Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6622
Hi all, I'm stumped for an answer on what to do for this problem so im hoping someone here can help. Since I aquired an Android smartphone I've decided to setup WiFi at my house and detatched garage. I've ran a wire underground through a conduit out to my shop. When reconnect to either router or switch from one to the other router my hard wired router gets knocked offline. To fix i must unplug the power cord and plug back in.

My network layout diagram as fallows.

https://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5067/networkw.jpg

The two wireless routers i dont have an option to disable DHCP, i just have them set for static IP and I've setup Static routing using a seperate entry for each router in the dominant one. If you have any questions or need screenshots of the configuration please let me know. Im stumped on this problem. Things worked fine with one extra router but now the problem has came back with two on the network now.

Someone told me i can get just a plain access point? However I cant find one, routers are all i can find. Also switching over to all wireless isnt an option, I like my hard wired network.

Thanks in advance
-Ryan
https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Look into using a wireless bridge. Makes things more simple than lashing a bunch of routers together.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

IP conflict.

If you can't disable DHCP on all but the main router, you'll just have to deal with unplugging/plugging.  I find it odd that you can't disable though.  Some settings call it Client mode.
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6622
The main router is an 8 port switch, non wireless. Each wireless router has its own dedicated line. Im thinking if i cant solve this issue ill either have to do away with a line and setup a bridge or just get some beefy antennas to cover my whole property and do away with a router. thanks for the help so far guys.

Thats odd its having an IP conflict when the wireless routers are setup for static IP.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Drunken_Tankdriver wrote:

The main router is an 8 port switch, non wireless. Each wireless router has its own dedicated line. Im thinking if i cant solve this issue ill either have to do away with a line and setup a bridge or just get some beefy antennas to cover my whole property and do away with a router. thanks for the help so far guys.

Thats odd its having an IP conflict when the wireless routers are setup for static IP.
The wireless routers have there own static IP yes, but anything wireless that wirelessly connects to them also get IP's.  Those IP's might conflict with IP's on the wired side or the other wireless router.  Hence, IP conflict.
cospengle
+140|6457|Armidale, NSW, Australia
What Ilocano said: Please tell me you don't have multiple routers configured to have the same IP that your ISP gave you... ?

If you cound put the IPs assigned to each router on the diagram you posted about it would help greatly.
signa
~~~~~
+50|6698|Michigan, USA
@Drunken,  do you have each wireless router set to use a different ssid and channel?

also, i had a look at the manual and it says if running in dhcp mode (page 12), it will use ip addresses assigned by your network router.  it sounds to me like you would want dhcp.
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6622
singa, i was wondering if that would do the trick but i went ahead and purchased two refurbished Netgear WG602NAR WAP's. I replaced the WAP54G's with these. Everything is now working perfect. I'll remember that if i decide to use the routers again.

Running the long wire out to the detatched garage has worked great. I got wireless coverage all over the back yard and in my man cave. Plus if i decided to have a LAN party, I can plug the WAP into my Linksys SRW224 24 port rackmount switch and really put a load on the network, lol.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me. If anyone may be interested in buying one of my wireless routers let me know, i'll sell them for 25 bucks a piece. One is missing an antenna but you can buy extras or upgrade to more powerful ones for longer range.

P.S. In the beginning comcast told me my problem was too complicated for their support. Aint that some shit?

Last edited by Drunken_Tankdriver (2012-04-16 16:16:48)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

P.S. In the beginning comcast told me my problem was too complicated for their support. Aint that some shit?
no. because comcast got you to solve your own problem, that's a win for them. when i tried to install 2 separate cable modems to segregate phone and internet, the phone tech said i couldn't do it.

i escalated the call to his supervisor, told her to register both modems, and i was off the phone in three minutes.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

13urnzz wrote:

no. because comcast got you to solve your own problem, that's a win for them. when i tried to install 2 separate cable modems to segregate phone and internet, the phone tech said i couldn't do it.

i escalated the call to his supervisor, told her to register both modems, and i was off the phone in three minutes.
Two registered modems and no upcharge?  If so, awesome.
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6622

Ilocano wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Two registered modems and no upcharge?  If so, awesome.
fascinating. I wonder if you would get double the speed out of a load balancing modem? 2 connections going to 1 thing.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Yes, that can be done.  But normally, you'd have to pay more to get two unique external IP's.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

the signals are segregated, the phone line goes to the arris modem and the internet goes to a motorola surfboard.

you cannot aggregate the bandwidth, it's literally two different signals. i have one unique IP, i have a netgear wireless that hands off NAT addresses, that goes to a netgear switch.

the arris modem supplies dialtone, and has only RJ-11 connections. it's how i got such a fast response from the supervisor, she understood that i wanted to segregate, not aggregate, the cable connections inside the house.

oh, and it was the only way i was going to "bundle" my services - i told her if i was going to get raped in the ass every month at billing time, she at least could give me this simple reach around. the argument was crude but effective.
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6622
hey guys, little update. ive discovered that i still have the same problem, it didnt fix anything. I took signa's advice and got them running on different channels. Also set the waps on static IP's instead of DHCP Client and still havnt fixed it yet. im stumped and its pissing me off, lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard