Hicks
+0|6786|Rolling Hills of England
Ok, Ive had a quick look around the forums and haven't found anything like this exactly (well not the answer anyway) so I reckon I'm safe to post a new thread.

I can fly a plane reasonably well - not great - but pretty well. Generally I have no problems (apart from that hovering thing - how do you do that?!?! - answers on a postcard please!)

But choppers - I just cannot fly them.  For some reason I just end up yawing from side to side, in the end just rolling over. I can't get the chopper to stay steady, even when the sensitivity is low. Hovering is just a mystery to me completly! Anyone who can do that now gets extra koudos in my eyes.

I'm just looking for any tips - am I doing something wrong? What about the yaw and pitch factors settings in the control's - would they help (both are currently on 1)?

Many thanks in advance. I love you people
cohen1976
+14|6769
i cant fly helo with joystick but perfectly with key board. its very simple.
i started doing practice by making my own game then just practice
just try to hang stil then move sideway's forward or backward. when trying to shoot something on the ground make sure the target is almost same level as u are. going to far forward with the nose makes u crash in the ground or in a building. always try to keep as low as possible use buildings and mountains as cover.
always try to think about ur gunner!! when there is an armored target get the nose in the same direction to let him (the gunner) shoot of the tv missle.
at enemy flags try to make sure noone can sneak up your back to nail u down then hang stil and let the gunner do the work.
very important against AA or other helo's is imo ALWAYS GIVE THE GUNNER A CHANCE FIRST TO GET THAT 1 SHOT 1 KILL TV MISSLE IN. alot of pilots just fly on to it very hasty and crash in the ground and me as gunner never got a chance to shoot it. when sneaking up an enemy like an enemy helo ALWAYS let the gunner do the first shot with the TV missle ALWAYS use the misle first on armored targets if he misses then use your missles.
when the buzzer sounds (someone has u as a target) try to fly of lower or hide behind something. dont hang to stil on 1 spot and when the buzzer rings just move of and get back a view seconds later.
i always hate the pilots who go for flags.... i mean ur a stiting duck and wil get shot most of the times. its a fighting chopper not a transport chopper.
it just takes many hours for someone to get perfect control but even then u tend to fly and forget there was a tree behind u...

my english is not the best but i hope u can learn something from this

oh ps 1 last thing i never changed any of the controls btw... GL

Last edited by cohen1976 (2005-10-28 06:11:20)

Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6783|The Hague, Holland
Its all about leveling your artifical horizon
Hicks
+0|6786|Rolling Hills of England
Cheers guys, thats great. I hadn't even thought of the keyboard thing - maybe a combination of both would help too?

I'll give it crack now and see how it goes. Like you I just messing around on a singleplayer with the helo before I go ruin a real multiplayer game P
Turtle
+7|6758|Boulder, CO
I use mouse/keyboard in a helo as well and a joystick for jets. The key to choppers is knowing your roll. Momentum is a factor when you're trying to plug ground targets, esp. when you can't get a gunner. While it is a good idea to stay low you don't want to stay so low that can't tip your nose forward to hit a target, staying too low also makes you easy pickins for anti-tank missiles. Practicing hovering is a good idea, it's really not hard, just level up your horizon and tap back to keep yourself at a steady height. Eventually you'll get the feel for it and be able to spin yourself around on your tail by pushing yourself in the opposite direction you're turning with your mouse. This is especially helpful in heli on heli combat as alot of the time you'll end up cutting in a half circle and get a free shot at the side of an inexperienced pilot's chopper, if you know how to aim this will usually mean instant death.
Also, a side not for gunners... CHANGE VIEWS, all too often I get a gunner that doesn't know you can see through the floor of the heli and hit targets at a steep angle with the mg. Usually if your pilot swoops in on a position then goes into hover it means he sees a unit he wants you to shoot, pls open your eyes.
Klymax
+0|6757
I find it easier to use the K&M when flying a chopper and using a joystick when flying an air craft. To hover in a chopper the horizontal line in the middle should be horizontally flat and square. Dont press any buttons unless you start to drift or fall downward. In only one aircraft can you hover in, i believe its the USMC F-15, just hold S and you hover.
Guruz
Sir
+20|6839|government yard in trenchtown.

Klymax wrote:

I find it easier to use the K&M when flying a chopper and using a joystick when flying an air craft. To hover in a chopper the horizontal line in the middle should be horizontally flat and square. Dont press any buttons unless you start to drift or fall downward. In only one aircraft can you hover in, i believe its the USMC F-15, just hold S and you hover.
F-35B. Only available at aircraft carriers by the way.
----
I once tried using my stick to fly a helo -> NO WAY, MAN! What a waste of time, you can easily fly it with K&M.

And yes - think about the gunners! I'll always jump out if you start wasting your missiles to a boat/jeep/infantry.
cohen1976
+14|6769

Turtle wrote:

Also, a side not for gunners... CHANGE VIEWS.
thats a good 1 i forgot press "C" first thing i do it both as pilot and as gunner
Buzerk1
+44|6837
I'm using both...

Keyboard for throttling and flares... the rest on joystick
srog72
+12|6757|Michigan
I use a Logitech Dual Action Gamepad.  To hover with it, you simply do nothing.  I configure it the same as for Desert Combat.  I am better with Jet although i can do flips and loops in all Helicopters.

https://bf2s.com/player/44669446/sig.png
    https://bf2s.com/player/44669446/sig5.png
    https://bf2s.com/player/44669446/sig3.png
    https://bf2s.com/player/44669446/awards.jpg
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6759|Brixham, UK
Anyone got some tips for landing? Every time I try I just explode.
cohen1976
+14|6769

DUFFKING wrote:

Anyone got some tips for landing? Every time I try I just explode.
practice practice practice

just keep the helo straight and pres down so u decent.
al i can say is practice practice practice
u have to get the feeling for your self i gues..... go make an own solo game or own server and practice alot
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6757
I only fly transport helos normaly.  But thier is little to flying, but a lot to flying well.

I cannot stress getting a joystick with rudder and throttal controll enugh.  Although this can be done with a keyboard, most people with a bit of practice can fly better with a stick.  Since you have instantly the ability to slightly inch arround a building for a gunner, then dodge and RPG.

For basic flight, just you your HUD.  Watch the artifical horizion closly when near the ground.  Learn what ammount of power each chopper takes to hover.  For example the black hawk will slowly sink at 20.  Get used to overcorrecting ALOT.

For you plane pilots out thier, keep in mind the physics for operating a helicopter are 100% differnt.  In a jet your ability to stay in the air is due to your wings, and the air going underaand arround them.  all thrust beeing from the rear pushing forward.  Using flaps the wings use the push of the air to change direction.

In a helo that is totaly off.  Helos have 2 main source of thrust, the main rotar, centered in the body of the helo.  Which is a pure downward force.  Then a secondary tail thrust, that in real life would counter balance the twist generated by the main rotar, in a varable degree so as to act as a rudder.  But in this game gives rise to your rudder only.

Why is knowing that important?  It will give you an idea how to handle the machine.  For example, when you are locked in a jet you have basicly 3 options. 
Full balls to the wall speed to outrun the tracking hopfully before a shot can get off. 
Erratic manuvers to try and make any projectils miss.
flairs to make heat guided missles miss.

In a helo you have differnt options.
you have the same options (although trying to outrun them only works due to the fact 1-2 missle will likly not kill a helo at full health. Transort helos with an engieer in them eslecialy.)
Yet you have a new one.  Masking, which basicly means taking cover.  You can cut power to drop to a low altitude, using buildings, hills, perhaps even trees of fences as cover.

The 2nd part about understanding helo physics over plane is in one of the skills I mentioned.  overcomponsating.  in order to move forward, you must change the thrust that is keeping the helo in the air, to moving it.  Wich naturaly causes you then to loose altitude unless you either increase power, or level out again.  Either way, since your thrust is the only thing keeping airborn is the direction of your thrust, balancing tilt vs thrust is near impossible to do perfectly.  What you want to get is the basics of it down, and work on quickly correcting what goes wrong.
For example.

As soon as you get in the helo, you push the power to 100%.  Start rising.  Now, as soon as you tilt forward, you will start slowing your ascent, and moving forward.  If you are going to slow, you push forward further, although now find yourself looking at the ground, but moving forward bloodly well fast enugh.  once again, you need to pull back on the stick, and level out till you at least stop loosing altiude.  finding and angle you like for the speed, yet now you are gaining alitide again.  So you cut back on the throttal, which . . . so forth and so on.  Every action will have a varity of reactions.

Keep in mide of course and object in motion stays in motion.

When you are moving forward at 400kph leveling out and adjusting your throttal so you are not gaing or loosing alitiude will not stop you.  You will slow and eventualy stop.  You can of course revese the direction of your thrust to stop.

The only way to get used to this is either a good understanding of physics and force, or practice.  Once you can fly in any direction (forward, backward, diagonal ect) and then stop, get used to hovering.  Once you can hover get used to landing.  Try landing quickly, and softly, for a varity of directions.  (for the post above, tips on landing. . . watch your HUD more than the land.  if you can see land well, you are going to land on your nose.  try to keep the bird fully level, then slowly decrease the throttle. . . or from altiude, quickly decrease, then when you get lower, increase and slowly decrease again.  Level the copper out always before it touches down.)

Once that is done, mix them togeather a bit.  Try flying a bit forward and to the right, coming to a stop 10m off the ground, then moving hard to the right, and landing quickly.

Once you have that done, now you are ready to work on masking.  It will use all of what you just practiced.

Load up a map with a helo and preferably a city.  64 gulf or somthing similar (to bad most decent helo practice maps are multiplayer only.  but you can practice on an empty server).
Grapb your chopper of choice, and preactice the above skills between buildings.  Please note, going between buildings is mainly for preactice, thier is often little other reason to do this.
Fly arround a few places and try to find unsusal spots you can hide your helo behind.

Now with a decent grasp of how to fly, land and mask you can try flying in multiplayer.

Attack hellos should use masking before an attack.  Try to get into a decent spot, pop up and lay down some death.  Remember, your gunners view is a bit below yours, about 20 degrees or so.
Also, you would want to keep moving to make yourself harder to hit with anti tank rockets.  Yet try to line up decent shots for TV guided missles aginst armor or other such tough enemies.

Transports
Well masking may help before you attack, but not near as much,  Personaly as a helo pilot I was much in favor of the recent changes, except taking the capture bonus away from gunners.  The rest of the sure, not speeding the flag, great.  Not getting points for what you are vital in helping with sucks.  Yet you can of course either drop off people fully, by hovering or landing (I recomend a low hover, that people could easly either look up and get into, or jump and get into your chopper again).  Or if you have VOIP and a good squad, you can drop off all but your gunners, then provide cover or hide safly near by.  Come back and pick them up again.
Transports are more of a squad vehicle.  Try to be a squad leader if you are flying one.  Preferably a medic or resupply.  This allows you to have an extreamly moble spawn point.
Remember your gunners can only fire to the sides, and depending on your team, you may have some small arm rear fire.

As a medic your chopper personell are more likly to live, as they do take shots.  IF you are primarly doing drop offs for your squad, this may be best so they can come in at full heath or close each time.

As a resupply your squad has endless ammo.  If you are using the transport as a gunship, this is your route.  You can have arround 3 people fireing what ever they would have on foot at your enemy as well.  Noob toobs, and grenades can be especialy effective here . . . also a good spec ops with some C4 can truly wreak havok.

IMO attack helos are nice for the badges, ribons and overall blowing things up.  But tansports are much more difficult to use effectivly, thier for much more rewarding when you do dominate with them.

Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head.  Hope it makes sence

Last edited by Umbra Acciptris (2005-10-29 04:01:53)

JimmyNoobtron
+-2|6775|Dallas, Tx
Thanks, Umbra.  Nice and clear tips.  I am still in the early stages of HELLicopter flying.  Sucking bigtime, but slowly learning.
anders1989000
+0|6761|Norway
its much easier to fly chopter and fly with invert mouse...
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6834
I'm not good at explaining how to hover and crap...  but just to give you more Ideas of what you may want to try to use for flying.. I started with the keyboard.. using the directional arrows to direct myself. then I started using my joystick. this is how I use it.. joystick for the actual flying. shooting, moving, flares, views(I use flyby and cockpit) and I use the keyboard for throttle. I have a habit of using my keyboard for my rutter... so sometimes I get screwed up and accidentally hit rutter left on the keyboard while I'm trying to use rutter to the right on my joystick(Igotta disable my keyboard for rutter controls ) so yeah. it's keys and joystick for me.
Joystick is the best in my opinion. you have more control, it's more responsive than the mouse or keyboard. and you can do more fancy tricks. ex. rutter right + roll right + pull buck. ( I use that to dodge TV missles) but if you were using a keyboard you couldn't do that. as most know.. if you push and hold more than two buttons at one time it'll make that godawful beeping noise. and with a mouse you'd have to drag the mouse over and over while hitting rutter with the keys... just too much to do at one time. Joystick ftw.
oasis
+0|6775
Well i agree with the people that say pratice pratice pratice coz its true.

Thats what I did, and now I helos with the F10 view.

And now with attack helos, i can concentrate on killing enemies and not worry about leveling myself so that I dun crash coz its all quite simple to me now....

just pratice, at first when i started the helo would go boom 5 metres away from the carrier and the other 5 ppl inside would go: "WTF WAS THAT?!"

So just keep playing man.... Its been a month now roughly and yeah, just keep going!
Tcx_1
+3|6742|Alberta, Canada
Is it possible to change the color of the hud in the heli?
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838
is his Pitch or roll Inverted ?? that f@#$% me up for a while
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6838

oasis wrote:

Thats what I did, and now I helos with the F10 view.

And now with attack helos, i can concentrate on killing enemies and not worry about leveling myself so that I dun crash coz its all quite simple to me now....

just pratice, at first when i started the helo would go boom 5 metres away from the carrier and the other 5 ppl inside would go: "WTF WAS THAT?!"

So just keep playing man.... Its been a month now roughly and yeah, just keep going!

!

Ever think of pratice on an Empty sever or single player. i think i hopped sum rides with this guy, love it when they type " LOL "

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard