Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
no it means a battle lasts for that time, between 3 servers. there is a persistent scoreboard for that time - individual players can distinguish themselves, on behalf of their server, for a 3 week rolling battle. that sounds good to me. after that the battle ends, servers are awarded ELO-type points according to how they performed. then the next 3 weeks the servers are rematched according to the new league-table rankings. and so on and so forth.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5077|...
Sounds alright.
inane little opines
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|5787|England. Stoke

Shocking wrote:

y I'm waiting for them to showcase more game zones. So far we've only seen foresty areas and snow. The concept art for some end-game armor looks pretty good;



I think I read somewhere that WvWvW lasts for about 2-3 weeks, does that mean they rotate servers every 2-3 weeks or will there be pauses inbetween?
I watched some vids on the yogscast on youtube where they played the WvWvW, and from what they said the servers rotate every few weeks to balance, so high performing guilds get put together, as do the ones who did less well.
Have a look at the vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … ature=plcp
14 & 15 look at WvWvW
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549

Shocking wrote:

Sounds alright.
sounds better than any pvp system WoW ever had, in a wider macro-scale. WoW was great for getting r14 and showing off personally and in your tiny guild. but it was incredibly hard to get a reputation beyond your own small server-faction. in gw2 there is the potential for guilds to be known continent-wise because of their performance and server reputation. it's truly massive, at least in concept.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
one thing i will say about the graphics is this:

- i hope they include a toggle option for mouse-over/click highlight. i hate highlighted player/character models when you click on them. looks dumb.

oh and also the graphics do look a little bit as if everything is covered in a mist, or a layer of vaseline. but i guess that's a looks:performance thing.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mikkel
Member
+383|5679

Uzique wrote:

- i hope they include a toggle option for mouse-over/click highlight. i hate highlighted player/character models when you click on them. looks dumb.
This bothered me as well. They've made such a pretty world, and then they add something to it that makes what you're actually focusing on look like a bad photoshop cut and paste. It didn't work in Rift, and it doesn't work in the videos I've seen.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5077|...
yes it sounds good. I'm reluctant to jump on any bandwagon though because I've bought into 'new mmo' hype a few too many times. I'll see how it turns out.

@coke thx for the vid, will watch it in a sec.
inane little opines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
i'm not preordering, either
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|3920|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

yes it sounds good. I'm reluctant to jump on any bandwagon though because I've bought into 'new mmo' hype a few too many times. I'll see how it turns out.
I second this.

The game look very good (I'm not just talking about the graphics). Although i'm still very curious to see how their enormous accessibility turns out. They try and remove the whole level-barrier and grind theme that WoW had got going on and I'm not sure if it will turn out to be as good as it's made out to be, but it sounds quite interesting from what I've read about it.
At times (maybe that was just the info-post uzi posted) they do seem to really force their lack of barriers and accessibility on you and it might conflict with certain 'competitive' RPG-elements. but hey, the game has yet to release, so I'm not drawing any conclusions yet. plus, the PvP seems to make well up for this, since that is looking to be really really good.

Haven't been this excited about an MMO since WoW, I'll give them that.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,924|5850|USA

I'm not yet sold on a pre-order, but I'll probably put one down for the collector's edition when a release date's set, if the price is reasonable (i.e., not Skyrim's $150). The bonus items from the first game made things less of a headache at low levels, if not as challenging, but I think they were worth it.

I saw the collector's edition of Tera Online advertised next to GW 2 on Amazon. Pretty box, but the non-game content doesn't hold a candle. No nothing else about that game.

Shocking wrote:

Again, the male's pretty much wearing a suit of magic power armor there. Female's given a skimpy pile of leather straps and tin scraps. Is she not as worried about getting her head/limbs chopped off as the male? At least Skyrim got it right. Full armor is full armor, regardless.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
lol you clearly havent checked prices. gw2 is mega expensive. the ce preorder is available now. it's like $200+
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
funny they've changed the site and removed the ce price. odd. it was super expensive.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,924|5850|USA

Amazon doesn't even list a price. If CE turns out unreasonable, I'd be happy with digital deluxe. The rest of the CE is merely fluff.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
when the gw2 site went up i can assure you it was priced at like $250. it was like £150 or something. it was loads. they're clearly reconsidering their pricing now.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,924|5850|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Amazon doesn't even list a price. If CE turns out unreasonable, I'd be happy with digital deluxe. The rest of the CE is merely fluff.
Correction: they don't even list the CE. Maybe Arenanet is thinking about revising content?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
i think arenanet are trying to only distribute the CE themselves. in a smaller quantity. for a really high price. at least that was the impression i was given.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,924|5850|USA

Uzique wrote:

when the gw2 site went up i can assure you it was priced at like $250. it was like £150 or something. it was loads. they're clearly reconsidering their pricing now.
Christ, I hope so. That would make Skyrim's look reasonable.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,237|5820|London

i wouldn't get the junk they throw in with those collectors editions for free let alone two or three times the price of the full game

'collectible metal box', plastic figurine and photo frame of a ingame screenshot... all yours for £100! lol
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
the gw2 one was a lot more than £100 as well. i have no idea who gets this shit and actually wants it. some people buy the CE for all these major MMO's... what happens? the MMO itself is dead in 3 months and then these douchenozzles are stuck with an expensive tshirt and a book full of throwaway draft-doodles from the art department. they're laughing all the way to the bank.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|5546

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm not yet sold on a pre-order, but I'll probably put one down for the collector's edition when a release date's set, if the price is reasonable (i.e., not Skyrim's $150). The bonus items from the first game made things less of a headache at low levels, if not as challenging, but I think they were worth it.

I saw the collector's edition of Tera Online advertised next to GW 2 on Amazon. Pretty box, but the non-game content doesn't hold a candle. No nothing else about that game.

Shocking wrote:

Again, the male's pretty much wearing a suit of magic power armor there. Female's given a skimpy pile of leather straps and tin scraps. Is she not as worried about getting her head/limbs chopped off as the male? At least Skyrim got it right. Full armor is full armor, regardless.
I'm more impressed by the fact that the dude is this burly hulk yet still manages to be shorter than the lady.
mikkel
Member
+383|5679
They first announced CE at $120, and when it went on sale, it was up for $150. Been that way ever since. $150 is a little too ridiculous.

Last edited by mikkel (2012-04-16 22:15:15)

unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,924|5850|USA

Uzique wrote:

the gw2 one was a lot more than £100 as well. i have no idea who gets this shit and actually wants it. some people buy the CE for all these major MMO's... what happens? the MMO itself is dead in 3 months and then these douchenozzles are stuck with an expensive tshirt and a book full of throwaway draft-doodles from the art department. they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Except for the people who bought the WoW CE's and resold them for a good $300 or more.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5077|...
There's no item progression in the game once you reach max level, only cosmetic
inane little opines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5549
uuum... ?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,924|5850|USA

Shocking wrote:

There's no item progression in the game once you reach max level, only cosmetic
How's that a surprise? At any rate, getting max armor in GW1 was only the start. You had to upgrade it with really expensive +stats, and choose which ones you wanted buffed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard