NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6353|Atlanta, Georgia
Would weightlifting itself burn belly fat or would I need to add cardio into my routine? I know too much cardio is bad for gaining muscle, up to 3x a week 70% heart rate for 30-45 minutes is almost tops. Right now after everyday i work out i go about 20 min on the bike. Good Idea?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6335|New Haven, CT
Caloric deficit burns fat, you attain that by eating less than you need (though intelligently choosing the nutrients to not lose muscle, and exercising to increase caloric need. (Basically in - out should be negative, and exercising increase outflow.) I believe HIIT is more effective for burning calories than constant low intensity cardio, though the latter is more effective at building endurance.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5495|Bolingbrook, Illinois

NeXuS wrote:

Would weightlifting itself burn belly fat or would I need to add cardio into my routine? I know too much cardio is bad for gaining muscle, up to 3x a week 70% heart rate for 30-45 minutes is almost tops. Right now after everyday i work out i go about 20 min on the bike. Good Idea?
if you want to lose weight without caring about how much muscle you lose: you don't need to exercise, just consume less calories than you burn
if you want to lose fat specifically: weightlight while consuming less calories than you burn

also, you're belly fat may not be the first thing to go.  the first place you lose fat is the fat that you're body accumulated the shortest time ago.  if the last place you gained fat was your belly, then when you burn fat, you'll lose belly fat.  but this could be true with your arms and legs as well.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5189|Sydney

NeXuS wrote:

Weightlifting by itself doesn't burn many calories, diet is the biggest part of this puzzle. If you're wanting to lose fat (which is what people really mean when they say they want to lose weight) combining a caloric deficit with weight lifting will increase the ratio of fat:muscle loss significantly.

From what I understand, if you were to say lose a kilo/couple pounds of weight without weight lifting, a lot of the weight lost (maybe up to half the, not really sure) will be muscle loss along with fat, water and glycogen. If you have a solid diet plan coupled with the proper diet you can minimise this muscle loss right down to nothing, whilst still losing the same amount of weight, which will in turn be ONLY fat/water/glycogen.

So in a nutshell you need both to get the results you want, unless you really don't care about any muscle loss. But if your diet sucks you might lose the weight and still have that "skinny fat" look some people have - slim figure but flabby looking.

The reason why people looking to pack on muscle don't like cardio is because it creates catabolism - body breaking down protein (ie. muscle) for energy. You need to do a lot of cardio for this to be a concern though, unless you're a paranoid body builder
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6471|UK
If you put on muscle you will burn more muscle at rest. I think it's probably best to mix it up maybe 2 days weights 2 days cardio?

http://uk.askmen.com/sports/bodybuildin … -loss.html

Nice little article for you. Try and build yourself a nice little routine. Good luck and don't give up!

Last edited by wah1188 (2012-02-23 06:18:11)

Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney

wah1188 wrote:

If you put on muscle you will burn more muscle at rest.
True, but the amount is so tiny it's not worth thinking about. In fact you'll probably burn more calories thinking about it.

How Many Calories Does Muscle REALLY Burn?

To get to the root of the problem, you need to understand how many calories muscle actually burns. Depending on where you get your diet and fitness information from, you may come across the suggestion that 1 pound of muscle burns as much as 25, or 50, or even 100 additional calories per day.

If this were true, then building 5lbs of muscle would lead to as much as 500 extra calories being burned by your body per day, and this would indeed be a huge increase to your metabolism that would indeed have a significant positive effect on your ability to burn fat.

Unfortunately, muscle doesn’t burn anywhere near that amount of calories.

Instead, based on all the research I’ve seen, the actual numbers are more like this…

One pound of muscle burns approximately 5-6 calories per day at rest.

Wow… 5 or 6 whole calories?!?! I can feel my metabolism increasing as we speak!

This would mean that building 5lbs of muscle would lead to you burning an additional 25-30 calories per day. Building 10lbs of muscle would lead to a whopping 50-60 extra calories burned per day. You’d have to build the maximum amount of muscle that your body is capable of building in your entire lifetime before the amount of calories it burns gets even close to the crazy “significant” levels people incorrectly assume.

And in case you’re wondering, 1 pound of fat burns about 2 calories at rest. So yeah, muscle does burn more calories than fat… but not exactly enough for it to truly matter in the end. I mean, if you lost 5lbs of fat and gained 5lbs of muscle, your metabolism would increase by a whole 15-20 calories per day.
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/does-bui … -burn-fat/
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney

NeXuS wrote:

Also, read this: How To Lose Fat – The TRUTH About Fat Loss
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Thanks for the tips guy. I hope to look back at this thread in 6-7 months and see what really did the trick.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6302|Washington St.

pirana6 wrote:

creatine came today. i'm still not sold on it but hey, i guess that's why im trying it out right?

Me and my friend split a tub so we're gonna compare what the effect was to each of us. Starting loading phase now... Ill get back to y'all.
Well I wrote this almost a year ago and I figured I should follow up...

Ah creatine! Such a crazy little substance! ...Actually I'm really just going to confirm what everyone else has said:

Cons first: I'm fairly certain most of the gains I saw while on it was water-weight. It was nice to see me get a bit bulkier but I shed that bulk when I was off it. This might be just the placebo effect as it was what I was thinking would happen so I might have wanted to see it. The gains weren't tremendous as well; some, but not scrawny-to-bodybuilder-in-a-day type thing.

Pros: This may be the placebo thing going on again but I swear it helped me push way harder while actually lifting. The first time I lifted after I started the loading phase I killed. I can't remember what I was working at the time but I had it down to the point I was failing at the very end of my 3rd set (3x10). This time I finished my 3rd set, then a 4th at the same weight, then a 5th after adding some weight, then a 6th, then a 7th after adding more weight... I finally failed my muscles and just walked away in awe at myself the creatine.
Also, of course, you look bulkier while on it. (Just stay on it forever?!?! MWUAHAHAHA!) (pro tip: don't stay on it forever).

I'd recommend those who are curious to give it a try. If you see a phase coming up of a month or two that you're going to go super hard and need some more help in the gym then I'd certainly buy a bit, load, maintain, then go off. Just make sure to drink lots of water.
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney

NeXuS wrote:

Thanks for the tips guy. I hope to look back at this thread in 6-7 months and see what really did the trick.
No worries. Check these links out for some great, no bullshit info:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/
http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/

I really like that guy. Emailed him a lot and he always gets back to you within a day or so, sometimes within an hour. He's selling his eBooks about a bunch of workout routines but doesn't ever mention it in his emails, and I feel like buying them just cause he's really good about it all. It's basically free advice on demand.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6549|Long Island, New York
So I've been working upper body a lot... still not really much strength there but it's slowly building. Been able to max out each time I've gone.

How many days a week do you guys work chest/arms?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6302|Washington St.

I've heard some say 1 only. I've heard some say 3 (if you don't go crazy on your workouts).

It's my belief that you should stick to 2 a week for the first 6 months to a year then go to 1 a week. I do upper body (excluding back... don't get me started on why I do that separate) on monday and thursday.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6323

A little bit every time I go to the gym (3-4 times a week/every other day)
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney
Don't do splits unless you've been working out consistently for a while. Your body hasn't developed enough nor has it got amazing recovery abilities to smash it really hard every workout.

You're better off doing a full body workout three times a week. You'll see better gains.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6335|New Haven, CT
Did bench and deadlift today; bench was 6, 6, 5, 5 at 175, and deadlift was 4, 4, 2, 4, 2 at 275 (grip was giving out on the third set).
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6820|Marathon, Florida Keys
495 deadlift almost shit my pants
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Well Im out of weigtlifting for a moment. I've got a torn muscle in my back (Not from lifting) so i gotta sit around for awhile and wait for it to heal

Btw this is the workout im going with. Ive got a friend who's already been doing it so ive got someone to push me.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou … split.html
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6302|Washington St.
5 day split!
ballsy.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6471|UK
5 Days a week damn! You should ease yourself into it don't overload yourself too much as soon as you get back.

Why does everyone want to bulk at the gym even fat cunts. Great you've lifted loads of weight you just look like even more a of a fat cunt!
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney
Had a week off coz I was interstate and I don't seem to have lost much/any strength
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney

NeXuS wrote:

Well Im out of weigtlifting for a moment. I've got a torn muscle in my back (Not from lifting) so i gotta sit around for awhile and wait for it to heal

Btw this is the workout im going with. Ive got a friend who's already been doing it so ive got someone to push me.

I'm assuming you've been working out for a long time to do a five day split. If you haven't your body won't be able to recover quick enough and you'll overtrain.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Jaekus wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

I'm assuming you've been working out for a long time to do a five day split. If you haven't your body won't be able to recover quick enough and you'll overtrain.
We'll that first two weeks i started I didn't have a problem, I never usually stay overely sore for too long. I may not weight lift a lot but I am definitely not new to reaching muscle failure and being sore. So in that sense it's nothing new. Me and my buddy are actually looking for a new schedule to kinda go along. I'd rather do a 5 day split, i have too much free time. Could you guys offer any links to some training that you may do?
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney
I reckon reading this first and then if you're still set on the idea, cool.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/rest-rec … rtraining/
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6302|Washington St.
2 weeks ago i was lifting and noticing a bit of pain in my muscles instead of the usual soreness (and eventual weakness at the end of the workout) so I took last week off.
Went today and specifically my right tricep was super weak. I had to lower all my chest/tricep exercises because of that muscle alone.

WUT.

musta beat off too much on my week off
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Jaekus wrote:

I reckon reading this first and then if you're still set on the idea, cool.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/rest-rec … rtraining/
I read every bit of it. I might even change up the workout routine to the 3 day routine like this.

Monday: Full Body Workout
        Tuesday: off
        Wednesday: Full Body Workout
        Thursday: off
        Friday: Full Body Workout
        Saturday: off
        Sunday: off

This is what I was doing

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard