Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5327|London, England

1927 wrote:

Jay wrote:

1927 wrote:

Whats salt got to do with it?
Nothing. It just means I can't explain to you why I find it pleasurable in words
Please try and prove me wrong.  I dont think you do for one second.
I smoked cigarettes for 11 years. I only quit this past November. Cigars don't taste like candy, but I do find them to be nice in moderation. Compared to a cigarette, which is pure harsh, they have almost a caramely flavor.

I think most people that dislike cigars hate them because they've inhaled the smoke instead of holding it in the mouth

And I can't prove you wrong. This is all opinion we're talking about. You dislike cigars and even if I wanted to, there's nothing I could say to change your opinion.

Last edited by Jay (2012-01-24 05:28:22)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I know through experience you can get flavoured cigars, Rum being a popular one.  Even so and even then it tastes like shit, Its a differnt smoke.

Its like smoking 12 Camels and Malboroughs all at once.  It makes you stretch your face out into a wide smile like a clowns, whilst not smiling of course.

The only thing I have ever set fire to and enjoyed the taste of is a spliff, and even then Its not a great taste.

I havent tried a sheesha if thats what them bongy looking things are but I dont believe its possible to actually enjoy the taste of something you are smoking.

The worst thing you can do is inhale a cigar, your likely to cough up clean out of your mouth at least two vital organs.  Opps there goes my kidneys
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
it's an acquired taste, i'm sure.  i smoked cigs for ten years, and quit... don't miss it at all.  cigars seem more of a diversion than a habit, just something to do to wind down or enjoy with your friends after a night of partying.  one of the best experiences i had smoking a cigar was canoe camping at mammoth cave.  we spent a day paddling, floating, and fishing down the river.  we made camp on the shore, and sat around a campfire telling stories and enjoying a flask of wild turkey and smoking cheap gas station cigars that were probably stale.

cigars to me are more of a camaraderie experience with great friends, than just something to do out of habit.  now that i'm getting older, i feel like i should educate myself into the nuances of fine cigars versus shitty ones, to make that experience that much more enjoyable.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
A few of my friends drink Lager when you can tell by looking at their 'Lager Face' they actually hate it, but drink it so they fit in with the crowd.

Silly fuckheads.  I dont like Lager so dont drink it, I drink Cider instead, Jacks n Cokes or even Smirnoff Ice.  You can laugh and point at me as much as you want, Im doing what I want to.

What relevance does this have?

Only get into Cigars if you genuinely want to, not feel you have to, due to 'getting on' a bit.

No matter how bad the shittiest taste in my mouth is after a whole days smoking, heavy smoking, it has never been as bad as just 1 cigar.
steelie34
pub hero!
what i meant by feeling i should educate myself is that i do like cigars, but i want to get the most out of smoking one.  i feel like learning as much as i can would contribute to my overall enjoyment.  it's certainly not something i'm doing to 'go along with the crowd' but instead i think it would be foolish on my part to spend money on something i know nothing about.  its the same with almost any other hobby you could have.  i don't want to handcuff myself into an area of smoking what everyone else smokes because they like it, but rather finding out what i would enjoy to make a more informed purchase.  believe me, if i didnt enjoy cigars, i wouldnt smoke them.
Thats the bit I get about both yourself and Jay, you want to do it and like it.

Im the same with Cigarettes.

I cant answer you why I do, and Im just looking for a valid reason why you guys wanna spark up with some Cigars.  No matter what I answer I think its a lie.  There is no valid reason.  I reckon its the same with cigar smokers.

I dont believe they taste nice, even something I smoke that smells funny, while nice, dosent taste nice.

Neither of you are guys who are pompus or all laah de daah ie, 'Oh yes look at me ol boy, Im smoking on a cigar don't you know', so its not for any status you may get with one hanging out ya gob.

Maybe then I can answer myself and others why I smoke.  I dont see the difference between a fag and a cigar.  I know people who smoke fags as often as people who smoke cigars, ie, not very much.

Smoking weed at least has the bonus of altering your state of mind.  So if asked why I smoke Ganj I could answer that.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5883|...

I smoke cigars while golfing...seems like the thing to do.

I also have smoked a cigar while kayaking out of pure necessity...we were being swarmed by some crazy flies and the only thing that made them go away was the cigar smoke. Ha.
steelie34
pub hero!
cigar smoke is very potent bug repellent.  i get the urge to light one whenever i'm camping for some reason, especially after a hard day of paddling or hiking.  there is just something satisfying about it.  its not a quick shot like a cig, its a more drawn out ritual that has as much to do with the act of smoking as the smoke itself. 

if you need any convincing, buy a cigar and pour a glass of whiskey or bourbon neat.  build a fire, have some friends over, and tell me you don't have a great time.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
can i lie?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
saw a white lady in her 40's or 50's smoking a swishersweet cigar. that was weird
Tu Stultus Es
gurdeep
­
+812|4724|proll­y
https://getdangoodman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Black-Mild-e1271994151735.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
i never liked black and milds
Tu Stultus Es
gurdeep
­
+812|4724|proll­y

eleven bravo wrote:

i never liked black and milds
doin it wrong
gurdeep
­
+812|4724|proll­y
i havent had a cig since sat night and i really want a fucking black and mild right now
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
i never liked blacks
Tu Stultus Es
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

steelie34 wrote:

if you need any convincing, buy a cigar and pour a glass of whiskey or bourbon neat.  build a fire, have some friends over, and tell me you don't have a great time.
Bourbon tastes like arse, whiskey tastes worse then arse and cigars stink like burning death and taste as bad. But you are right; the fire would make it a fun night, but I'd reinvest the alcohol money into something a little cheaper like metho and burn the shit instead.
Volatile
+252|6674|Sextupling in Empire

There are a lot of cigar makers that you generally cannot go wrong with, i.e., all of their blends are going to be of good quality and are not going to taste like a charcoal brick.

Here are a few cheap(er) smokes($5-$8):

Padron (medium/full-the basic blend denoted as 4000,5000, etc.)
Rocky patel 10 or 12 year aged(medium)
Rocky patel edge(full bodied)
Partagas black label(full bodied)
Gurkha regent(medium)   
Gurkha legend(medium)
Arturo Fuente(mild to medium)
Romeo y Julieta habana reserve(mild to medium)

Some special cigars($15-$25)

Padron anniversary 1926 or 1964 (64's are a little smoother, 26's a bit stronger- but both are amazing and are medium/full)
La Aurora preferidos(mild)
Fuente Fuente opus x(one of the most sought after cigars, limited supply, but sometimes they pop up at your cigar shop- medium/full)
Diamond Crown maximus(medium/full)
Gurkha grand reserve(cognac infused cigar that is considered to be a "flavored" cigar, mild/medium)

I generally prefer medium/full cigars as I find them to have a good strong flavor but don't require a heavy meal to keep from getting knocked on your ass like full bodied cigars do.

Mild cigars are nice if you want to have something early in the day without an overwhelming punch to the face.

Damnit, this thread is going to send me off to the shop, and i'm trying to cut back on frivolous spending
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4523|Always Sunny in Philadelphia
they smell like shit but better than cigs
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5033

gurdeep wrote:

Damn girl, you sure do got a purdy mouth! LOL

Board footer