiteering from the disaster. So how is this cost being covered? Well from Government coffers for one but also largely by private insurers, (run by Baby Boomers,) who have since passed these costs onto consumers - and who are the consumers who shoulder most of this burden? Predominantly Generations X and Y.

I should acknowledge that this opinion is very biased and there are certain mitigating circumstances to excuse the Boomers that I've completely neglected but since you did ask where the hate came from... I mean there's quite a lot of reasons to be a bit shirty. But to another degree nothing can be gained by just pointing it out and bitching about it which just further paints younger generations as entitled brats.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6635|Canberra, AUS
rdx is probably my favourite poster in this place nowadays, just quietly
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
Baby-boomers essentially created the concepts of conspicuous consumption, entitlement to profligate use of natural resources and the live today pay tomorrow or never mentality.

They've spent their parents resources, their own resources, their children's resources and the nation's resources on insane lifestyles while chewing through half the world's oil and much of the minerals.
That and inventing weird financial vehicles which enabled them to enrich themselves assets bought with printed money but are now taking down the whole system.

The entitlement mentality continues well into old age, having typically not saved for their, often early, retirement they're expecting Gen X and Y to fund their continued lavish lifestyle, unlimited medical treatment, frequent foreign holidays, huge inefficient mansions which they don't see why they should sell to fund themselves or free up the property market etc etc.
All funded by final salary index linked pensions - which are no longer available to us plebs.

They've live through the golden (oil) age, have invested nothing for their children or their future, and still expect more.

We're all double screwed because the financial crises have emptied, and then some, the notional retirement funds of most nations.
Tax, medical care and aged care are now a huge ponzi scheme, the boomers are getting their payouts now, X and Y will get less than nothing from their tax contribution.

My father is typical I guess, a cushy govt job, early retirement at 50, index linked final salary pension scheme which pays more than the average wage, and still he gripes.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-05-09 01:07:03)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

The baby boomers had free university education available in Aus. Took it, and then voted to remove it for the next generation.

Bastards.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And now they've got the 'family home' exempt from means testing for aged care - sweet.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6677

AussieReaper wrote:

The baby boomers had free university education available in Aus. Took it, and then voted to remove it for the next generation.

Bastards.
and now some fucking cunts voted in mandatory student amenities fees for student unions. fucking cunts.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5925|London, England

land of the free...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6693|St. Andrews / Oslo

AussieReaper wrote:

Honest answer though, the baby boomers are about to start raping the age care facilities, hospitals et all because the demand will sky rocket as they start getting sick due to old age.

The demand is going to put a huge strain on healthcare systems almost world wide.
Surely that's the fault of poor planning on the government's part, rather than the baby-boomers.. They can't help getting old..!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6461|so randum
they could
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They didn't fund their own retirement themselves, they didn't pay the taxes they should have for a government funded pension and aged care scheme - why whould my taxes go to fund their lack of financial planning?

They voted themselves low taxes and spent the savings. Why should I now have to pay their pension and fund my own?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-05-09 02:28:30)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6735|Noizyland

Jenspm wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Surely that's the fault of poor planning on the government's part, rather than the baby-boomers.. They can't help getting old..!
And what generation makes up the Government?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They all think they're investment geniuses, its not really so hard making 5-10% in an economy which expands 5-10% every year. Somewhat harder when its flat, shrinking or being outsourced to Asia - by baby boomers dammit.....

On the plus side many of them who thought they had a retirement nest egg in their crappy businesses are finding a signboard, a couple of worn out vans and a rented building with a few obsolete machines are worth exactly nothing.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5220|foggy bottom
no that i think about it, yeah they had free university education too.  the CSU/UC system was started with the intent of being free.  its far from free now
Tu Stultus Es
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

eleven bravo wrote:

no that i think about it, yeah they had free university education too.  the CSU/UC system was started with the intent of being free.  its far from free now
... wow glad at least someone mentioned this.

/s
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

So can someone sell me on how baby boomers suck compared to all previous and subsequent generations of Americans?
Normal for new and old generations to loathe one another.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Normal for new and old generations to loathe one another.
Really? I think its a new thing for it to be this bad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard