Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

The A W S M F O X wrote:

What kind of coffee do people drink? instant? machine? perculator?

If you answered instant....lol
Those nespresso machines seem to have taken the country by storm here. Your household isn't complete without one it seems
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
it's funny how there's a snobbism about coffee types and varieties, and kinda pernicious how things like starbucks enjoy a 'cool' hip-savvy status (or did, anyway). caffeine is some serious shit, when you get down to it. yet people use caffeine consumption as some sort of brand or fashion statement. again, if it was a white powder... i wonder if people would be getting smarmy about whether they consume it nasally, orally or intravenously.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5514|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

I'm surprised that the effective dose is roughly the same, but it does not say whether the effects are comparable (and I know them not to be). I do acknowledge that they are both roughly as addictive as one another, and that caffeine is certainly not a benign drug.

Last edited by Pochsy (2012-04-06 08:43:45)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Sugar is also a highly addictive white powder. And it funded the Atlantic slave trade.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
tell us more
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Pochsy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I'm surprised that the effective dose is roughly the same, but it does not say whether the effects are comparable (and I know them not to be). I do acknowledge that they are both roughly as addictive as one another, and that caffeine is certainly not a benign drug.
my point was that they're both psychoactively basically the same thing - a mild stimulant. cocaine is rated as more dangerous because it is neurologically far more addictive w/r/t its dopamine release (afaik). but in terms of the high and the desired 'effect' that people consume it for, there's not a world of difference. cocaine is perhaps more immediate and more intense, but that's typically because it's snorted and goes straight into your bloodstream and hits the warm spot. if you snorted pure caffeine you'd probably feel a very similar effect. it's a very small difference, but a huge difference in terms of social norms and legality.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID

Uzique wrote:

it's funny how there's a snobbism about coffee types and varieties, and kinda pernicious how things like starbucks enjoy a 'cool' hip-savvy status (or did, anyway). caffeine is some serious shit, when you get down to it. yet people use caffeine consumption as some sort of brand or fashion statement. again, if it was a white powder... i wonder if people would be getting smarmy about whether they consume it nasally, orally or intravenously.
Idk if it's more snobby than drinking something thats quality. As for caffeine it's a serious addiction for many people, but the health repercussions are so low it's not a big issue. You can get no-doze most places if you really want caffeine.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
health repercussions are low? really? what about psychological health? caffeine isn't as toxic as cocaine, granted, but psychologically i'd say consuming a stimulant everyday is pretty damn unhealthy. also not to mention heart palpitations and general stress levels. it's by no means a healthy daily dose of fun. and about "consuming quality"... yeah, cocaine users have the same thing too about the quality of their powder. personally i look down on anyone that doesn't buy colombian fish-scale. plebs.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-06 08:49:26)

The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID

Uzique wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

my point was that they're both psychoactively basically the same thing - a mild stimulant. cocaine is rated as more dangerous because it is neurologically far more addictive w/r/t its dopamine release (afaik). but in terms of the high and the desired 'effect' that people consume it for, there's not a world of difference. cocaine is perhaps more immediate and more intense, but that's typically because it's snorted and goes straight into your bloodstream and hits the warm spot. if you snorted pure caffeine you'd probably feel a very similar effect. it's a very small difference, but a huge difference in terms of social norms and legality.
Don't know if yr being funny or retarded. Dunno what shit cunt coke you took but the IS a world of difference between the two.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
bad times cramming at 4am on a redbull binge and getting heart palpitations
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID

Uzique wrote:

health repercussions are low? really? what about psychological health? caffeine isn't as toxic as cocaine, granted, but psychologically i'd say consuming a stimulant everyday is pretty damn unhealthy. also not to mention heart palpitations and general stress levels. it's by no means a healthy daily dose of fun. and about "consuming quality"... yeah, cocaine users have the same thing too about the quality of their powder. personally i look down on anyone that doesn't buy colombian fish-scale. plebs.
You need to be drinking 10+ cups of coffee a day for any real danger. I'm not saying it's a good thing by any means but it's nothing to get excited about. I would go as far to say it's nothing but a storm in a tea cup.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Don't know if yr being funny or retarded. Dunno what shit cunt coke you took but the IS a world of difference between the two.
i'm not talking about toxicity or pharmacology. i'm talking about the behaviorism of it. the routine. consuming coffee every day as part of a daily ritual. becoming reliant on the lift of a mild stimulant high every morning to get motivated. psychologically, in terms of reward-pathways, it's a grey area. and my point was mostly social and ethical. people have no problem admitting they need a coffee or two everyday but if it's any other below-the-counter stimulant, eyebrows are raised. it's just weird at which point a socially-accepted behaviour becomes a taboo.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

You need to be drinking 10+ cups of coffee a day for any real danger. I'm not saying it's a good thing by any means but it's nothing to get excited about. I would go as far to say it's nothing but a storm in a tea cup.
My dad used to drink that kind of amounts daily for roughly 4 years when he was still working. And strong stuff too.
Said it just made him shit 3-4 times a day.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
also i've taken a whole lotta coke in my time and drunk a whole lotta coffee, and no, there isn't really a "world of difference" between the two. there is a world of difference in the stimulant high between caffeine and amphetamine, i'll give you that. but in terms of increased mood, increased sociability, more motivation and energy... and all the sweating shit, heart racing, mind racing etc. caffeine is perhaps just more 'manageable' than a coke high, where you kinda spill over the limits all at once.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID
I'd like to argue that it's when it becomes highly dangerous but considering cigarettes and alcohol outweigh any other substance in that regard, it's hard to put a line in the sand. Just another quirk of society and government I suppose.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5514|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i'm not talking about toxicity or pharmacology. i'm talking about the behaviorism of it. the routine. consuming coffee every day as part of a daily ritual. becoming reliant on the lift of a mild stimulant high every morning to get motivated. psychologically, in terms of reward-pathways, it's a grey area. and my point was mostly social and ethical. people have no problem admitting they need a coffee or two everyday but if it's any other below-the-counter stimulant, eyebrows are raised. it's just weird at which point a socially-accepted behaviour becomes a taboo.
I think coke and other illicit drugs have only become a taboo for the very destructive toxic qualities you mentioned. It has nothing to do with addiction being bad (even though this is what we tell ourselves), and everything to do with how much harm it causes. Like I said, if coke was weaker in effect, I am almost certain it wouldn't be a taboo. Just look at marijuana.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
yep, that's all i'm saying it is. we use mild stimulants everyday for performance and to help us - society is a weird thing. if people take ritalin for an exam it's unethical and worrying behaviour. if people stay up all night drinking 4-5 coffees to revise or do a paper though, it's the done thing. drug laws and social moralities are all over the place.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID

Uzique wrote:

also i've taken a whole lotta coke in my time and drunk a whole lotta coffee, and no, there isn't really a "world of difference" between the two. there is a world of difference in the stimulant high between caffeine and amphetamine, i'll give you that. but in terms of increased mood, increased sociability, more motivation and energy... and all the sweating shit, heart racing, mind racing etc. caffeine is perhaps just more 'manageable' than a coke high, where you kinda spill over the limits all at once.
Like drinking a beer compared to drinking half a bottle of vodka.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Pochsy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

I think coke and other illicit drugs have only become a taboo for the very destructive toxic qualities you mentioned. It has nothing to do with addiction being bad (even though this is what we tell ourselves), and everything to do with how much harm it causes. Like I said, if coke was weaker in effect, I am almost certain it wouldn't be a taboo. Just look at marijuana.
coke is toxic, yeah, it's harmful physically probably more than mentally. but like awsmfox said, nicotine and alcohol are way up there on the slowly-kill-your-body-and-shut-down-your-internal-organs front, and nobody bats an eyelid.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6162|Roma

The A W S M F O X wrote:

All. Depends where I am and how I feel.
Home on my own I'll just have instant. Out and about I'll have proper stuff. And if I'm having one at home with my Dad he'll make me a Machine one.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Like drinking a beer compared to drinking half a bottle of vodka.
maybe i've developed a monster tolerance, then, because that sort of difference is the only difference i'd notice on my first ever few times consuming. the sort of high and mindblowing experience you're always chasing afterwards, like a sucker, never reaching it.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID
Never comes does it. I haven't touched crack or heroin but it's claimed it's the same story with those as well.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID

PrivateVendetta wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

All. Depends where I am and how I feel.
Home on my own I'll just have instant. Out and about I'll have proper stuff. And if I'm having one at home with my Dad he'll make me a Machine one.
I'm not bagging instant, it's great when you just want a quick cup, but it's sad that some people pretty much drink nothing but and think thats where coffee starts and ends.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
it's the same with everything, even alcohol (though to a lesser extent). you have to consume more and more than previously to achieve the same sort of delirium and experience that blew your clogs off and shook your mind up the first time. the worst class of drugs for this in my experience are speed-type drugs, amphets, stims other than coke which are way more affordable and so hence you can blow through 2-3grams if your brain cries for it. they suck. the whole thing with stimulants is the reason i stay away from even coffee now. can just do without it. living for jesus.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-06 09:09:36)

The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5655|SQUID
Everything in moderation and things will be fine.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard