UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6657

WiBu wrote:

Has 1.3 ruined BF2's gameplay?
No.

edit: yeah, one word in answer to a yes/no question... that really deserves neg

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-05-23 16:48:30)

Riddicker
+40|6552|Germany - Bavaria
I donĀ“t think it ruins gameplay! I played 3 hours now and nothing special! Vehicle drop is really funny! Boat on Iron Gator is really useless if it is droped at the carrier! But the Squad change is really good for better teamwork and not for stupid Squad-Jumping!
gameaddict
+35|6683|let op drempels

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

WiBu wrote:

ComradeWho wrote:

as much as i am unhappy with this patch i think that the game's pace will increase
Again, I'm not trying to be insulting but how can the games pace increase when the possibility of spawning near the action, behind enemy lines and in to the spots your most needed (saving a flag, assaulting a flag etc) has been greatly decreased?

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Found myself a new hobby with this patch.....killing snipers with humvee's of the roof
Thanks for the constructive comment O_o
Srry needed to say it, but its hasn't ruined the game........the game is faster now, more action , arty is stronger against armor, so i kinda like the patch.
how much stronger?? cause pre-patch you could go with a piece of armor straight into a arty attack and you would only die when a arty shell was a direct hit on your armor

Last edited by gameaddict (2006-05-23 15:05:41)

PunkX
stoned
+198|6627|Canada
Cant wait to see the number of exploits people can do with vehicle dropping
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6624|London, England
The only thing that annoys me is that i get is stuttering every second. Guess the new vehicles being added to the battlefield every 10 seconds or so + the fact that it has to remember your kit makes things really laggy. Even putting all my settings on low didn't stop it. Bf2 was fun whilst it lasted but my computer can no longer handle it. I doubt i will waste money into upgrading RAM. It's a shame because all those mods were coming out, i was lookin forward to it but if you can't even handle vBF2 anymore a mod will never work. Patches generally fix bugs/game issues/make the game perform better. All of the previous patches have done at least one of those things. This one doesn't really fix anything (only clanners used squad hopping alot), it added stuff that wasn't needed and didn't fix anything people were talking about (J10 issue)

More like some sort of half-assed mod to the game than a patch to fix game issues/bugs. I'm not whining or anything, just saying that there was potential to do alot with this patch. It seems like a completely different DICE team was working on this patch that didn't even make/play the game at all.

Edit:
Anyone notice how servers that had verification disabled now have it turned on? Basically all of my favorites had no verification (quicker to get in game), but now they all have verification (also shown with that green computer screen). This one's annoying becuase the verification process takes alot out of my computer and so basically - this is probably why i lag so much now. That and there has to be something wrong with the coding or whatever.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2006-05-23 15:32:42)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6670

Colfax wrote:

xaven wrote:

Colfax wrote:

Maybe the squad leader should stay hidden and wait for it to be safe.  [...] Learn your place in this war.  When i'm squad leader i let my squad go ahead of me and i stay back hidden so they never know i am even there.  Then once they die they spawn on me and continue the attack.  Is this concept hard? NO!  Right not hard?  300 hours of play time and you havent figured out how to even run a squad properly.....
Camper. You have no idea about playing bf2.
How am i a camper...your an idiot.

Squad leaders are supposed to stay back (provide support) and let their squad do their job.  That is clear the area and then the squad ldr moves forward.
Exactly.  It's a tactic my team uses very effectively.  The extra muscle is that I often S/L in an APC, have my team unload a little off from the flag, just far enough from any nearby spawn point.  I then spot and offer cover fire as they advance to the flag.  Then off to the next flag.  Now, with vehicle drops, if we lose our ride, we can advance with a fresh new transport.

It's more fun playing with some semblance of realistic strategy, than pinning all your tactics on teleporting tricks and overwhelming a flag with numbers.  Too bad they took away the WCR win/loss ratio though.  Less motivation to win now.  Would have been better if they just reduced the ratio.

Last edited by Ilocano (2006-05-23 15:43:43)

Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6636|USA
NO! its amazing now!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6670

Naughty_Om wrote:

NO! its amazing now!
Yeah, a sniper can now more easily defend a flag singlehandedly...   Kill the S/L, then pick off the rest.

Last edited by Ilocano (2006-05-23 15:51:56)

Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6636|USA
yea, no more worrying about a continuous spray of enemies......can travel faster....the only reason why people might not like it is the errors the receive b4 playing, like load times...and glitches, but thats their compy's not the game...
drepamig
+3|6652|Escanaba, MI

Colfax wrote:

Your gonna quit because they changed an aspect of the game.  You can't cycle squad leaders now..ddamn what should we do. 

Maybe the squad leader should stay hidden and wait for it to be safe.  Let his squad do their job and clear the area ahead and the squad ldr provide support when needed.  Call in UAV, supply drops, vheicles etc....thats the squad leaders job not to be pwning up front and leading the charge.   Learn your place in this war.  When i'm squad leader i let my squad go ahead of me and i stay back hidden so they never know i am even there.  Then once they die they spawn on me and continue the attack.  Is this concept hard? NO!  Right not hard?  300 hours of play time and you havent figured out how to even run a squad properly.....
If this is how they intended the SL to play, then they should have changed the scoring system for the SL to make it more like a commander - something like the average of the squad - to promote the squad to do well and work together. As it is now, theoretically, if you follow your own advice, you should have ZERO points at the end of the round. You should have sat far enough away as to not get yourself killed but still be a mobile spawn point. Hell, if you want it that way, they should make all SLs just a floating spawn dot that you can place from a commander-like screen while you sit back in the rear and give them orders.

It just doesn't work that way. It's personally* not fun to have to sit back and say "move out, attack here" and request supplies while your squadmates do all of the dirty work.

Yay EA, way to go. I'm glad you fixed this exploit. They haven't mentioned fixing the real exploit on Sharqi. They haven't mentioned the name bug, or the random crash to desktop, or the balance issuses on Wake or to some extent Dalian, etc, etc. If they want to change this "exploit," they should have made it a server side option so each server admin could decide if it really was an exploit.

*edited for the asshat 2 posts below me

Last edited by drepamig (2006-05-23 22:47:43)

xaven
+25|6737|Berlin

Colfax wrote:

xaven wrote:

Colfax wrote:

Maybe the squad leader should stay hidden and wait for it to be safe.  [...] Learn your place in this war.  When i'm squad leader i let my squad go ahead of me and i stay back hidden so they never know i am even there.  Then once they die they spawn on me and continue the attack.  Is this concept hard? NO!  Right not hard?  300 hours of play time and you havent figured out how to even run a squad properly.....
Camper. You have no idea about playing bf2.
How am i a camper...your an idiot.

Squad leaders are supposed to stay back (provide support) and let their squad do their job.  That is clear the area and then the squad ldr moves forward.
you started playing bf2 in january this year? you call me an idiot? obviously you have no idea about playing bf2 AND no idea about argumentation. you can camp at a corner providing a spawnpoint, but only if every enemy player has no idea what to do. now I can wipe out your squad alone, I'll kill you (the squad leader, easy to find out who) first and then step by step the rest. all you have to do is: find the leader, kill him, you win. it was hard for usmc to win karkand, now it is nearly impossible (we talk about servers where ppl know what they do). and so on. I'm too tired to write down all the results of this patch, but you should think twice before you post.

Last edited by xaven (2006-05-23 15:57:37)

David_Lynch
+2|6558

drepamig wrote:

It just doesn't work that way. It's not fun to have to sit back and say "move out, attack here" and request supplies while your squadmates do all of the dirty work.
Who are you to say what is, or isn't fun?
smarty
+0|6553

WiBu wrote:

I can't help but feel 1.3 has ruined BF2's gameplay. Before the patch action was fast (most of the time), flags were constaintly dropping/being captured, advancements were reletively frequent and it was possible to do pretty well as the assaulting team (US on wake, MEC on sharqi etc).

After 1.3 the game just feel slow, flags rarely drop/get taken, it's near on impossible to have a sustained assault on wake to get a flag, it's hard to make advancements of any effect behind the enemy, and teamplay has been nerfed; I used to be in a squad with friends all the time, now it just seems like I'm better off lone wolfing it.

Why has this happend? They've effectively made squads useless. I know why they've done it, squad hopping around the map is wrong (capturing a flag, suiciding and then joining the squad on the other side map to capture another flag). However, squad hopping to get to the battle, to help an advancement, even to capture flags without the suicide is part of the BF2 gameplay mechanics and what make (made?) it a great game. Now it's just a slow combering beast which in all fairness, is boring to play.

I've played 4 or so rounds with the patch and all of them suffered from the same fate, the 2 wake rounds the US failed to make any real dent on the main island, occasionally capturing a flag and then losing is soon after. the second 2 rounds where on sharqi where the MEC suffered the same fate as the US on wake.

Edit:

It seems some people just want to argue. I've just got a -1 karma for this; the reason "bitch bitch bitch".
you dont have a clue what your on about and in fact it has made the game better i should know ive been playing it all night

WiBu wrote:

-=256=-Evo_Wales wrote:

Increases the need for teamwork i found
I found it seperated the team, but made squadwork more important. I don't play bf2 so I can cater to 1 or 2 people in my squad needs. If I wanted to work in small teams I'd play CS (but I don't as I find it completely 1 dimensional).
Hey, Counter-Strike isn't 1 dimentional...

I don't like 1.3, makes achievements alot easier to get...
FromTheAshes
+53|6708
Lol it's fun airdropping veichles while in a plane then skydive to them.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

WiBu wrote:

Has 1.3 ruined BF2's gameplay?
No.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6693|Tampa Bay Florida

TheCanadianTerrorist wrote:

Hey, Counter-Strike isn't 1 dimentional...
Yeah. compared to games like Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2, ya, it is.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6657
Okay, maybe hasn't ruined gameplay, but I've just had the -third- drop to desktop in a row.  Anyway, first impressions were good, but now I'm pissed off, I'd have got my 100 best round for PLA (40+ points as commander, and winning with about 40 tickets left for enemy team) then if it hadn't crashed to desktop
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6636|USA
welllll, crashing to desktop usually means a file is missing, or error with server...ive noticed this problem with MODS, where simple things like switching guns in a jet causes crash. it is less frequent with vanilla because there is a certain sequence in order for the .exe to come across something it doesnt recognize.
Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6651|I smell corners

gameaddict wrote:

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

WiBu wrote:

ComradeWho wrote:

as much as i am unhappy with this patch i think that the game's pace will increase
Again, I'm not trying to be insulting but how can the games pace increase when the possibility of spawning near the action, behind enemy lines and in to the spots your most needed (saving a flag, assaulting a flag etc) has been greatly decreased?

Thanks for the constructive comment O_o
Srry needed to say it, but its hasn't ruined the game........the game is faster now, more action , arty is stronger against armor, so i kinda like the patch.
how much stronger?? cause pre-patch you could go with a piece of armor straight into a arty attack and you would only die when a arty shell was a direct hit on your armor
I can tell you now you don't do that anymore....one arty hit and BOOOMMMMM I was dead...2 times in my first round with 1.3
crownvic96
+5|6557
having played a few rounds of wake with the patch. i can see no real difference. mainly because a) iwhen i'm with a squad i try and lead it or stay in the same squad for the duration of that round or i'm lonewolfing and b) they weren't being jackasses with the vehicle dropping. someone needed a vehicle, it was dropped. end of story. servers were running smooth and ping wasn't bad. had a couple good rounds with a team in a blackhawk and in attack helo's for china and usmc. played in some armor and light vehicles as well as my old standby support kit.

i haven't had any other problems with ctd or anything of that nature. small graphics problem but it might just be on my end and it doesn't affect my gameplay.

so for my the tally of changes that has affected me good or bad is a big fat goose egg. thats a 0 for those that need some help.

enjoy and think happy thoughts and happy things will happen!
Jack Bauer
WWJD - What Would Jack Do
+26|6557

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Okay, maybe hasn't ruined gameplay, but I've just had the -third- drop to desktop in a row.  Anyway, first impressions were good, but now I'm pissed off, I'd have got my 100 best round for PLA (40+ points as commander, and winning with about 40 tickets left for enemy team) then if it hadn't crashed to desktop
Try reinstalling it, there is a good chance it will at least improve the games stability for you.  I'm probably going to have to do it too what a pain

Regards,
Jack Bauer

*EDIT* - by reinstall, i mean the game, not just the patch

Last edited by Jack Bauer (2006-05-23 16:42:48)

Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6700|Germany

Ilocano wrote:

Naughty_Om wrote:

NO! its amazing now!
Yeah, a sniper can now more easily defend a flag singlehandedly...   Kill the S/L, then pick off the rest.
The squad leader has to stay in the back now.And the rest can easily become squadleaders themselves and new people can spawn on them,just the cycling of the squad leader position is eliminated now.
I think it's good like it is now,squadhopping was abused definitely abused for uncap baseraping.
6 people would totally demolish an uncappable base with it and unless you took out all 6 of them in one strike they were impossible to get rid of.

Now the squad leader has to stay alive and if discovered by a satscan from a cautious commander he has to run or to fight,which defends the attack on the base.
The classic squadhopping baserape team is totally unrealistic in comparison,if abused correctly it's like a friggin' virus of infantry spawning at close range.
There are no great tactics or strategy in squadhopping besides "when you die as squadleader get out of the squad and back in so you can spawn right back in the action",now the people actually have to plan their moves when attacking somewhere,not just mindless rushing in without the risk of ever have to fall back because the troops just can keep on coming.

Now you actually have to start a whole new attack,that's were the dropped vehicles come into play.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6796|Jupiter
Jeep Droping FTW!
DrunkFlea
+6|6644
I just keep trying to understand why these changes were made.  I've played through every patch that has come out for BF2 and am just stuck scratching my head on this one.  Why can't they just fix the actual bugs and leave the game play alone, the game has been out for almost a year dammit.. just let it ride off into the sunset as is.

Did we really need the overhaul to squads NOW? It was what it was and should have been left at that.  Do you honestly believe that most will say.. "Gee, I need to do more team oriented stuff for the benefit of my squad".  Yeah, don't kid yourselves.  You'll all be lucky to find a competent squad just as before, and when you do they wont stay together for long.  Tell me, what's the first thing a squad leader does when he gets capped?  He relinquishes duties to the next in command.  OK, well there goes one squad member, and the next squad leader when he dies?  You guessed it.  Soon the great squad you had is totally fragmented across the map. 

The only good thing to happen that I can see is dropping the award requirements.  At least now the stupid tards you see off in the corner stat padding will get their awards quicker.  After they've accomplish this (the only true team play detractor in BF2), maybe they will either join the fight or allow room for someone who will.

Oh and don't even get me started on the jeep drop.  Yeah, let's try to make squads more realistic while jeeps are landing on buildings, carriers, helis, troops...ect.  This sux ass, can't I just have the game I played last night back?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard