Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

Swansea University student Liam Stacey, 21, from Pontypridd, was sentenced to 56 days on Tuesday.

He said the Swansea University biology student had admitted an offence of racist intent.

Stacey was sentenced at Swansea Magistrates' Court on Tuesday after admitting inciting racial hatred over remarks about the Bolton Wanderers player, who collapsed during a cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur.

Muamba, 23, who suffered a cardiac arrest, has been in hospital since the match on 17 March.

Mr Justice Wyn Williams told Stacey: "There can be no avoiding the conclusion that your offence was committed in the context of a grave illness that had afflicted Fabrice Muamba.

"It was immediately apparent that he was gravely ill and while he was lying prostrate on the pitch you posted comments that were extremely racist couched in terms that can only be described as extremely offensive.
'Behaviour'

"What was written was capable of being read by any user of Twitter and these messages provoked a very strong response.

"You received responses which were extremely critical but you did not desist - instead you posted eight messages which were extremely abusive and insulting.

"You later realised the enormity of your behaviour and tried to apologise.

"But you deserve to be punished for your actions. It can't be argued that a term of 56 days is too long for this offence.

"By pleading guilty you admitted a racist intent to your comments."

Stacey was arrested after his comments on the social networking site were reported by other users.

A number of people challenged Stacey on Twitter following his first comment, and he responded with a number of offensive posts aimed at other Twitter users.
'Stigma'

Last week the court heard how Stacey posted the offensive comments shortly after the former England Under-21 star collapsed during the FA Cup quarter-final at White Hart Lane.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AlzuObR0RSE/T2TsbJ8sB0I/AAAAAAAAA0A/0Hd90l-3JMo/s1600/MUAMBA2.jpg

That's not worthy of a 56 day sentence. That's not even worthy of a stern talking to by the police. Going to jail for saying stuff on twitter is something the Syrian government would do. Your country should be ashamed.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5248|foggy bottom
land of the free, eh
Tu Stultus Es
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
yeah didn't warrant a jail sentence. community order+fine or whatever, the fact he's now got a criminal record for saying something dumb while drunk is probably punishment enough
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Sturgeon
+488|4929|Flintshire
No, fuck him, we don't need little cunts like that mouthing off with no repercussions
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6647|BC, Canada
don't worry, you can kill a black man who's wearing a hoody in the states and claim self defense.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6094|eXtreme to the maX
But you can't stick your finger up on TV.

Racial abuse =/= Free Speech
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705
this is just such a weird thing for uni students to do.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6511|...

If he he called someone telephone and said these things, would it have warranted a sentence?

What if he showed up to their houses/dorms/flats/campers?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

jsnipy wrote:

If he he called someone telephone and said these things, would it have warranted a sentence?

What if he showed up to their houses/dorms/flats/campers?
The twitter is public. The house and telephone is private.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6681
Would he get the same sentence if he yelled these things at the guy in a pub?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Superior Mind wrote:

Would he get the same sentence if he yelled these things at the guy in a pub?
Potentially, yup.

Racial abuse, inciting racial hatred, breach of the peace, 56 days easily.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Go try exercising your first amendment rights in a bar in a shitty part of town.

Edit: Sh1fty deleted the post above this one.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-03-31 20:41:39)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6703|US
Dilbert, there is a difference between picking a fight with angry drunks in a bar and having the police arrest you for saying idiotic things...I don't know if you realized this, but one has civil rights implications and the other is dealt with via assault and battery laws.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6486

dilbert won't be stopped by mere technicalities!
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6180|Roma
56 days is harsh. got kicked out on Uni in his 3rd year as well.
Hefty fine would have been better IMO
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6544
That's the first time I've seen what he actually got jailed for. Absolutely ridiculous. I'd be in a maximum security penitentiary at this stage.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5346|London, England
How about just a billboard stating This Guy Is A Douchebag? Fines and/or jail time for typing words on the internet is a terrible precedent.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
like dilbert pointed out, what he said is against the law etc etc, and this came in the wake of a very public story over here (footballer collapsing on pitch) so it's possible this was done to set an example. the main issue with it isn't that he's a waste of sperm (he plainly is), it's that what he did a)probably doesn't have precedent for the sentence handed out, and b)could have been better served by some other measure (community order+fine for example)

ps please don't hand over my mod action history to new scotland yard tia
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The law is ridiculous then.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
i'm happy with a law for locking up dumb racist pricks intent on inciting a reaction. where this gets muddy is how it's applied to social media.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6647|BC, Canada
You Irish need to chill out with your excessive drinking, wife beating and potato eating.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6620|949

Many of the uk members here have posted similarly worded stuff from time to time. To lock someone up over it is absolutely retarded.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
agree on the jail time part of it, should still have been punished though.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Makes me glad we kicked your ass back in dubya dubya two
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum

Jay wrote:

Makes me glad we kicked your ass back in dubya dubya two
enough of that chat mr. german descendant wot wot
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard