Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

Jimbob23 wrote:

Marijuana should be legal just because of the sole fact that you can make over 20,000 products from it.
Yeah, ok, and those 20,000 products can and are made with substitute materials. Pretty much the weakest argument potheads make.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
It is pointless to make those arguments, when the main ones are so strong.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jord wrote:

It is pointless to make those arguments, when the main ones are so strong.
Right, it actually makes the overall argument weaker by allowing people to nitpick the irrelevant crap. "Oh you can use hemp in 20,000 different ways? List them".
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Paper from hemp was cheaper and the process was less intensive than making paper from wood pulp. I believe it was duPont that successfully lobbied to have hemp products (and marijuana) outlawed in the early 1900s to protect their pulp to paper process.
Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Marijuana should be legal just because of the sole fact that you can make over 20,000 products from it.
Yeah, ok, and those 20,000 products can and are made with substitute materials. Pretty much the weakest argument potheads make.
I don't smoke pot.

Edit~There is thousands of reasons why hemp is better then the other "substitute materials you speak of". Google is your friend!

Last edited by Jimbob23 (2012-01-23 13:09:05)

Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina
Quoted from Hempcar.org
Fuel:

* Farming 6% of the continental U.S. acreage with biomass crops would provide all of America's energy needs. 1
    * Hemp is Earth's number-one biomass resource; it is capable of producing 10 tons per acre in four months. 1
    * Biomass can be converted to methane, methanol, or gasoline at a cost comparable to petroleum, and hemp is much better for the environment. Pyrolysis (charcoalizing), or biochemical composting are two methods of turning hemp into fuel.2
    * Hemp can produce 10 times more methanol than corn.
    * Hemp fuel burns clean. Petroleum causes acid rain due to sulfur pollution.
    * The use of hemp fuel does not contribute to global warming.

Food:

* Hemp seed can be pressed into a nutritious oil, which contains the highest amount of fatty acids in the plant kingdom. Essential oils are responsible for our immune system responses, and clear the arteries of cholesterol and plaque.2
    * The byproduct of pressing the oil from hemp seed is high quality protein seed cake. It can be sprouted (malted) or ground and baked into cakes, breads, and casseroles. Hemp seed protein is one of mankind's finest, most complete and available-to-the-body vegetable proteins. 2
    * Hemp seed was the world's number one wild and domestic bird seed until the 1937 Marijuana prohibition law. Four million pounds of hemp seed for songbirds were sold at retail in the U.S. in 1937. Birds will pick hemp seeds out and eat them first from a pile of mixed seed. Birds in the wild live longer and breed more with hemp seed in their diet, using the oil for the feathers and their overall health

Fiber:

* Hemp is the oldest cultivated fiber plant in the world.
    * Low-THC fiber hemp varieties developed by the French and others have been available for over 20 years. It is impossible to get high from fiber hemp. Over 600,000 acres of hemp is grown worldwide with no drug misuse problem.
    * One acre of hemp can produce as much usable fiber as 4 acres of trees or two acres of cotton.
    * Trees cut down to make paper take 50 to 500 years to grow, while hemp can be cultivated in as little as 100 days and can yield 4 times more paper over a 20 year period.
    * Until 1883, from 75-90% of all paper in the world was made with cannabis hemp fiber including that for books, Bibles, maps, paper money, stocks and bonds, newspapers, etc. 2
    * Hemp paper is longer lasting than wood pulp, stronger, acid-free, and chlorine free. (Chlorine is estimated to cause up to 10% of all Cancers.) 2
    * Hemp paper can be recycled 7 times, wood pulp 4 times.
    * If the hemp pulp paper process reported by the USDA in 1916, were legal today it would soon replace 70% of all wood paper products. 2
    * Rag paper containing hemp fiber is the highest quality and longest lasting paper ever made. It can be torn when wet, but returns to its full strength when dry. Barring extreme conditions, rag paper remains stable for centuries. 2
    * Hemp particle board may be up to 2 times stronger than wood particleboard and holds nails better.
    * Hemp is softer, warmer, more water absorbent, has three times the tensile strength, and is many times more durable than cotton. Hemp production uses less chemicals than cotton. 2
    * From 70-90% of all rope, twine, and cordage was made from hemp until 1937. 2
    * A strong lustrous fiber; hemp withstands heat, mildew, insects, and is not damaged by light. Oil paintings on hemp and/or flax canvas have stayed in fine condition for centuries. 2

Still a weak argument?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Dude, just no.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Dude, just no.
I won.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
I agree, hemp should be a widely used product.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dude, just no.
I won.
You won nothing. It's a potheads argument.

"hurr durr, cover 6% of the US with hemp and we'll have enough fuel for everybody" Except only 18% of the US is arable land.

"hurr durr, burning hemp doesn't contribute to global warming" except you're burning a carbon based substance which generated CO2 when burned.

Please stop posting.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dude, just no.
I won.

"hurr durr, cover 6% of the US with hemp and we'll have enough fuel for everybody" Except only 18% of the US is arable land. ~ HA

"hurr durr, burning hemp doesn't contribute to global warming" except you're burning a carbon based substance which generated CO2 when burned. Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me, still better then gas and current ethanol products.

Please stop posting.
Hurr durr name more then 10 reasons it should be illegal? O wait you can't.

Please get off your high horse.

Last edited by Jimbob23 (2012-01-23 13:27:43)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

I won.

"hurr durr, cover 6% of the US with hemp and we'll have enough fuel for everybody" Except only 18% of the US is arable land.

"hurr durr, burning hemp doesn't contribute to global warming" except you're burning a carbon based substance which generated CO2 when burned.

Please stop posting.

I don't think it should be illegal, I just said that those '20,000 reasons hemp is useful' lists are terrible and should never be mentioned in a serious debate about weed legalization.

If you wanna smoke weed, say you wanna smoke weed. Don't hide behind some ridiculously awful list that you really don't care about at all. It's dishonest. Weed is not addictive and produces less harmful effects than alcohol does. That's the only argument you need. Well, that and an adult should be free to ingest whatever they want as long as its not harming others.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dude, just no.
I won.

Please stop posting.
I generally agree that the hemp argument is weak, but I thought for sure that more than just 18% of our land is arable.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

I won.

Please stop posting.
I generally agree that the hemp argument is weak, but I thought for sure that more than just 18% of our land is arable.
I CIA Factbooked it and everything
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Please stop posting.
I CIA Factbooked it and everything
Hmm...  I was about to check.

That's still good compared to a lot of countries, but it's also kind of amazing to contemplate.

We're the world's largest producer of food, and yet, we only use a small fraction of our arable land for farming.

Imagine how much food we could make if we maximized its use.
Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Please stop posting.

I don't think it should be illegal, I just said that those '20,000 reasons hemp is useful' lists are terrible and should never be mentioned in a serious debate about weed legalization.

If you wanna smoke weed, say you wanna smoke weed. Don't hide behind some ridiculously awful list that you really don't care about at all. It's dishonest. Weed is not addictive and produces less harmful effects than alcohol does. That's the only argument you need. Well, that and an adult should be free to ingest whatever they want as long as its not harming others.
Why should it not? If people knew how useful it was don't you think more people would be for legalization?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
i guess we include alaska
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Why should it not? If people knew how useful it was don't you think more people would be for legalization?
No, because as I said, most of the stuff listed is wrong or inane. No one argues for legalization based on hemp usage. They argue for legalization because they want to get high. Just be honest about it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

RTHKI wrote:

Yeah, I guess when you figure in large areas of permafrost and tundra, then 18% makes more sense.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

And the southwest, and mountains etc.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

No, because as I said, most of the stuff listed is wrong or inane. No one argues for legalization based on hemp usage. They argue for legalization because they want to get high. Just be honest about it.
Or because they are tired of our government wasting millions of dollars every year on something that will never work. I'm currently awaiting to go to boot camp for the Marine Corps haven't smoked in years. Please point out most of the wrong or inane facts, cause I only saw a few.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Or because they are tired of our government wasting millions of dollars every year on something that will never work. I'm currently awaiting to go to boot camp for the Marine Corps haven't smoked in years. Please point out most of the wrong or inane facts, cause I only saw a few.
Why would I waste my time? That's like tossing out "God exists" and asking me to prove you wrong. Do your own homework (if you'd done homework you wouldn't be joining the marines!).
-Frederick Bastiat
Flawless
Rage
+7|4626|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Jimbob23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why would I waste my time? That's like tossing out "God exists" and asking me to prove you wrong. Do your own homework (if you'd done homework you wouldn't be joining the marines!).
Never liked homework
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
I still think the hemp debate should be separate from the weed debate, mainly for the paper production angle.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Jaekus wrote:

I still think the hemp debate should be separate from the weed debate, mainly for the paper production angle.
Not going to happen. They are irretractably linked in people's psyche. They only way you are going to get hemp legal is if you get pot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard