Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
Next couple months it's gonna happen.

They filed for it on the 1st of Feb

result?

if you swept the floors there at one point, you're now a millionaire:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/techn … mp;emc=rss

edito: article url

Last edited by pirana6 (2012-02-02 20:37:30)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Probably the biggest bubble in history. I hope it burns.

One bad PR move and the site loses half its value. Except for the extreme homebodies, I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account that they couldn't just walk away if pushed. It's AOL pt 2.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
we've had bebo, we had myspace, now we have facebook. is it big? yes, but they were big, and arguably they're only so big because more and more people are getting the internet at home, on their mobiles, at their workplace. will it last forever, and are they worth the 100bn thats been touted? doubt it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Jay wrote:

I'm still killing myself for not getting on the Google IPO and just before Microsoft helped Apple, though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They've been shady as shit about the whole business. They let certain companies buy stock before the IPO so they can cash in and make billions. Rich get richer, fuck Zuckerberg.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Jay wrote:

They've been shady as shit about the whole business. They let certain companies buy stock before the IPO so they can cash in and make billions. Rich get richer, fuck Zuckerberg.
Where have you been?  That's standard operating procedure before an IPO.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm still killing myself for not getting on the Google IPO and just before Microsoft helped Apple, though.
Google had no real competition when it launched. Yahoo was already dead and Bing didn't exist. Facebook isn't diverse enough to suffer a PR shock.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

I wish I had money when I was 9 years old (year 2000). I was a huge Apple fanboy and would have bought so much stock just to say I have stock in Apple. Imagine...

also

Facebook prospectus wrote:

For the year ended December 31, 2011, we recorded revenue of $3,711 million, operating income of $1,756 million, and net income of $1,000 million.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-02-02 17:20:52)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Twitter > Facebook IMO.

For me, anyway.

But yeah I'm with Jay on this one. Cannot believe what "experts" are saying about facebook, shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the fluidity of the internet.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So, they have a net revenue of about $4.65 per customer, minus costs. Profit of $1.25 per customer, per year

Last edited by Jay (2012-02-02 17:27:26)

-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
this is the biggest headfuck for me. they make profit of 1b or so? p/a, and people are valuing them at 100bn

like what
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD
i think people are overestimating how big/influential it'll be in the future
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I think they see revenue potential... except if facebook got any 'ad-ier' people would stop using it. Doesn't make any sense to me either. Hope they all lose their shirts when it launches.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Jay wrote:

One bad PR move and the site loses half its value. Except for the extreme homebodies, I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account that they couldn't just walk away if pushed. It's AOL pt 2.
I think the IPO is the start of the eventual implosion. Once FB Inc. has investors they have to pay off or show consistent growth to they will begin to slide off into corporate hell .
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

FatherTed wrote:

this is the biggest headfuck for me. they make profit of 1b or so? p/a, and people are valuing them at 100bn

like what

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-02-02 19:38:18)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Can you explain what the pretty pictures mean?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

I posted that from my phone. I had no idea it was that huge. My bad.

It more or less shows how the current tech trend (which includes facebook) mimics the one that blew up in the early 00's. On the section Internet hotties it shows you some ridiculous numbers regarding some companies including Facebook. For instance Facebook when it was valued at $75 billion gave it the market cap of Goldman Saches. Facebook value was set at more than 37 times the amount of revenue they had. It also shows some other ridiculous values set for other internet companies like Twitter which is set at 55 times it's revenue.

tl;dr Values are seriously inflated.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Jay wrote:

I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account
if you signed up, and posted anything, they can count you as 'a media impression'. that is what is driving the value - eight hundred million + users that "opted in" and a database with your online presence, backed up nightly.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

Jay wrote:

I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account that they couldn't just walk away if pushed.
thats cause youre old.  go to a university and you'll be extremely hard pressed to find somebody without it.  and those who dont have it or try to give it up always come back within weeks.  for high school + university life its basically a requirement to know about events and to keep in touch socially.  youre a weird outcast if you dont have it
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

a lot of people are more attached to facebook than their limbs.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
I wouldn't mind seeing fb go down for a few hours, days, a week. I'm honestly curious who would go 'eh whatev' and go back to calling and texting their friends and who would break down and spend the time it's down in the fetal position.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Macbeth wrote:

I posted that from my phone. I had no idea it was that huge. My bad.

It more or less shows how the current tech trend (which includes facebook) mimics the one that blew up in the early 00's. On the section Internet hotties it shows you some ridiculous numbers regarding some companies including Facebook. For instance Facebook when it was valued at $75 billion gave it the market cap of Goldman Saches. Facebook value was set at more than 37 times the amount of revenue they had. It also shows some other ridiculous values set for other internet companies like Twitter which is set at 55 times it's revenue.

tl;dr Values are seriously inflated.
So essentially Facebook should really be evaluated at a touch under $2 billion, based on their revenue?
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

I don't know anyone so tied to their facebook account
if you signed up, and posted anything, they can count you as 'a media impression'. that is what is driving the value - eight hundred million + users that "opted in" and a database with your online presence, backed up nightly.
That surely includes the thousands upon thousands of fake accounts and spam bots.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

The decision seven years ago by a Korean-American muralist and graffiti artist to turn down thousands of dollars in cash for his work painting murals on the walls of Facebook’s first office in Palo Alto, Calif., has made him a very, very, rich man.

The artist, 35-year-old David Choe, gambled and instead took an equal value of shares of Facebook’s stock.

The social network, in one of the world’s most widely anticipated IPOs, or initial public offerings of stock, filed papers Wednesday to raise at least $5 billion.

As a result, Choe’s shares could be worth upward of $200 million when Facebook stock trades publicly later this year, the New York Times reported
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

I thought you liked free market capitalism and rich people getting richer.

What exactly is wrong here, that doesn't fit with libertarian free market theory?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard