scarslilpyro
(Leave blank to use forum default.)
+3|6180|Bay area
I formatted windows

bf3 and origin folders always on another partition and game ran fine (mistakenly only gave windows partition 20gb several years ago, and both of the hard drives are full so I can't re-size it - or can I??)

so really nothing has changed other than windows partition

I have saved the documents from libraries > documents > battlefield 3 ( https://s15.postimage.org/ywlve6njb/segsg.jpg )

not sure about the app data

is there a away around downloading the 12gb game + 4gb patch?

if not, is there a way to prevent from having to download it again when I format again?
/signature/
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6299|Washington St.
wait

scarslilpyro wrote:

I formatted windows
k so far so good. so it's a new install right?

bf3 and origin folders always on another partition and game ran fine
sure

(mistakenly only gave windows partition 20gb several years ago, and both of the hard drives are full so I can't re-size it - or can I??)
sure. well sorta. but you'd have to elaborate. the partition windows is on? But didn't you just format?

so really nothing has changed other than windows partition
ok so you made a 20gb partition and put windows on it and just recently reformatted it? I think i'm catching on. And you want to know if you can extend that over the other partition? Yes but I believe THAT partition has to be reformatted (which obv means losing everything on it)

I have saved the documents from libraries > documents > battlefield 3 ( http://s15.postimage.org/ywlve6njb/segsg.jpg
)

not sure about the app data
Just reinstall and play a round then replace what the game built for you (i.e. the bf3 docs) with the ones you saved from your old profile (in the picture you provided).

is there a away around downloading the 12gb game + 4gb patch?
No. Not if you formatted the HD partition it was originally on. Just set it and go to class/work/outside

if not, is there a way to prevent from having to download it again when I format again?
Can you put it on the partition you just formatted (assuming there's room on the 20gigs, and yes it will be tight even if there isn't much else on there, but then again there shouldn't if you just formatted) then format the rest of the drive and extend the OS partition. Then you'll have one big HD left and BF3 will be there ready to roll.

Right? I just got back from exercising and there isn't much blood left in my brain so forgive me if I got this all wrong.
scarslilpyro
+3|6180|Bay area
ok let me clear some things up! (thanks for the reply BTW)

1. windows partition has always been 20gb and never had any problems (I rarely ever install any programs on this partition, it's strictly for windows)

2. it has been 20gb for years. and my 500gb and rest of the 200gb (the windows partition is on the 200gb hdd) are all full. so re-sizing the partition I assume, would not be an easy task.

3. I installed origin, then started to download bf3. But then I quit origin, and moved "battlefield3" folder contents to the new folder (renamed the old ones)

seems to have worked. right now origin is updating bf3 so I will see how it goes. (112.9mb update)

if this works, I will write a new thread and hopefully it can be stickied (this is more of a help me thread, I don't think it would be easy to get info from)
/signature/
scarslilpyro
+3|6180|Bay area
ok

since the game manager said I needed to update bf3, but was waiting till I was finished installing (even though I wasn't) I right clicked on BF3 and hit update. Then it updated.

but then it says I have an old version of nvidia drivers or something

Now I have to update my nvidia drivers. so I am downloading that.

Last edited by scarslilpyro (2012-03-12 23:47:08)

/signature/
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6299|Washington St.
Do you want your 200gig drive to be one full drive with the OS and anything else on it or did you specifically want a second partition for just windows? I think I was wrong earlier btw, I'm pretty sure you CANNOT extend a boot or system volume so if you want one full 200gig drive you'll need to REformat that whole drive (sorry!) which will mean deleting everything off the entire drive. (though as you can see you can move the page file to another drive then extend but that's iffy and can get dangerous)

But it seems stuff is starting to work as far as origin and BF3 is concerned so if that's all you needed then there's no reason to go through that whole hassle. Well there are a few reasons to (and some NOT to) but that's a whole different project than just getting a game working.

if this works, I will write a new thread
about what? Isn't this all you needed? I would also suggest keeping any help in this thread as we've already started here and there's no reason to split up information, also this:

hopefully it can be stickied
rarely happens for specific help issues so we should keep it confined here.

Last edited by pirana6 (2012-03-13 00:35:57)

scarslilpyro
+3|6180|Bay area
alright, guess I'll let it go. I dont frequent here but hopefully people that do can let people know how to backup the game if they want to format windows so they don't have to download it all over again

it worked 100%

kind of a long process but it worked.

1 hour vs 12 hours to download sure is nice

I simply want to add 10gb to the windows partition as it's just BARELY too small for some reason...I Guess 64bit windows uses a lot more space?

Last edited by scarslilpyro (2012-03-13 01:03:31)

/signature/
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6699|Devon, England
Try uninstalling some Windows Components (Un-needed ones, obvs) from Control Panel.

Just go buy a 120GB SSD and be done with it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard