• Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Anybody looking for a FiOS coax/ethernet router that does Wireless N
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
This guy sells a bunch of used ones apparently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERIZON-Actiont … 4cf84320a9

I've done my research and the Revision F is the first one to support Wireless N although it's only draft spec, but still an improvement over Wireless G on all the others.  Chances are you have a Revision D right now unless you got a new installation recently because apparently they've started using the Rev F in some area on new installations.  If you have one of the original Revision A routers that has a box-life shape, you should strongly consider upgrading, those don't even supports WPA2

And on a side note: If you order the ultra-speedy 150Mbps package from FiOS, they send you the Revision G, which has dual-antenna Wireless N and Gigabit, but you can also find them on eBay if you get lucky like I did

They look like this:
https://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1559744~4cce9ed25e33647d2aa8190bec385fa5/Picture%20002.jpg
https://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1559746.thumb600~ce64edceed2ea055b37bb88d1dc0d6e8/Picture%20010.jpg/thumb.jpg

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-01-18 10:33:53)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6747|Toronto | Canada

wait... why not get a real wireless router?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

That's a wireless router/cable modem combo...why get a cable modem and router when you can get an all-in-one solution?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6747|Toronto | Canada

quite a few reasons
a) ive never seen one work near as well as an external router
b) you can install tomato/dd-wrt/etc on other routers
c) if you want to upgrade you dont have to go through an ISP
d) limited in choice and likely slow to upgrade - what if i wanted triple channel wireless, or 802.11ac?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
This way you can keep using the FiOS ones and not have to have extra crap like another wireless router or whatever.  The way FiOS does it, the modem and router are integrated, you can still bridge to a better router for local connections but this keeps everything centralized if you just get the updated version of the one they give you

If you get them to turn on the ethernet connection from the ONT box, you can use whatever router you want but you'll still have to keep the router they give you hooked up to the coax in order to keep using the TV guide.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD

Winston_Churchill wrote:

d) limited in choice and likely slow to upgrade - what if i wanted triple channel wireless, or 802.11ac?
Well, you don't have to go through the ISP to upgrade these, in fact that's usually the worst way to do it, you're better off just getting these used or surplussed off eBay

And yeah that's one of the unfortunate limitations but as of the G revision, the only thing mainstream router feature they're really missing is dual-band support and enabling more uses for the two USB ports.  But I admit, it'll be hard as hell to get one of those even once they're out, I was really lucky to find a guy that had 5 brand new Rev Gs on eBay and was selling them for $70

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-01-18 10:47:27)

jsnipy
+3,276|6530|...

they are worth it just to use a Moca connection (use the coax in your house to extend your network without slow wireless)
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Winston_Churchill wrote:

quite a few reasons
b) you can install tomato/dd-wrt/etc on other routers
a) isn't really a valid concern
b) for sure that is a drawback
c) and d) you still wouldn't have to go through an ISP for an upgrade - he's not going through an ISP to buy this unit, and there's always the ability to buy a router as a standalone instead of using the all-in-one unit if you want to upgrade your wireless connection
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

And what jsnipy said. Although I think we'll be seeing much cheaper MoCa adapters here in the next year
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think we'll be seeing much cheaper MoCa adapters here in the next year
What makes you say that?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Well some cable providers have been looking at a price point of ~$35-$40. Whether or not they can get it remains to be seen, but if there is enough interest, prices will go down
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well some cable providers have been looking at a price point of ~$35-$40. Whether or not they can get it remains to be seen, but if there is enough interest, prices will go down
What brought on the change though, it seems like it's universally good thing but they waited or something.  This is all new information to me
jaymz9350
+54|6585

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

quite a few reasons
a) isn't really a valid concern
In my opinion that would be the MAIN concern.
Overdose
+13|6122|Fort Worth, TX
You can replace the actiontec router, but you have to have a cat5e cable running from the ONT to your new router

instructions here:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
Even after you do that, you still have to have the Actiontec hooked up to the coax because it also does the TV guide decoding or something like that and the guide won't display anything without it.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

comcast will let you divide your network. when you go to authenticate your second modem, escalate the call immediately - when the stooge answers the phone, ask to talk to his supervisor. tell him that you have an actiontec for phone, and a motorola surfboard/whatever for data.
in my experience, segregating TV from data makes the data half of the network more consistent.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Anybody looking for a FiOS coax/ethernet router that does Wireless N

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard