Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

Dilbert_X wrote:

and so if we only fund sciences and maths and masculine, useful, build-shit degrees now... what happens in 20 years time? we have a generation of engineers and scientists, fully funded. okay great. we've had no study of the arts or culture or history or philosophy or anything for 20 years. the academy has ground to a halt. academic discourse has dried up. there is no debate anymore and no new research
So what? Society will evolve just fine without people studying it. Darwins finches didn't need Darwins help. Art and culture will continue just the same, so will intellectualism.
the supply-demand model kicks up and starts giving funding to philosophy majors?
There needs to be a demand side for that to happen.

What I think you fail to appreciate is academic communities are often closed communities, especially so for the humanities side. The world will progress just fine despite not being studied or having theses written about it.
I think, broadly speaking, you fail to miss the point that there are two forms of 'progress' and knowledge: let's just call them 'vertical' and 'lateral'. Maths and sciences, where new ideas spring from old ones and are synthesized based on prior knowledge, kinda scale vertically, based on everything that has come before. humanities research and philosophy, on the other hand, are often lateral: they don't logically progress in a way you can trace on a chart, they sort of evolve out of a protean mass of ideas and discourse - dialogue between disciplines, departments, countries. in that way a more whole picture of 'knowledge' as it stands today is developed. i think you're expecting literal jerks and ruptures and leaps forward in understanding like you get with a science/math 'breakthrough'. there are no breakthroughs in humanities or philosophy. things slowly accrete and gain definition. this is done through the work of many many research papers and, again, dialogue and debate between them. you're looking exclusively for one form of knowledge and advancement whilst entirely discrediting the other. it's like you only think with one half of your brain or something. it's only half of the picture of human understanding. the post made earlier by carnifex (?) made this point rather eloquently.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6693|NJ

Uzique wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

It's a waste of time and money. Get a trade job cert and into the work force. College = a ton of debt for a 50k to 150k job. Most labor jobs/trade jobs end up making that in a shorter period of time without the headaches of a career.

Macbeth you're going to become a History teacher which means that you're going to be working 60+ hours a week and making 50-80k. You could just become a truck driver and make more money without the debt and when you're done with work you don't have to worry.
yeah because a life of labour and repetitive tasks and staring at a freeway is so much more compelling and fulfilling than teaching the youth.

what a fucking terrible post.
Yeah because sacrificing your whole life and all your time to children who aren't going to give a flying F. Then they can point out how google could do your job if they cared enough is totally worth it.

Just saying financally speaking with cost of living + time spent + additional debt = Higher education isn't really a great option in this day and age. Depending on career field there's not a whole lot of stability either.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2012-04-06 07:20:57)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
whilst i can agree that the financials seem a little sketchy for most people doing questionable courses... i do not agree that teaching kids is somehow less fulfilling than being a manual labourer or a truck driver. in fact in a discussion about college education, where clearly people that are college educated are going to discuss, i'm surprised you can even mention driving trucks with a straight face. if you want to be an automaton for the rest of your life, sure. i think what's at stake here is a little more than your potential earnings.

and wait a minute - did you just say google can do the job of a good teacher? it's attitudes like that which populates the world with pseuds like jay. that's an awful world to live in. google should be banned in that case. knowledge is deeper than a wikipedia fact-sheet.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-06 07:26:06)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6693|NJ
I was speaking in the point of the shitty kids now a days.

Seriously with all the technical advancements now a days, we need to fix the financial world we're in. The monetary system that we have and have created is more of a cancer and will halt future advancement.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
I agree with that. The OP really hit that home as well. The Western education system is, of course, propped up by the society and economy that it rests on (though I do believe, for the sake of humanistic ideals, that it should have a privileged and relatively immune status), and that society and economy is in a serious flux. We need a better thought-out model than neoliberal marketization, because it harms education and the system itself is bankrupt (consequently, too, then, we need a better system than supply/demand which neoliberal marketization infers)

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-06 07:45:01)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

It's a waste of time and money. Get a trade job cert and into the work force. College = a ton of debt for a 50k to 150k job. Most labor jobs/trade jobs end up making that in a shorter period of time without the headaches of a career.

Macbeth you're going to become a History teacher which means that you're going to be working 60+ hours a week and making 50-80k. You could just become a truck driver and make more money without the debt and when you're done with work you don't have to worry.
yeah because a life of labour and repetitive tasks and staring at a freeway is so much more compelling and fulfilling than teaching the youth.

what a fucking terrible post.
Yeah because sacrificing your whole life and all your time to children who aren't going to give a flying F. Then they can point out how google could do your job if they cared enough is totally worth it.

Just saying financally speaking with cost of living + time spent + additional debt = Higher education isn't really a great option in this day and age. Depending on career field there's not a whole lot of stability either.
mouth breather
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Too much talk about money in this thread
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Too much talk about money in this thread
C.R.E.A.M.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

and so if we only fund sciences and maths and masculine, useful, build-shit degrees now... what happens in 20 years time? we have a generation of engineers and scientists, fully funded. okay great. we've had no study of the arts or culture or history or philosophy or anything for 20 years. the academy has ground to a halt. academic discourse has dried up. there is no debate anymore and no new research
So what? Society will evolve just fine without people studying it. Darwins finches didn't need Darwins help. Art and culture will continue just the same, so will intellectualism.
the supply-demand model kicks up and starts giving funding to philosophy majors?
There needs to be a demand side for that to happen.

What I think you fail to appreciate is academic communities are often closed communities, especially so for the humanities side. The world will progress just fine despite not being studied or having theses written about it.
I think, broadly speaking, you fail to miss the point that there are two forms of 'progress' and knowledge: let's just call them 'vertical' and 'lateral'. Maths and sciences, where new ideas spring from old ones and are synthesized based on prior knowledge, kinda scale vertically, based on everything that has come before. humanities research and philosophy, on the other hand, are often lateral: they don't logically progress in a way you can trace on a chart, they sort of evolve out of a protean mass of ideas and discourse - dialogue between disciplines, departments, countries. in that way a more whole picture of 'knowledge' as it stands today is developed. i think you're expecting literal jerks and ruptures and leaps forward in understanding like you get with a science/math 'breakthrough'. there are no breakthroughs in humanities or philosophy. things slowly accrete and gain definition. this is done through the work of many many research papers and, again, dialogue and debate between them. you're looking exclusively for one form of knowledge and advancement whilst entirely discrediting the other. it's like you only think with one half of your brain or something. it's only half of the picture of human understanding. the post made earlier by carnifex (?) made this point rather eloquently.
Thats true, but there has to be a limit to govt funding of it.
1,000 people chasing each funded PhD in the humanities? Thats rediculous, and I'm not even slightly convinced that 'progress' in that area comes out of academia particularly.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
of course progress comes that way. the academy constructs high-culture - this is just a commonly accepted fact. as a social and cultural institution, academia is like the high arbiter of taste and 'official' culture (whether or not you agree with it). thus the history of culture, art, philosophy, music etc. often just reflects the history of academia. modernism, for example, one of the biggest focuses of academic thought in the 20th century, came into real vogue in universities in the 1950's. it was about art made at the turn of the century. now what are considered the greatest books of western literature, up to this point? core high-modernist texts. ulysses, the waste land, a la recherche du temps perdu, etc. these are all canonical because academia chooses to single them out, exalt them, study them; to write papers on them and monographs, books, studies. the process of research and study of texts/authors basically subjects them and integrates them into the philosophy and cultural criticism of the day - it's a literal process, through the output of academic material and knowledge transmission (i.e. pedagogy: teaching and learning) of the history of art/culture being constructed. academia's sole business is in the progress of knowledge and history. well, 'official' knowledge anyway, if you will. there will always be counter-culture and underground culture and alternate histories - this is nothing new.

in fact, the avant-gardists and underground kids and whatever will insist that an artform is officially 'dead' or stultified when it becomes the interest of academia - that's when it's 'past it' and out of 'fashion', so to speak. it's commonly accepted that whatever literature or philosophy or history becomes selected for university courses, that it will then be elevated to the official transcripts of history. look at postcolonialist and neocolonialist thought, for example, arguably the most influential intellectual force from the 1970's onwards. it was a bunch of subversive literature and actions being performed by revolutionary intellectuals in post-colonial nations. where are all these rebels now? they have permanent teaching chairs at us ivy league institutions - people from india, people from africa, people from south africa. they're now living cushty lives integrated into the very western societies that they rebelled against and criticized. completely orthodox and in support of 'the establishment'. academia is in the business of generating this official history.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-07 08:05:39)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Jay wrote:

I always enjoyed my English and History courses and was usually the one the teacher called on when he or she wanted the correct answer They were a nice change of pace, and much less of a mindfuck than engineering courses. I actually had two professors tell me that I was wasting my time as an engineer and that I should study the humanities full time instead
Same here.  Here I was, Computer Engineer, teachers pet for these pre-current century history and literature courses.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

All of my upper level history classes had too many things to cover so we couldn't do a 'what is the correct answer' format. Same with my poli sci courses. I haven't a class like that since my 1st year. It has been a "professor lectures and students question" for a while now.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-04-07 10:41:57)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

I always enjoyed my English and History courses and was usually the one the teacher called on when he or she wanted the correct answer They were a nice change of pace, and much less of a mindfuck than engineering courses. I actually had two professors tell me that I was wasting my time as an engineer and that I should study the humanities full time instead
Same here.  Here I was, Computer Engineer, teachers pet for these pre-current century history and literature courses.
again. do it at a top school in a proper humanities dept. and i will care.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
too many will huntings in this thread
Tu Stultus Es
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto
I have to agree with Uzique on this one. I know students at less intensive universities here in the province who score 90s and are 'teacher's pet' who wouldn't manage a C average here. Totally not even comparable.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

eleven bravo wrote:

too many will huntings in this thread
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

of course progress comes that way. the academy constructs high-culture - this is just a commonly accepted fact. as a social and cultural institution, academia is like the high arbiter of taste and 'official' culture (whether or not you agree with it). thus the history of culture, art, philosophy, music etc. often just reflects the history of academia. modernism, for example, one of the biggest focuses of academic thought in the 20th century, came into real vogue in universities in the 1950's. it was about art made at the turn of the century. now what are considered the greatest books of western literature, up to this point? core high-modernist texts. ulysses, the waste land, a la recherche du temps perdu, etc. these are all canonical because academia chooses to single them out, exalt them, study them; to write papers on them and monographs, books, studies. the process of research and study of texts/authors basically subjects them and integrates them into the philosophy and cultural criticism of the day - it's a literal process, through the output of academic material and knowledge transmission (i.e. pedagogy: teaching and learning) of the history of art/culture being constructed. academia's sole business is in the progress of knowledge and history. well, 'official' knowledge anyway, if you will. there will always be counter-culture and underground culture and alternate histories - this is nothing new.
It seems more like a closed and irrelevant world to me.
these are all canonical because academia chooses to single them out
Within academia and the literati, outside, amongst the people who take the big decisions and get things done - not really.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Pochsy wrote:

I have to agree with Uzique on this one. I know students at less intensive universities here in the province who score 90s and are 'teacher's pet' who wouldn't manage a C average here. Totally not even comparable.
90's?  Pfft.  Try perfect scores and even extra credit.  I wasn't even trying.  I just had an interest in the subjects.  My focus was my Engineering classes.  Point is, for someone with a technical background, the humanities subjects were cakewalk.  And just because it wasn't at a "challenging" universities, doesn't mean I couldn't accomplish just as well at the "challenging" university if that was my focus.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
itt people talk about why their chosen passion/profession > yours
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Spark wrote:

itt people talk about why their chosen passion/profession > yours
first world problems
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6729|St. Andrews / Oslo

Ilocano wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

90's?  Pfft.  Try perfect scores and even extra credit.  I wasn't even trying.  I just had an interest in the subjects.  My focus was my Engineering classes.  Point is, for someone with a technical background, the humanities subjects were cakewalk.  And just because it wasn't at a "challenging" universities, doesn't mean I couldn't accomplish just as well at the "challenging" university if that was my focus.
How do you constantly get "perfect scores" in an arts subject? How does your grading system even work? Or do you just mean straight A's?

I got 1:1s through maths and economics at introductory uni level, coming from an arts background. lol sciences r caekwalk.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6321|New Haven, CT
I just compare ease based on work expended to grade received. The humanities are invariably easier by this measure.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I did one term of a life sciences type Masters course and averaged 90% - meh.

In my experience science courses involved getting to the right answer using a provable method, humanities courses writing the answer the assessor wanted to see - and that depended very much on the assessor. It seemed like a pointless exercise to me.
BVC
+325|6693
In answer to the OP, I would say that what to do to improve your college system depends on what your long term goals are.

If your goals are to improve access and help people out of poverty, sort that Pell Grant shit out, get it in line with costs.  20 years from now you'll see more wealth, and less crime.  Rich people can afford to send their kids to private college.

Concerning whether uni/college is necesary, unless there are specific legal requirements (eg. medicine or law), or unless you want to work in a snobby region/field, it isn't.

It is suitable for some people, others may find polytech/community college more suitable even for the same subjects, due to the difference in teaching methods.  Hell, tertiary education isn't necessary.  The world needs a mixture of all professions to work, if everyone was a professor/electrician/labourer, nothing would get done.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Pubic wrote:

In answer to the OP, I would say that what to do to improve your college system depends on what your long term goals are.

If your goals are to improve access and help people out of poverty, sort that Pell Grant shit out, get it in line with costs.  20 years from now you'll see more wealth, and less crime.  Rich people can afford to send their kids to private college.

Concerning whether uni/college is necesary, unless there are specific legal requirements (eg. medicine or law), or unless you want to work in a snobby region/field, it isn't.

It is suitable for some people, others may find polytech/community college more suitable even for the same subjects, due to the difference in teaching methods.  Hell, tertiary education isn't necessary.  The world needs a mixture of all professions to work, if everyone was a professor/electrician/labourer, nothing would get done.
not that many people can afford 200k in tuition... lots of private colleges aren't worth it at all. Even a prestigious place like NYU isn't really worth the cost.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard