Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney
Yeah cool, just want to make sure you understand what you could potentially get yourself into if you weren't already aware. Always plenty of time to move onto a split and if you're finding a three day FBW not enough then I guess do whatever you feel is right for you. But better to start on the easier side and work your way up than the other way around, especially when you consider your recovery from an injury.
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Been a bit slack and pissed off at myself for it. Got back into it again this week after having only one workout last week due to a cold (no excuse I know, hence me being pissed at myself). Not shedding the fat as much as I like so I decided to throw some cardio in. I know that I could just eat less but I did notice in the past it did help. Anyway, just smashed a workout and I feel fucked
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

All the benches were occupied tonight when I wanted to do dumbbell shoulder presses so I figured I'd use a machine instead. Never again. Feels like I tweaked something in my lower neck
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Free weights >>>>>>>>>> machines (in almost all cases)

That sucks bugz
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

On a positive note, it'll give me a chance to focus more on my core/legs for a while (I've been doing full body workouts since mid-January).

Last edited by bugz (2012-03-15 19:47:19)

Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
In future if you can't access the benches maybe try doing a barbell overhead press? Just a suggestion.

What's your current workout?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

Incline leg press 3x10
Hamstring curls 3x8
Lat pulldowns 3x8
Cable flyes (dumbbell flyes if cable isn't available) 3x8
Dumbbell bench press (just started doing inclined) 3x8
Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
Shoulder shrugs 3x10
Tricep pushdowns 3x8
Standing barbell curls 3x6-8
Hammer curls 3x6-8
Crunches (several different variations) 4-5x15
Side planks held for at least 30sec
Regular plank held for at least 30sec

Finish it off with 20 minutes of 1 minute on 2 minute off intervals with 5 minute cooldown on the treadmill

I really need to start working on my back. Not sure which exercises to start with.

Last edited by bugz (2012-03-15 20:46:59)

.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6808|Marathon, Florida Keys
pull ups, deadlifts, rows
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney

bugz wrote:

Incline leg press 3x10
Hamstring curls 3x8
Lat pulldowns 3x8
Cable flyes (dumbbell flyes if cable isn't available) 3x8
Dumbbell bench press (just started doing inclined) 3x8
Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
Shoulder shrugs 3x10
Tricep pushdowns 3x8
Standing barbell curls 3x6-8
Hammer curls 3x6-8
Crunches (several different variations) 4-5x15
Side planks held for at least 30sec
Regular plank held for at least 30sec

Finish it off with 20 minutes of 1 minute on 2 minute off intervals with 5 minute cooldown on the treadmill

I really need to start working on my back. Not sure which exercises to start with.
That's a lot of exercises.

I do two workouts. All of 4x5 as I'm trying to lose weight whilst maintaining muscle. When I want to start gaining I'll up it to 5x5 an change my diet accordingly.

Workout A

Squats
Bench Press
Bent over rows

Workout B

Deadlifts
Pull ups
Overhead press

All using a barbell (except the pull ups of course). That's also a full body workout without the all the little isolation exercises. Most cases it's better to do compounds than isolation exercises AFAIK.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

Takes ~30-35 minutes to do the weights in addition to the 25 on the treadmill. I try to limit it to an hour (plus or minus 10 minutes)
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Have a read of this sometime, it explains my stance on compound vs. isolation exercises.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/compound … exercises/
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

Funny you should mention that. My workout today consisted largely of the compound exercises mentioned in that article.

Deadlift
Calf raises with barbell on shoulders
Seated cable row
Rear delt row
Shoulder press
Dumbbell bench press
Pull ups
Leg raises (parallel bars)
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
I don't know how you can get through all that in the time. It takes me around 40 minutes to do 4x5 of three exercises, including warmup.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

I usually pause for 10-20 seconds between each set and about 40-60 between each exercise. Doesn't feel like I'm rushing
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Wow. I pause for a couple minutes between each set, because I'm hitting on some exercises the limit of what I can lift, which for me is pretty heavy.

I have the deadlifts up to 90kg now at 4x5 and still feel I can up it for a while yet. Squats are slowing down, I feel 85kg is pretty hard but I realised recently my form wasn't perfect, so in the last workout I adjusted slightly. Bench press was at 55kg, reduced to 50kg cause I had almost a fortnight off but the final set instead of doing 4x5 I did 3x5 and managed 10 straight reps on the final set, felt awesome

Up to 42kg on the OHP but man it is hard now. I'm going to stay at that weight for a while I think till I start eating enough to grow some muscle.
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Hmm squats were easier today than last week despite being 2.5kg heavier
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5541|Toronto

bugz wrote:

I usually pause for 10-20 seconds between each set and about 40-60 between each exercise. Doesn't feel like I'm rushing
I go to a gym during the summer that seems to be frequented only by highshool classmates and their friends, so we chat for 3-4 min between sets. I would not recommend. I'm at the gym twice as long as I should be.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
I just think 10-20 second rests means you're not lifting heavy, ie. training more for endurance than strength or mass?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
how does one (or you personally) know when they're overtraining? Are there certain symptoms? What would be a symptom of undertraining? Just a plateau that you can't get past? Isn't that a symptom of overtraining as well?

I could go into the details (re: working chest/tris) but I figure I'll ask a basic question and see where I can go from there.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
also, overtraining can be done with too many sets/reps in one day OR too many days a week right? And as far as overtraining is concerned, doing those are roughly equivalent to each other?

ps i'm going for more strength/size than endurance. i.e. 6-12 reps depending on exercise, new workout regime, day, etc.

edito: spelling

Last edited by pirana6 (2012-03-20 13:27:15)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

If you're supersetting, you should be resting for 1 minute and 20 seconds, if you're doing normal sets but lifting to near failure or a hard weight for yourself you should be resting 45 seconds. There should be no set where you take less than 30 seconds rest between them, no matter what regime you are on.

Overtraining usually accounts for time spent and days spent on workouts, not so much sets/reps. You can vary your sets and reps depending on what you're aiming for. 3-4 sets for size/strength ratio is ideally what you want to be looking for, with about 3-4 exercises for big muscles and 2 for smaller ones. Sets and reps will affect you if you take it too far, but overtraining is more to do with the amount of time spent on workouts. No more than 1.15 hours should be spent in a workout, including rest periods. 15 of those minutes spent doing abs at the end.

@ Bugz - You're not training yourself right or finding it hard enough, up the anti and start resting more. Muscles won't be affected by weights that you can do in a relatively easy manner. You should be struggling to push up the last rep on your first set, and struggling even more on second and then on third. If that's not happening then you're either on the wrong regime and/or your weights are too light.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

Alright, I'll slow it down next time I go.

On an unrelated note: has anyone ever experienced stinging in their forearm when doing pulling motions? Lat pulldowns are one example. Even when using the same amount of weight I was able to do perfectly fine the previous week, about mid-way through the first set my forearms start burning (and not in a good muscle-being-worked way). This seems to happen randomly every now and then.

Maybe my grip's too tight? I dunno
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
I don't think it's just about slowing it down, it's also about increasing the weight. If you're powering through your exercises like that with very little rest in between it means you aren't lifting heavy enough, because if you were you'd feel fucked after the first three or four exercises.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-03-20 21:16:21)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Well it seems about time i start doing muscle group splits

For about 3 months i did full body 2-3 times a week then for about a year i did 2 upper body workouts a week and 1 lower (then the next week was 2 lower, 1 upper) but I notice I don't isolate the muscles anymore. Everything just gets semi-weak now when i'm done, not certain muscles getting very weak like I want.

chest/tri's
bi's/back
legs/core
etc.

for me now. gotta spend the weekend making routines
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
So bored today I priced out my own home gym...
Given that I'm about to win the lottery I should probably just buy all this now and wait for my numbers to hit

Type Model Price
Bench Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Bench Series 5.1 $230.00
Powerline PFID130X Flat Incline Decline Bench $152.77 (optional)
Power Cage Legend Fitness 3133 Power Cage with Plate Storage $1,529.00
BodyCraft Power Cage F430 $629.95 (optional)
Bayou Fitness E-Series Power Cage E-7620 $686.00 (optional)
PowerLine PPR200X Power Rack $349.00 (optional)
Dumbbells Body Solid Rubber Hex 5-50lbs Dumbbell Set $999.99
Body Solid Rubber Hex 55-75lbs Dumbbell Set $1199.99
Body Solid Rubber Hex 80-100lbs Dumbbell Set $1499.99
Dumbbell Rack Body-Solid 40" 3-Tier Dumbbell Rack $165.00 (x3 = $495.00)
Plates Body Solid Rubber Grip Olympic Plate 455 lb. Weight Set $588.99
Barbell Pendlay Nexgen HD Olympic Bar $349.00
Multi-use FreeMotion Dual Cable Cross $2,925.00
Total (without options) = $9816.96

edito: extra line, see bugz next post

Last edited by pirana6 (2012-03-23 15:47:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard