Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
They did, but far from single handed.
The Americans did most of the production, the Russians did most of the fighting.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
let's be honest, though: if it wasn't for the two world wars that effectively ended europe's age of empire and put most of its major states in a state of economic turmoil and broken-down rubble, america probably wouldn't have risen to be the number one power of the 20th century. you guys got super rich from our squabbles. not exactly as if you were super noble and heroic about it. you just saw your chance to break our big powers down and get us all in ya pockets.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
America became a world power after defeating spain before the turn of the century.
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
That and the dumb Japs attacked them.

But for that they would have sat on the sidelines eating popcorn, watching Europe destroy itself.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Dilbert_X wrote:

But for that they would have sat on the sidelines eating popcorn, watching Europe destroy itself.
damned if you do, damned if you dont.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
my hs US history textbook praised oliver north as a hero for pleading the fifth.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
never in all my years in public education did i ever read in a history text praising north
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

eleven bravo wrote:

never in all my years in public education did i ever read in a history text praising north
So how old were you when you graduated high school?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

eleven bravo wrote:

yeah i found it very very fucking weird.

my APUSH textbook was pretty good.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
i was in school until 2000 when i took my CHSPE and finished a year earlier
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

America saved your asses.
https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvgd2dtUzw1qbee5x.gif
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
specops10-4
+108|6743|In the hills

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sometimes I wish we did remain an isolationist country.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-19 11:36:12)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Uzique wrote:

let's be honest, though: if it wasn't for the two world wars that effectively ended europe's age of empire and put most of its major states in a state of economic turmoil and broken-down rubble, america probably wouldn't have risen to be the number one power of the 20th century. you guys got super rich from our squabbles. not exactly as if you were super noble and heroic about it. you just saw your chance to break our big powers down and get us all in ya pockets.
So all the Americans who signed up out of noble intentions got rich from European squabbles? I know that's not what you meant, but that's one way it could be interpreted.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
i mean on the level of grand political and economic strategy, it was a masterstroke for america. less so to do with the ordinary hearts and minds, etc...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Roc18
`
+655|5790|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

War Man wrote:

Uzique wrote:

War Man wrote:

My thoughts don't always go by what I'm saying.
it's called 'being able to write and communicate effectively'. it's a skill most people learn in school.
Welcome to a gaming forum, where mostly people just don't give a fuck about grammar. Even give less fucks about grammar than I do.
>where mostly people
>Even give less fucks

lmao dat autism

Last edited by Roc18 (2012-04-19 14:32:34)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock
polish fought the fiercest over the english channel.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Uzique wrote:

disagree tbh. american hegemony was all but inevitable once intercontinental travel became easy.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
once intercontinental travel became easy? what does that even mean? dude europe and its age of empire dominated the world because it had mastered international trade and commerce by 1800. that's what market capitalism was all about. american hegemony was inevitable once intercontinental travel became easy? what does that even mean? the european powers were shipping goods and people all over the world a long time before 1900. that's a pretty silly comment.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
the only thing i can think that you are referring to there is the jet-age, with passenger planes making it easier for people to travel individually. in which case i must point out that jet travel and mass airplane technology was facilitated and only made available as a cast off from... the two world wars. i'm really having a hard time seeing any thought in your last post.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Uzique wrote:

the only thing i can think that you are referring to there is the jet-age, with passenger planes making it easier for people to travel individually. in which case i must point out that jet travel and mass airplane technology was facilitated and only made available as a cast off from... the two world wars. i'm really having a hard time seeing any thought in your last post.
whilst true that's also not really the point, as i see jet travel as something of an inevitability. it would have happened later but it would have happened.

really, the big natural advantage the european powers had in the 20th century was their colonies and the global trade links that provided them. america just had too many huge natural plusses not to become a dominant power eventually.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
i'm not denying it would have become a 'dominant' power. my point was that america became the top superpower during the 20th century. why was this? 2 world wars in europe and the dissolution of their empires. it's as simple as that, really. i don't think a boeing 747 would give america the edge over a europe still engaged in imperial rule and market monopoly.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida
The simple fact of the matter is that what we call World War Two was in fact a complex network of many small wars being fought within roughly the same time period.  Of course it's also inextricably linked to the Great Depression, as well as World War One.  It's naive to think that it was anything other than imperial, or that the considerations of human rights or civilians were even close to being a driving force on any side. 

The Pacific war was the most obviously imperial theater.  Japan was trying to break out of it's isolated position to become a world power, and all the interest America had in the region were former colonies/spheres of influence won from the Spanish at the turn of the century.  The Nazi's formed from both a reaction to Western interventionism as well as a reaction against the Communists. 

Fun fact, did you know the Soviet Union may have been a fourth axis power?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German%E2% … Axis_talks

It's pointless to argue because at the end of the day, all the major powers involved would have gladly aligned themselves differently had they believed it was in their best interest.  Realism 101.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-04-19 20:35:01)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida

Spark wrote:

whilst true that's also not really the point, as i see jet travel as something of an inevitability. it would have happened later but it would have happened.

really, the big natural advantage the european powers had in the 20th century was their colonies and the global trade links that provided them. america just had too many huge natural plusses not to become a dominant power eventually.
It was our geographic isolation that was our greatest advantage.  Still is.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California

Adams_BJ wrote:

polish fought the fiercest over the english channel.
no gibraltar
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock
I meant out of everyone else flying there, not more fierce than any other time

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard