• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Nexus's next random stupid project that is a waste of money but i'm
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6334|Atlanta, Georgia
bored....

I'll update as I go on. I welcome all comments suggestions and help to anyone who has any valid knowledge. Also I'm still looking for a decent amplifier to hook up. I don't want >500 watts nor $50. So help on that is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. I hope you guys might get bored and have random parts laying around get to experiment too!

So in short this is what I'm doing.
I'm making a poor mans earth rattling home entertainment getup.

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/Idea.png
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/2012-01-20_22-52-33_800.jpg
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/2012-01-20_22-52-58_253.jpg
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/2012-01-20_23-32-14_333.jpg
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/2012-01-20_23-52-29_914.jpg

I'll update as I go on. I welcome all comments suggestions and help to anyone who has any valid knowledge. Also I'm still looking for a decent amplifier to hook up. I don't want >500 watts nor $50. So help on that is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. I hope you guys might get bored and have random parts laying around get to experiment too!

Last edited by NeXuS (2012-01-20 21:07:51)

PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6281|Pacific NW, USA
Step1:  Vacuum the fucking floor.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney

PigPopTart wrote:

NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Jaekus wrote:

PigPopTart wrote:

It's my room get the fuck off my back i work a lot. +2 Dogs

rest of the house is spotless

Last edited by NeXuS (2012-01-20 21:34:04)

Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
ALWAYS measure watts in RMS. So 300 RMS, yeah?

Why the PSU, doesn't the amp have an in-built power supply?

Where are your mids and highs? At the moment all I can see is a sub.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Jaekus wrote:

Car amps don't come with a built in PSU. RMS watts? Gottcha. I believe i might buy a 4 channel amp to take care of those. 2 channels will go to each speaker and I will bridge the other two channels into the sub.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6784|Jupiter
This is a bad idea. I already tried it, ended up making a phantom PS that would keep running after I unplugged it from the wall and gave up lol.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney

NeXuS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Car amps don't come with a built in PSU. RMS watts? Gottcha. I believe i might buy a 4 channel amp to take care of those. 2 channels will go to each speaker and I will bridge the other two channels into the sub.
In basic terms, RMS is the actual performance of the amp over a prolonged period without any damage being sustained. PMPO (peak or other terms) is exactly that, the peak output it can possibly do, but anything sustained at this volume will not only sound terrible (heaps of distortion etc) it will actually physically damage your speakers / amp.

As far as using a computer PSU, personally I'd scrap that idea and just buy a dedicated amp. A lot less hassle and better performance. A car amp is designed to run off a car battery, pretty sure a PSU has different wattages and voltages.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Jaekus wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

In basic terms, RMS is the actual performance of the amp over a prolonged period without any damage being sustained. PMPO (peak or other terms) is exactly that, the peak output it can possibly do, but anything sustained at this volume will not only sound terrible (heaps of distortion etc) it will actually physically damage your speakers / amp.

As far as using a computer PSU, personally I'd scrap that idea and just buy a dedicated amp. A lot less hassle and better performance. A car amp is designed to run off a car battery, pretty sure a PSU has different wattages and voltages.
I've already got it covered. It's just an idea i'm doing with scraps. I'm not spending hardly any money on this.
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6199
Your likely to get loads of noise coming through your sub cone from that PSU (Interference)
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Nexus's next random stupid project that is a waste of money but i'm

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard