Do you believe in afterlife:

Yes, there is more to it than just the world we can see54%54% - 148
No, once you die its Game Over. You cease to exist.45%45% - 125
Total: 273
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX

Superior Mind wrote:

Perhaps all Earth creatures up until humans have lived in ignorant bliss. Why should we write off our ability to know our universe on a deep level (by the ability to describe it with language) as some false veil? By becoming learned beings we have crossed some evolutionary milestone and are compelled to explore the facets of reality. Dolphins may be as intelligent as us, but unfortunately they are confined to the sea and cannot create tools to further expand their species' knowledge-base on the  same level as humans.
The human ego is a wonderful thing.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
NAthANSmitt
Stud
+4|6124
I just noticed this topic is about 5 years old but whatever.

Faith is a gift that I have not received. An afterlife would be nice, just floating in blackness or the feelings from my happiest moment for eternity. I try to not be a total douche and if there isn't an afterlife then I won't know it, and if there is here's hoping I meet the minimum requirements for the good side.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5254|foggy bottom
ok tom hanks
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

Nihilism is the logical extension of atheism.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6688
We believe in notsing. We're going to cut off your johnson, Lebowski.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6650

How are you enjoying your new... Cincoboy
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6737|FUCK UBISOFT

When you die your consciousness is transferred to another universe where you survived. In this universe you are the only conscious being, all other people are automated. This is your personal universe, and you will be here for eternity. You will never die. It is likely that once you start to break records for longest life you will be come somewhat of a celebrity in your universe. You will outlive your friends, your children, your grandchildren, their children, and so on. The longer you live, the further your universe gets from the root or hub universe, where every conscious being begins its life. You may have already died. You may have never lived. Your existence may be the result of a change that was made in somebody else's personal universe, and you will never exist in the root universe. In that case you are not a conscious being. If you are reading this and are a conscious being, you have been to the hub universe, and you may be there now.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6805|Marathon, Florida Keys
The last 2 months of my moms life she was so doped up on pain medication that most of the time she wasn't in a state to communicate, when she wasn't on the drugs she was in extreme pain and was in pain even most of the time she was on the drugs. I watched her pass away right infront of me and for about 2 minutes before she went she just closed her eyes and had the first real smile on her face i had seen in so long. she whispered things to herself like "its beautiful" like she was looking at heaven. So yes, i believe in the afterlife.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6771|Moscow, Russia
no disrespect, but this^ is a joke, right? or troll bait? a person who's constantly on drugs closes eyes, starts whispering stuff and then dies... and that is a reason to believe in afterlife? really?

Last edited by Shahter (2012-02-27 21:19:25)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6688
Isn't there a flood of DMT into the brain at the moment of death?

Either way, Shater, what do you make of near death experiences?

Last edited by Superior Mind (2012-02-28 04:42:15)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6771|Moscow, Russia

Superior Mind wrote:

Shater, what do you make of near death experiences?
what about them?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6187|Roma
Hardly a simple answer
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6688
What do you make of them means what what do you think of them. As in how do you interpret the stories. How would you explain them? How else shall I phrase it?
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6728|Cambridge, England
There was a huge study in america into out of body experiences when people nearly die and say they look down and see themselves. The long and short of it was lots of distinctive objects were placed on top of the shelves / cabinets where they would be easily seen from above but not below, nobody who said they had an out of body experience spotted the objects.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

near-death/out of body experiences are like dreams - they aren't reality.

i could tell you stories about all the times I was on hallucinogens and I saw auras and floating bodies and felt like I was god or had the answer to the question of 'what is the meaning of life.'

but at the end of the day, its all bullshit.  I don't pretend that is evidence of anything other than me being on a mind-altering substance.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker

Shahter wrote:

no disrespect, but this^ is a joke, right? or troll bait? a person who's constantly on drugs closes eyes, starts whispering stuff and then dies... and that is a reason to believe in afterlife? really?
My grandfather did very similar things just before he passed away and he was not on any pain medication.  Is that a reason to believe?  That's for you to decide.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6688

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i could tell you stories about all the times I was on hallucinogens and I saw auras and floating bodies and felt like I was god or had the answer to the question of 'what is the meaning of life.'

but at the end of the day, its all bullshit.  I don't pretend that is evidence of anything other than me being on a mind-altering substance.
Your normal reality is regulated by a certain level of chemicals in your mind and body, yes? So how does changing the levels of those chemicals make the newly perceived reality any less real? Just because you weren't born that way? I'm not making any claims, just playing devils advocate.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2012-02-28 13:14:53)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

its point of reference.  Read FM's "i am a fish" argument from like 4 years ago.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5353|London, England
Move. Out. Of. Brooklyn.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6400|North Carolina

Superior Mind wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Your normal reality is regulated by a certain level of chemicals in your mind and body, yes? So how does changing the levels of those chemicals make the newly perceived reality any less real? Just because you weren't born that way? I'm not making any claims, just playing devils advocate.
I think he meant it in terms of objective reality.

Physically, you don't enter another realm when you're on drugs or having a near-death experience.

So, for all practical purposes, death is the end.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6688
Physicality we can be rather sure about, yes. But judging states of consciousness as "the right one" is rather more difficult.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

im not judging states of consciousness - im judging what you perceive when you're in an altered state.  what you perceive isn't always real - and to pretend that it is by comparing to what we think an afterlife would be or religious imagery is dumb.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

Jay wrote:

Move. Out. Of. Brooklyn.
he should have the same life experiences as you so he can have a true grasp on what life really is, right?  get over yourself dude.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6688

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

im not judging states of consciousness - im judging what you perceive when you're in an altered state.  what you perceive isn't always real - and to pretend that it is by comparing to what we think an afterlife would be or religious imagery is dumb.
Real as in measurably/physically real, OK. What we experience as base-line reality is a filter on top of the whole of reality. We know this to be absolutely true. We are dimensionally limited. So I feel wary about stating for sure that dreams/psychedelic trips are not as real/fake as the rest of what we experience.

In regards to the fish argument:

All that back and forth over what defines 'you' reminds me that there is no you or I. It's all an illusion until you get down the very core of our existence in which case we stream from a certain sameness... maybe.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2012-02-28 13:49:28)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

they are real in the fact that they shape how we view and interact with the world around us.  They are fake in that a dream/trip/drug-induced coma is not always an accurate reflection of the real physical world.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard