Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6746|Toronto | Canada

i really doubt they would go up in price.  give it 3 or 4 months and i bet youll be able to get one
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4975|Dundee, Scotland.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

i really doubt they would go up in price.  give it 3 or 4 months and i bet youll be able to get one
Yeah it would spoil the whole premise of a £25 computer.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4975|Dundee, Scotland.
Anyone got any idea how to make a c++ program 'wait' for two seconds before exiting?

ie. the user enters 5 (to exit) then presses enter. the program outputs "Exiting", waits two seconds, then exits.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6698|Devon, England
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Okay, so I figured out what was wrong with my restarts. Turns out the restart/power pins were loose in the computer and I assume was causing them to shortcircuit. Seems to be the case as the computer has now been stable in both W7 and OSX. Damn, such a small thing to fix the issue...

So now onto my next dilemma:

I need a case. A really good case with some nice space and great air cooling. Not willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money, but will push upwards of £150 if it's justified. Not a gaming case, I don't give a shit for bright LED lights and stuff.

I was looking at the P280 or something alike. Any suggestions?
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6716|England. Stoke

Zimmer wrote:

Okay, so I figured out what was wrong with my restarts. Turns out the restart/power pins were loose in the computer and I assume was causing them to shortcircuit. Seems to be the case as the computer has now been stable in both W7 and OSX. Damn, such a small thing to fix the issue...
rofl
Benzin
+576|6006
NZXT Phantom - full ATX tower and multiple colors available
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6421|Finland

I don't think you can get much better air cooling case than Silverstone FT02. A bit more than £150 tho, but I guess it is worth it. Quite the opposite of "gaming case".

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-03-03 13:07:59)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

coke wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

rofl
Yeah, tell me about it. To be fair, such a small thing is easy to miss, especially as I'm constantly taking my GPU's in and out..

CapnNismo - I've not read great stuff about it and I think the case look utterly horrendous.

Panzer - Nice suggestion, and I would definitely buy it... if it wasn't that it was such a deep case. I've got a relatively straightforward desk and that will be sticking out like a sore thumb. I might be able to mod my desk for it, but it's still a pretty long case.

I was also thinking of the Level 10 GT case, thoughts?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6421|Finland

Haven't heard much of the Level 10 GT. Definately very rare case so I can't really say anything about it.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Haven't heard much of the Level 10 GT. Definately very rare case so I can't really say anything about it.
Been reading a lot about it and they say it's pretty much unparalleled in terms of cooling and set up. It's really easy to buy here, but it is £210... Although your suggestion is not much cheaper, and a lot less justified (if looking purely at design/build and cooling)
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6749|London

looks a lot like the case BMW designed for them
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum
got a case for a mate recently, only £50, but insulated for noise + (some) cable management. best part, it looks totally passive. just a smooth (very quiet) black box under his desk

lemme try and find what it was
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum
Coolermaster Silencio 550

^ that. it's pretty basic, but yeh its v quiet and sleek. i (personally) wouldn't want much more from a case that i could justify dropping another £50-100 on
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6319

How bout the Corsair 550D? A bit pricey but sleek looking and it has the benefits of tool-less drive mounting.
https://i.imgur.com/wqxO6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nF8WI.png

Last edited by bugz (2012-03-03 13:54:01)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Bugz - the only issue I have with the 650D is that it is let down in terms of cooling performance. And coming from an Antec 900 that's not going to be a good upgrade. Beautiful case and everything is spot on, but the cooling on it (according to reviews and tests) is not very good for the price.

@FatherTed - Had a bad experience with Coolermaster and it's not an upgrade to me Antec 900, in terms of space, cable management and cooling.

Okay, on another note, I need an upgrade to my Antec 900, this isn't just a "need a new case cause my case is shit" question. My case does the job in terms of cooling but sucks as in terms of cable management, looks, operation and build quality.
Benzin
+576|6006
I'm perfectly happy with my Phantom, really can't complain about it at all and it keeps all my parts nice and frosty. Cable management is a breeze and the build quality is spot on and I searched for MONTHS for an affordable big tower that also had nice looks (though the Phantom is an acquired taste like many big towers, it seems).

What exactly about cooling are you really picky about? If it's your CPU, why not pick up an H80 for your CPU?
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6661
The internal layout of the 550D is very similar to my 500R, and it was easy to build in and cable manage. And build quality seems excellent on everything but the slide out HDD trays (not sure if they are identical), which are on the flimsy-ish side compared to other aspects of the case. (You can actually see the tray with a drive in it sagging in that picture above...)

I doubt you would be disappointed with the 550D, but if there's a better option someone on here will find it for you.

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-03-03 14:46:27)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6666|BC, Canada
Li Li X500F

lil bit pricey though. 550D is a nice option. Maybe one of the Fractals?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

CapnNismo, I do not doubt your pick for the NZXT, and after doing a bit more research it certainly holds its own against its competitors. My one and only reason now for not wanting it is just the looks. Great case, as you've already vouched for it, but I just couldn't stand looking at that when I'm turning it on

The 550D, FT02 and Level 10 GT are top of my lists so far. However I'd rather not spend £200 on a case. So the 550D is definitely in front.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6666|BC, Canada
The FT02 is definitely a sweet case, looks great and functions amazing for air cooling. I've been waiting for Silverstone to do a Fortress case with the same interior as the RV03 for awhile. That case has a great layout but the Ravens are ugly as hell.
Benzin
+576|6006

Zimmer wrote:

CapnNismo, I do not doubt your pick for the NZXT, and after doing a bit more research it certainly holds its own against its competitors. My one and only reason now for not wanting it is just the looks. Great case, as you've already vouched for it, but I just couldn't stand looking at that when I'm turning it on
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I really thought it over for weeks after deciding on the case itself before I actually bought it. When I took it out of the box, though, I was pleasantly surprised. I bought the black one because I was afraid of the other colors. XD
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Seems the FT02 is getting a lot of praise... I'm still a bit weary due to the price of it. Seems nearly unjustifiable for such a price in comparison with other cases. I guess you get what you pay for.

On a totally different topic, I was thinking of starting a few posts about how to make web development easier for people and some vital tips and tricks of the trade. Who'd be interested in reading that sort of stuff? Would cover stuff from PHP deployment to Ruby Gems.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6259|England

Zimmer wrote:

Seems the FT02 is getting a lot of praise... I'm still a bit weary due to the price of it. Seems nearly unjustifiable for such a price in comparison with other cases. I guess you get what you pay for.
http://dealforu.co.uk/epages/eshop33017 … tViaPortal
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6319

Zimmer wrote:

On a totally different topic, I was thinking of starting a few posts about how to make web development easier for people and some vital tips and tricks of the trade. Who'd be interested in reading that sort of stuff? Would cover stuff from PHP deployment to Ruby Gems.
I'd read it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard