RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
i never heard of this blurring until now
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

For me floaters. Those annoy me to no end.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
i get floaters when i physically exert myself because a rifle blew up in my face in the only job i ever really wanted to do, sigh.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
why did you leave jord?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6563

FatherTed wrote:

why did you leave jord?
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6614|Little Bentcock
I find that if I read right after waking up, my vision will be blurry for hours. I think thats due to my eyes not having to focus as they wake up on a variety of distances
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Superior Mind wrote:

My vision starts to blur after like 45-60 minutes of reading. But I figure that's normal. I expect my vision to worsen with age as it happens to most people.
Last I was checked (less than a year ago), I had 20/10.. and I'm 36. Everyone else in my family isn't even 20/20 though. Which is weird since I really thought vision was genetic.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6315|Graz, Austria

Macbeth wrote:

For me floaters. Those annoy me to no end.
Ah, fuck.
You can't imagine how annoying those are in microscopy.

When they are larger in your field of vision than the magnified object you're looking at.
I have to roll my eyes frequently to move them out of the way.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6731

Kmar wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

My vision starts to blur after like 45-60 minutes of reading. But I figure that's normal. I expect my vision to worsen with age as it happens to most people.
Last I was checked (less than a year ago), I had 20/10.. and I'm 36. Everyone else in my family isn't even 20/20 though. Which is weird since I really thought vision was genetic.
Both me and my partner wear glasses but our son doesn't it can skip generations.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6665|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Yesterday I bought a book.  Perhaps one of the most important books ever, and the most important book I will ever read (again).

Dr Allan Carr - How to stop smoking

Not sure when I will start reading it though
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

The best book for beating an addiction is the Bible. Pray to God and he'll help you through it.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6665|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I disagree, I think its ,Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Green grocer, Window Cleaner etc
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Kmar wrote:

Jay wrote:

Kmar wrote:

lol.. I'm on book 2. I'm surprised at how popular it is now. My girl liked it so i picked it up. The other night my sister told me she was reading it. She finished the first book in one day.
Yeah, my girl finished the first book in 24 hours.

There has to be some underground female network telling them what pop fiction to read if they're all picking it up at once Maybe it's like menstrual synching.
Well, there is an apparent love triangle in there. But I'm more interested in the post-apocalyptic dystopian society that forces it's tributes to kill or be killed in the arena.

I'm reading the pdf on my computer and I can only read a couple hours before my eyes start to burn (Kindle is broke). I may steal the second book from my sis now that she's done with it.
Sounds like the Japanese book Battle Royale.
Battle Royale takes place in an alternate timeline—Japan is a member region of a totalitarian state known as the Republic of Greater East Asia. Under the guise of a "study trip", a group of students from Shiroiwa Junior High Schoo in the fictional town of Shiroiwa are gassed on a bus. They awaken in the Okishima Island School on Okishima, an isolated, evacuated island southwest of Shodoshima, also in Kagawa Prefecture. They learn that they have been placed in an event called the Program. Officially a military research project, it is a means of terrorizing the population, of creating such paranoia as to make organized insurgency impossible.

The Program began in 1947. According to the rules fifty third-year high school classes are selected (prior to 1950, forty-seven classes were selected) annually to participate in the Program for research purposes. The students from a single class are isolated and are required to fight the other members from their class to the death. The Program ends when only one student remains, with that student being declared the winner. Their movements are tracked by metal collars, later identified as Model Guadalcanal No. 22, which contain tracking and listening devices; if any student should attempt to escape the Program, or enter declared forbidden zones, a bomb will be detonated in the collar, killing the wearer. If no one dies in a 24 hour time period, there will be no winner and all collars will be detonated simultaneously.
At least the whole children forced to fight to the death thing. I never read Hunger Games but it sounds pretty similar.

That's really the first thing I thought of when I heard the plot of Hunger Games. From checking a few message boards here and there it seems it's a pretty popular connection..

I haven't read Hunger Games so I'm sure it is different and I'm not accusing it of being a ripoff but the trailer of the movie and the plot outline is very similar. It makes it look like the American version of Battle Royale.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-03-14 14:00:44)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Both movies are probably really bad representations of their books
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5500|America
Reading the new James Bond book, Carte Blanch. Sure kept my attention so far, and that's saying something. Seen / read almost all the Bond's won't stop now lol.

https://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/Blade4509/CarteBlanche_US.jpg
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Thinking of starting The Wheel of Time series.

Worth it?

I'll either read that, The Dark Tower series or The First Law series.

I want a long series of sci/fantasy. Having read the "Enderverse" and Foundation saga again recently, I really enjoy long reads.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
Wheel of time is an addictive series if your into fantasy. I generally re-read the whole series each time a new book was released. Havent picked it up in about ten years though.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6319|Australia

AussieReaper wrote:

Worth it?

I want a long series of sci/fantasy. Having read the "Enderverse" and Foundation saga again recently, I really enjoy long reads.
I think it's worth it, especially since the last book (#14!) is finally being released at the beginning of next year. Things slow down in the middle books a bit and the number of characters greatly increases so it can be a bit tricky to keep track of all that's going on, but its worth it for the final books when everything starts to come together. DT is great too, though it does tend to get a bit.....weird, especially in the later books.
For other series: the Deathgate Cycle is worth a read, just finished it myself. Also, the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson is set to become a massive, 10 book epic. That said, only a single book has been written in it so far, so if you want to have something to read in the 2020s, give it a look.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

Worth it?

WoT is loooooong. Author died before final two books, finished by someone else.

Dark Tower is also very long, and the second half drags. I liked it through Wizard and the Glass, finished it just to finish it.

I liked the Sword of Truth series more than WoT.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-22 13:32:12)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLmsOa2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuRjqcpuGQ

I was listening to people talking about Hunger Games on NPR today. A critic was complaining that it probably followed the book (that he hadn't read) too closely. His deal was that he's irritated that people who make a movie out of a book would strive to please the readers by staying as true to the story as possible while making it a manageable screenplay. o.O

I'll probably see it at the theaters...I dunno. If I ever read the book, it'll probably be after I see the film. Movies are spoiled more easily than books, in my opinion.

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Worth it?

Dark Tower is also very long, and the second half drags. I liked it through Wizard and the Glass, finished it just to finish it.

Agreed. Might as well add Discworld and Xanth to your list of series to read.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLmsOa2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuRjqcpuGQ

I was listening to people talking about Hunger Games on NPR today. A critic was complaining that it probably followed the book (that he hadn't read) too closely. His deal was that he's irritated that people who make a movie out of a book would strive to please the readers by staying as true to the story as possible while making it a manageable screenplay. o.O

I'll probably see it at the theaters...I dunno. If I ever read the book, it'll probably be after I see the film. Movies are spoiled more easily than books, in my opinion.

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Worth it?

Agreed. Might as well add Discworld and Xanth to your list of series to read.
Or the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, or the Belgarath books by David Eddings...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Already read Discworld's novels.

And each of the Belgarion series.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
the DT series is good.  tapers off towards the end but the journey is a shit ton of fun and Roland is a hell of a character to follow.  Have you read The Stand?  it's one book but it's 1400+ pages.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Reciprocity wrote:

the DT series is good.  tapers off towards the end but the journey is a shit ton of fun and Roland is a hell of a character to follow.  Have you read The Stand?  it's one book but it's 1400+ pages.
The Gunslinger and Wizard were the only two i remember really liking. The end of the series was really the only possible outcome, but it still made me mad :p
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard