kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX

HG_TheTank wrote:

From what I have heard the verification times should be fixed in the next patch.
May I ask where you have gotten your information from? If a website please post the link here.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
HG_TheTank
+2|6763
My boss knows someone at EA.

@Loadtimes:
I am using the suggestion where you unpack some of the zip files and my validation times are about 1 minute in MP. Since the validation times in SP are close to zero I do not think it has anything to do with the HDD. Maybe the server and client need to exchange data and that might take time.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
i actually jsut cleared my hard drive inculding bf2. when i install it again i'll check to see if there are any changes from my 6min verify times
HG_TheTank
+2|6763
@<eN>Madcat:
First try it on a fresh install, then try the unpacking trick please.
please also note the times.
thanks
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
welll this is what i was thinking... install, try to find old 1.0 mp server, see times.  then if all goes well, patch it and see times, then unpack.

Last edited by <eN>Madcat (2005-10-25 09:18:56)

HG_TheTank
+2|6763
Beware though.
When I had first installed bf2 I had started the game and then remembered that I needed the patch.
Unfortunetly the patch did not want to be installed so I wound up uninstalling and reinstalling.

Install, patch to 1.03 then join a server and measure time.
Then do the unpacking thing and join again.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
alright, seriously where the fuck is snowman
Sn0wMan
Spray 'n Pray
+1|6838
Alrighty, I'll fix it up today.... yeesh

I have college, job, ROTC.... give me a break.

Last edited by Sn0wMan (2005-10-26 13:33:36)

strombringer
+0|6842|Gensingen [GER]
I think as well, that it's (at least part) about how filled your HDD is.

Bought new computer, installed BF2 as first game on the otherwise empty partition D:, Verifying times: almost none.
Now a few weeks after I bought it, my 200 GB partition has only 25 GB left of free space, BF2 verifying times => through the roof... 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

BUT it got even slower after the recent patch (1.03)... (either because of even less space on HDD, or crappy patch )

So, I'm waiting for your report to confirm this, <eN>Madcat
AndrewPoison
T5 gemustert
+2|6822|Germany
well, i experienced a bit _longer_ load times after doin' the unpacking thing.
Lazarus Tag'lim
Have Wrench, Will Travel
+1|6778|Alabama Coast, USA
Um...  More cowbell!!!

On a related note (won't say how), when I played SWG for a while, I let a guild-mate Image Designer screw around with my appearance, and she got the eyes a certain way, and I said, "Stop!  Now give me some funky tall hair.. think Cramer from Seinfeld, and make it greyish".  I was Christopher Walken.  Everyone else agreed... we don't know why, but CW is the shit.

So the consensus is, so far...  RAM to the max, HDD read speed to the max, make a seperate partition for *only* BF2 if you can.  The last one is pretty silly, though...  if they're going to scan any HDD for potentially mischievous files, they need to scan all removable media.

And to the guy who suggested they do away with it all together: if people didn't hack games to be uber in MP online mode, there'd be no reason for it in the first place.  I'd rather wait a bit for verification than be victim to some of the tricks one could pull if nothing were monitored.  Consider all enemy vehicles/players being textured bright red...  friendly bright blue.  No fog in foggy maps.  A mod which calculates bullet drop for distance, leading for speed, and paints a red bullseye on where to aim for a headshot...  or just does it all automatically if your're aiming close, aimbot fashion.  How about full-map persistant UAV, or semi-transparent buildings so they can see you trying to sneak up on them around the corner.  These are the types of things they're trying to sniff out.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6753|NH - USA
My quick injection (without thoroughly reading every post or being an expert on the matter).

I think its not only how fast your system is, (and perhaps the connection speed to/from the host) but how high your settings are jacked up in your video options. The higher the settings, the longer it takes to load and verify. I have mine on mostly low/meduim and it only takes 10-15 seconds to verify, I think. I'll have to double check. The more data, the more time. Sound logical, or am I just a newbie without a clue. (Dont answer that)

I guess it does come back to the system stuff but also the settings and how much you are pushing your machine.

Ok, I'll go back into my newbie hole.

P4 2.8 - 1G - 160G hd - x600

Last edited by VirtuaLResistancE (2005-11-01 01:34:48)

<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
holy crap i am lazy, sorry been really been busy lately and i should have my results in about 6 hours, unless my comp was passworded.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

my verify time has changed significantly since about a month ago.  when i first got the game it used to be relatively quick but now its gotten so slow that the main criteria in choosing a server now is to pick one that plays at least 3 rounds with every map...go figure...
GAK-Blaskowitz
+0|6749

strombringer wrote:

I think as well, that it's (at least part) about how filled your HDD is.
After my experience this week, I have to think that this is the biggest factor....I got the "opportunity" to format my disk and reinstall Winblows Monday night.  After I got everything running and recovered yesterday, I installed BF2 back onto my machine (only game currently installed).  The 1.03 patch loaded in about 1/2 the time.  I started the game, and I now have verification times of less than 30 seconds, as opposed to 3-4 minutes before the format.  I think I'm going to partition my disk off and create a logical drive specifically for BF2, and see what happens.

FYI....120GB HDD, was about 1/2 full before format, now has 94+ GB free space....

Last edited by GAK-Blaskowitz (2005-11-02 05:19:54)

vjs
+19|6769
Has anyone ever thought of the obvious here...

The guy is just trying to get your e-mail address, I hate surveys but I did fill this one out without an e-mail.
vjs
+19|6769
Other things he should have asked

memory timing
socket type
scsi
have you defraged lately
network connection type
Antivirus
Firewall
Audio chipset or even if you have an audio card

Just didn't seem like much of an official posting. Also there were no "I don't knows" Plus if EA wanted it could easily get the average load times from server info or their own computers / Beta testers.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
well my email was not harmed in anyway, not spam , nothing........ and thats a little too much info to be put by one guy, we only found out that it could be hard drive space almost on the second page, he did well. except where are the results....... btw mine should be in soon, i just have to test unpack trick
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
*****RESULTS!!!!!RESULTS!!!!!RESULTS*****
Lets Start with my specs....
2.4 GHZ P4
768MB RAM
one 40GB HD with XP and random crap, one 120gb 72000RPM HD partitioned into two HD's both about 55GB each. ONe has lots of music(not mine), other has bf2, music and games.  The partition with bf2 is has 59% free space, others have about the same.
CD copy of BF2
Nvidia FX 5200 VC 256MB

So I deleted alot of games, and freshly installed BF2 along with a few others.
Went into a ranked server.  3:57m to Load, 6:42m to Verify.
Installed 1.03, went into ranked server.  2:41 to Load, 6:42 to Verify.
Did the unpacking trick on Page 2, and formatted all HD's. 3:14 to Load, 5:56 to Verify.

So what have  I learned?
The patch does nothing, so the Verify started out shit in the first place.  The unpacking trick did nothing, in fact i think i made it worse(probably because BF2 goes WTF and just overwrites them).

Questions Answered, Lets move on...... IDEAS?

Last edited by <eN>Madcat (2005-11-06 14:05:18)

kaalikas
+0|6777

<eN>Madcat wrote:

*****RESULTS!!!!!RESULTS!!!!!RESULTS*****
Lets Start with my specs....
2.4 GHZ P4
768MB RAM
/--/
768MB of ram is the culprit here i think...
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
At my local Internet Cafe, they have a 2.0ghz p4 with 1gRAM, and a 6600GT... they's takes seconds, so maybe if i get another 512 stick i'll never see it again? maybe the vidoe card matters too, and they use a server.
Chazflyz
+1|6840
Whether this survey is for real or he just wants email adresses (I didn't give mine), I'll post my experience with load times.

I started playing BF2 with a:

P4 3.0
1 Gig Kingston PC3200
ATI X800XT AiW 256 MB
Audigy 2

1280X1024 res (LCD), all settings max, AA X 2

New map load time from start to finish was 4 minutes, with verifying client data at 3 minutes. 

I upgraded to 2 gigs of OCZ memory in late August:

Total load time of a new map is about 1 minute, with verifying client data at exactly 25 seconds.  I am ALWAYS one of the first people in the map.  That's a huge performance jump.  Plus framerates went up 5fps on average.

Last edited by Chazflyz (2005-11-08 09:53:06)

Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6762
verify is just weird
<eN>Madcat
+2|6839
great, any news, i'm dieing.
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6737|Finland
Well that unpack thing wont help at all... Well maybe little but it's kinda hard to notice differense. When your computer is loading map, it unpack those rars so it maybe can make that loading time shorter. But it looks like game unpack those anyways (because if not, then it shouldn't load anything because those are already unpacket, right?). And when your computer is verifying client data it just verify that just unpacket stuff so that unpacking don't help for that all. And that's also reason why more memory mean quicker loading times. There's damn much stuff to verify so if you have like 512 MB or 1 GB of memory it take some time. 2 GB mean of course faster loading time. And what come to those HDDs with 10k of RPM, of course it make loading time also little faster but that don't help as much as more memory (and those 10k RPM HDDs cost damn much and make also much of noise). Maybe HDDs with 16 MB buffer can make loading times also a little faster, maybe not, but if those make it faster it's not so much faster that you should my new HDD lol. But yeah, if you have HDD with 10k RPM and maybe with 16 MB buffer and at least 2 GB of memory and fast CPU those maps should load just in few seconds But if you have your games installed to some old and slow HDD, you have that 1 GB of RAM or less and your CPU sucks also then there's nothing to to (except to buy new parts of course and maybe that unpack help then a little, but just maybe because in my opinion it unpack those anyways when map is loading).

Last edited by BlueScreen (2005-11-19 13:22:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard