NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6312|Atlanta, Georgia
Parents are old. Don't need anything jaw dropping. Some really nice sound. Couple of decent inputs. <$200.

I'd do it myself but I dont know much about SS. Go!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
Probably look for something that costs more and is on a good sale tbh. Unless someone knows some good secret. Doesn't Microcenter have good sale prices down there?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
I see a lot of "best" sound set-up theads with budgets that are far too low for anything to be good. You need to invest some decent cash if you want an even-decent sound experience. It's not a mid-range graphics card.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
Like he said, its for his parents, not audiophiles. Despite what you may think uzi, most people can't tell the difference between some logitechs and higher end stuff. Or if they can, don't care to spend that much on what they dont see as much of a change. You constantly reccomend stuff like that would be the audio equivilent of a top end gaming pc for someone who is only facebook browsing. Yeah those in the know want it, 99% don't give two shits. I figured you would probably hop right in here with a good idea of what he wanted... guess not.

Also. He didn't say "best" sound set up, he said "best within X budget".
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i'm not recommending a B&O hi-fi. i'm just saying $200 is a bad budget for a surround sound set. of any quality. i'm sorry but that's the truth. call me an 'audiophile' if you want. it'll be his parents' paying the repair bill or replacing the dud speakers in 3 months' time. think about it, 5.1 or 7.1 surround for $200. how much is that per speaker? i don't think 'good' or 'best' even comes into considerations, here. try again smartarse whiteroom.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Is this for a computer or a home entertainment system? If the latter, what kind of AV receiver?
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
What was smart ass about my comment. You were being your tired elitist self in an area where you could actually he helpful since all the other audiophiles have left. And I wasn't using that term as an insult for you (don't see why you would take it as such, since you are some self-described audio guru. No need to get butt hurt over it.) I was actually using it to describe what his parents most likely are not.

Anyway. Not going to argue about it like I was you, jay, or dilbert.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
how am i being elitist by saying a $200 surround sound isn't worth buying? it's good honest advice. but fine get yourself down to target and buy a $200 surround sound. enjoy replacing it in 3 months time cause 2 of the speakers have stopped working and the centre module no longer works. i'm just an elitist. pmsl.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.
Whiterooom, uzi is right I'm afraid. Just admit it!
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Oh ffs.

I'm going to guess home entertainment system. Polk has been kind to me, and this set is just above the buyer's requested range.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
ex-display is a good way to save cash on a surround sound fwiw
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
It would be hooked up to the TV for movies and used for music. Doesn't have to be amazing. They just want something to hold them over. I'm gonna get them hooked up with an actually Receiver/Amp 5.1 set up later on down the road. This is just something to hold them over with.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

TV speakers should be good enough to hold them over. I wouldn't bother with 5+.1+ until you get the receiver for it. Meanwhile, http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophi … amp;sr=8-1
jaymz9350
+54|6547

Uzique wrote:

how am i being elitist by saying a $200 surround sound isn't worth buying? it's good honest advice. but fine get yourself down to target and buy a $200 surround sound. enjoy replacing it in 3 months time cause 2 of the speakers have stopped working and the centre module no longer works. i'm just an elitist. pmsl.
Cheap doesn't always mean crap. I have 2 sub $200 surround systems that have lasted over 5 years.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Uzique wrote:

i'm not recommending a B&O hi-fi. i'm just saying $200 is a bad budget for a surround sound set. of any quality. i'm sorry but that's the truth. call me an 'audiophile' if you want. it'll be his parents' paying the repair bill or replacing the dud speakers in 3 months' time. think about it, 5.1 or 7.1 surround for $200. how much is that per speaker? i don't think 'good' or 'best' even comes into considerations, here. try again smartarse whiteroom.
Not always true. My computer still has Logitech Z5400s that I got for £100 about 7 or 8 years ago. Not great compared against something nicer, but for the money I've found it to be an excellent solution.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've had these Altec Lansing 5.1's for I think...over a decade now. Not the biggest or most powerful, but loud and clear enough...and still working. Still haven't hooked them up to my new rig because I like my headphones better.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 117397-L0B

With Promo code EMCNFJH22 that is $160 bucks.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but that's 5.1 ready, seems decent and is - most important of all - affordable.

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-04-12 15:30:05)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

TV speakers should be good enough to hold them over. I wouldn't bother with 5+.1+ until you get the receiver for it. Meanwhile, http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophi … amp;sr=8-1
I've got these for my PC, they're brilliant: http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premi … -1-catcorr

Is inside the budget and is IMO the best stereo setup you can get for the price the OP is aksing (of course it's not 5.1)

I'm with Uzi, they need to spend a bit more to get a decent 5.1 setup. Better idea is to put the $200 towards a laybuy on something that's a minimum $300+ (go with $400+ though IMO) and in the long run they'll be happier.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-04-12 16:16:34)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Bertster7 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Not always true. My computer still has Logitech Z5400s that I got for £100 about 7 or 8 years ago. Not great compared against something nicer, but for the money I've found it to be an excellent solution.
i had the logitech z5500's as gaming speakers before i ever invested in speakers for listening to music. if you think they're "an excellent solution" then you're crazy. an excellent solution for filling your room with muddy, overblown bass to simulate action movie explosions and in-game frags, sure. i'd say they were below-average overall. didn't help that the control console broke after about 3-4 years of heavy use. not what you would expect from £220'ish worth of speakers. oh and £200 for those logitech speakers is a lot more than $200.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Uzique wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i had the logitech z5500's as gaming speakers before i ever invested in speakers for listening to music. if you think they're "an excellent solution" then you're crazy. an excellent solution for filling your room with muddy, overblown bass to simulate action movie explosions and in-game frags, sure. i'd say they were below-average overall. didn't help that the control console broke after about 3-4 years of heavy use. not what you would expect from £220'ish worth of speakers. oh and £200 for those logitech speakers is a lot more than $200.
Z5400s not 5500s (which were more expensive, ugly, more overpowered and broke more often) - and I did mention I paid £100 for them, which is less than $200 and they lasted me many years. Certainly not the sort of thing I'd consider ideal - but they're ok. Fair bit of distortion and overblown bass - but the bass issues can be remedied with a bit of tweaking, still a bit much THD though, but not bad. In fact far better than the average person will have as a main audio system, so for my bedroom I find them really quite good.

It's not long since I put my last surround sound system together for my living room and that came to around £700. I doubt you could do it properly for less than £450. For that budget good surround sound is not possible - but tolerable surround sound is, which is all most people look for. Anything is better than shitty TV speakers after all.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2012-04-13 13:33:51)

Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5969|The Mitten
Well, I got my surround set up for about $60... helps that some of the most expensive stuff was free
EE (hats
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Bertster7 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Z5400s not 5500s (which were more expensive, ugly, more overpowered and broke more often) - and I did mention I paid £100 for them, which is less than $200 and they lasted me many years. Certainly not the sort of thing I'd consider ideal - but they're ok. Fair bit of distortion and overblown bass - but the bass issues can be remedied with a bit of tweaking, still a bit much THD though, but not bad. In fact far better than the average person will have as a main audio system, so for my bedroom I find them really quite good.

It's not long since I put my last surround sound system together for my living room and that came to around £700. I doubt you could do it properly for less than £450. For that budget good surround sound is not possible - but tolerable surround sound is, which is all most people look for. Anything is better than shitty TV speakers after all.
I love my Z5500's
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
they are ass. you have to listen to something better to really understand the difference.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Uzique wrote:

they are ass. you have to listen to something better to really understand the difference.
Nickelback sounds great on them.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
lol.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard