unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Just ordered: Egil's Saga

Kmar wrote:

Uzi lambasted me for only giving it 3 stars.. in retrospect he was prolly right to..lol
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but even if I do, it would be waaaaay down the list.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

heggs wrote:

Working on The Zombie Survival Guide
and
Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain.

Both pretty good.
Medium Raw was meh. It was like reading the transcript from his show.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

Jay wrote:

heggs wrote:

Working on The Zombie Survival Guide
and
Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain.

Both pretty good.
Medium Raw was meh. It was like reading the transcript from his show.
Yeah medium raw was alright. He's my idol but even so it was just okay. Kitchen Conf and A Chef's Tour are fuckin awesome though.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
I like the way he writes, so I don't find his book to be bad.

Yeah, I also have Kitchen Confidential, which I'll be reading eventually.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

heggs wrote:

I like the way he writes, so I don't find his book to be bad.

Yeah, I also have Kitchen Confidential, which I'll be reading eventually.
Should've read it first! I couldn't put it down, finished within 24 hrs
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

ATG, The Zombie Wars

Last edited by 13urnzz (2012-03-29 09:42:26)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam

13urnzz wrote:

Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Burnz keepin it real. Respect homie.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Uzi lambasted me for only giving it 3 stars.. in retrospect he was prolly right to..lol
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but even if I do, it would be waaaaay down the list.
Why in the shitz would this be waaay down any list?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
newbie has to re-read the game of thrones web-comics that they're doing before he can spare the time for that sucker dostoyevsky. what a bore! doesn't even have chicks fighting or medieval weaponry.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-03 20:24:30)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

fuck dostoyevsky then. imma bust out my e-book version of The Life and Times of Farrah's Fawcett , the Amazon .com version's only $3 more than the Hard bound.

They're having a sale!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Both me and my girl are kinda over the ebook thing. I dunno, we tried them for awhile, but we missed actually having physical copies. On a related note, I have two kindles for sale..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
well would you look at that, the mcfad is soooo yesterday
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Kmar wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Because of the sheer quantity of books I haven't gotten to yet. If I can be convinced it's worth bumping up, I'll get to it sooner.

Uzique wrote:

newbie has to re-read the game of thrones web-comics that they're doing before he can spare the time for that sucker dostoyevsky. what a bore! doesn't even have chicks fighting or medieval weaponry.
I haven't heard of Game of Thrones until the thread on it started in BF2S. Still haven't read any of them or seen the show. The description sounds too generic.

Glad to see you still know everything there is to know about everyone else, though. Same old uzique.

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/art.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kmar wrote:

Both me and my girl are kinda over the ebook thing. I dunno, we tried them for awhile, but we missed actually having physical copies. On a related note, I have two kindles for sale..lol
I'll be honest and say that I'm mostly over it myself. I like being able to peek and see how many pages I have left in the chapter or book. I like being able to flip back and forth as needed. But mostly I just want to be able to have a physical library for my future kids to look through. What happens if I lose my kindle (yes, I can re-download) or the format changes, or Amazon stops supporting Kindle at some point in the future? Shit out of luck.

I never stopped buying physical copies anyway, so no real harm done. I'll keep my kindle for throwaway books to be read while traveling and the like.

Last edited by Jay (2012-04-04 11:25:26)

-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Ebooks have a niche, for sure. It's practical for people who travel a lot or move a lot or live in a place that doesn't make sense to have bookshelf in.

I keep my nook as kind of a second option. Its good for certain situations, but I never thought of it as a replacement for physical copies.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I have a Prime membership, so I've been considering a kindle. Still, I can't get over the fact that I far prefer bound paper to the electronic medium. I don't mind it for things like short stories, though.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Ebooks have a niche, for sure. It's practical for people who travel a lot or move a lot or live in a place that doesn't make sense to have bookshelf in.

I keep my nook as kind of a second option. Its good for certain situations, but I never thought of it as a replacement for physical copies.
Travelling. It's been a godsend recently. Been having to travel light and hang around in Hotels quite a lot recently, so I get through books quick. All I need is an Internet connection, my Kindle and my charger.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

And if you're into not paying for books, the ebook option wins easily. You can't torrent physical copies.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Because of the sheer quantity of books I haven't gotten to yet. If I can be convinced it's worth bumping up, I'll get to it sooner.

Uzique wrote:

I haven't heard of Game of Thrones until the thread on it started in BF2S. Still haven't read any of them or seen the show. The description sounds too generic.

Glad to see you still know everything there is to know about everyone else, though. Same old uzique.

i don't think you need to call me an art elitist to say that you've got to be a fucking retard to put dostoyevsky and i quote "waaaay down the list". who exactly is "waaaay" above dostoyevsky on any fiction list? he's one of the most gripping and visceral writers of all time. even kmar can tell you that and he doesn't wear a beret and consider himself part of the literatii. stop being evasive and just admit you said a dumb thing.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Jay wrote:

Kmar wrote:

But mostly I just want to be able to have a physical library for my future kids to look through.
funny u should say that. I only started in on dostoyevsky because I found them in my gf's library, which were infact handed down from her pops. I was very glad I did. She lent them to me with the agreement that "nothing would happen to them". Sentimental value I guess.. but really, its not like I'm gunna read them in the shower.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

Uzique wrote:

i don't think you need to call me an art elitist to say that you've got to be a fucking retard to put dostoyevsky and i quote "waaaay down the list". who exactly is "waaaay" above dostoyevsky on any fiction list? he's one of the most gripping and visceral writers of all time. even kmar can tell you that and he doesn't wear a beret and consider himself part of the literatii. stop being evasive and just admit you said a dumb thing.
Why must you always argue over something that is almost entirely opinion? Arguing over fact is fine, but enjoying a book or artist (or music) that someone doesn't prefer doesn't make you better or worse than them. That's what opinion is. Someone doesn't think Dostoyevsky is the most gripping novelists since sliced bread (though that's not even what UnN said)? Who cares.

Also, saying "and I quote" is only necessary when you're talking. When you write it out then put the actual quotation marks it's redundant.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That's because he's Uzique. He wants you to read the stuff he reads RIGHT NOW so he can lambaste you afterwards for not having read it sooner. As you said, nowhere have I ever criticized Dostoyevsky or his works, negatively or positively.

It's "waaaay" down the list because I have a huge list of books I haven't gotten to yet, some by authors I love and respect, others written by people I haven't read anything from yet. If whim grips me, I'll pick it up. But I'll get to it when I get to it. I don't want to do that particular book injustice only because some literary hothead on the internet thought he had to bulldog me into it like a Harry Potter fan with bony-handed quips and lopsided insults.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kmar wrote:

Jay wrote:

Kmar wrote:

But mostly I just want to be able to have a physical library for my future kids to look through.
funny u should say that. I only started in on dostoyevsky because I found them in my gf's library, which were infact handed down from her pops. I was very glad I did. She lent them to me with the agreement that "nothing would happen to them". Sentimental value I guess.. but really, its not like I'm gunna read them in the shower.
I've pulled many books out of my FFIL's library. Because of IP laws, going through other peoples libraries is really the only way to find any moderately old books anymore. Look at this chart showing the copyright dates of the books Amazon carries. That big spike in the 1910s is the cutoff for IP rights. Almost two generations worth of books locked away in vaults and lost to us...

https://marginalrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/crampton.png
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

pirana6 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Why must you always argue over something that is almost entirely opinion? Arguing over fact is fine, but enjoying a book or artist (or music) that someone doesn't prefer doesn't make you better or worse than them. That's what opinion is. Someone doesn't think Dostoyevsky is the most gripping novelists since sliced bread (though that's not even what UnN said)? Who cares.

Also, saying "and I quote" is only necessary when you're talking. When you write it out then put the actual quotation marks it's redundant.
first, it's a rhetorical flourish, it's not 'banned' from writing. it's actually quite common in journalistic or essayistic technique. thanks for lecturing me on how to write though. i'm sure you're eminently qualified and an excellent prose stylist.

secondly, this whole "entirely opinion" thing is the oldest garbage in the world. can you assert with a straight face that mozart is "waaaaaaaaaaay down the pile" when you listen almost exclusively to miley cyrus? if so, your whole "it's just entirely opinion" thing is a polite way of saying "i'm a mong, let me be".

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-05 05:18:22)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

pirana6, if your going to say if it's a matter of opinion, why would someone rank something "waaay down the list" without having read it? Unnewb is saying he doesn't have the time to read dostoyevsky.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard