I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5333|Sydney
Put $1,000 each week and say you're going 7 times, lol
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam

pirana6 wrote:

interesting app

At the beginning of each week, you set a goal for the number of times you'll visit the gym and name a price you're willing to pay for not meeting that goal. If you miss your goal, you pay the price. If you make it, you receive a portion of the cash collected from all the people who missed their goals. The iOS app confirms you've actually been to the gym through a location-based check-in feature.
here
http://www.gym-pact.com/
oh ffs.
First time i regret having a home gym. I almost never miss a work-out, i would get so fucking rich.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6813|BC, Canada
Tried adding pomegranate juice to my protein smoothie today. It was nice. Also, first day in the gym in awhile, got tired quick.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Tried adding pomegranate juice to my protein smoothie today. It was nice. Also, first day in the gym in awhile, got tired quick.
my shakes need to maintain a flat flavour if you know what i mean by that. Whey never has a sharp flavour, its never quite sweet, sour or bitter.
If i add anything to it that does (right now i only add milk and a banana), like, say, a pear (ive tried it once, was all out of bananas) it will have the initial taste of old moldy bread and after every sip the exquisite after-taste of vomit.

So that would be a no-no for me.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5638|Bolingbrook, Illinois
my shake consists of:

2 cups of milk (type of milk depends on whether i'm bulking or cutting and etc)
cup of ice
scoop of optimum nutrition whey protein
1 banana

and any combination of the following:
raspberries
blueberries
strawberries
pineapple

i'm probably forgetting some, but it doesn't matter.  the end result is about a liter of delicious protein shake

Last edited by HaiBai (2012-01-17 09:28:13)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6154|...
great so now they marketed protein shakes to 16 year olds

sure gonna help buddy
inane little opines
HaiBai
stop trolling
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6154|...
I'm not.

It's the biggest bullshit story in muscle building history that you need protein shakes to succeed, or that they otherwise significantly increase your progress.

Just eat more and eat good.
inane little opines
HaiBai
i agree with you, i don't need protein shakes to succeed and they don't significantly increase my progress

i still need a good amount of protein, anywhere from .8-1.5 grams per pound of body weight, depending on your goals

i get a decent amount from chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, etc, but i don't have enough time nor energy to make sure i get my protein from real food.  protein shakes are just a supplement.  it's not like they hurt me.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6154|...
I don't understand why people say they can't get enough from regular foods.

on gym-days my breakfast alone has 80-90 grams of protein in it.

The problem is that you're pissing away your money, you probably don't need all that protein because you're more than likely not the kinda guy who goes to the gym several hours every day - they really need it, the pro-bodybuilder type of people. They need their muscles to repair as fast as possible.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-01-17 09:41:51)

inane little opines
HaiBai
fyi, protein is just one of the 3 basic nutrients.  carbs, fats, and proteins.

protein is used for way more than just "repairing muscles as fast as possible"

about 38% of my calories come from proteins
about 37% of my calories come from carbs
about 25% of my calories come from fats

there's nothing wrong with that diet plan
HaiBai
oh and one more thing: the cheapest source of protein is from protein shakes.  it's about $.68 for 30 grams of protein.  that's way better than chicken breast, protein bars, eggs, and etc.  protein powder is cheap and easy
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6154|...
I cba arguing it as I've done that way too much in the past few years. Protein shakes dominate the market, people are handed them from the 1st day they work out. Don't bother putting together a proper diet first and trying without them, no, you are told you need protein shakes to succeed at anything. You will never build muscle without protein shakes, or otherwise significantly lose out on progress. Oh, and normal (healthy) food is too expensive, and that's why you use shakes.

This entire thread is filled with people first off complaining they haven't gone to the gym in a while or have 'missed a few days' and then followed by lots and lots of talk of when you need your 'protein shake intake' and 'how much'. It's ridiculous. No, it's not gonna help. No, it's not gonna help significantly. No, you don't need 200-300g of protein intake every day to build muscle. That's a crock of shit. Especially not the inexperienced or those who just started weight lifting. There's NO WAY their bodies require a shake as an additive because they're not going to be using that much protein anyway. It's just gonna convert itself into fat or otherwise be pissed out of their systems. This stuff was first only used by strength athletes and professional bodybuilders, you know? You plan on going pro-boxing or mr. Universe? Or are you big in the amateur leagues? No? Then why would you even drink that shit.

It's very easy to get more than enough protein every day by eating normal, good foods which you prepare yourself.

No it's not too expensive. Yes, it does cost a little more, but:
1. It is more healthy
2. Taking the time to prepare the food and spending the money tells me a thing or two about your actual motivation.

Oh and you're not going to build shit if you 'miss a few days', or 'haven't gone to the gym in a while' regardless of whether or not you drink liters of protein shakes each day. If you do the latter but not the former (actually working out, with some iron discipline) that's another reason why you shouldn't even bother with the protein shake bullshit. You will be able to do just fine without. Sure, you'll never reach the 100kg+ mike tyson/peter aerts kind of weight & mass but you don't have to, and you don't plan on getting that big.

There's plenty, PLENTY of huge people who use no additives whatsoever. I know many. I know many who don't even go to the gym. One of the older climbing instructors in the indoor hall I regular, weighs around ~185-190 lbs at 6'1, he's 44 and has done nothing other than swimming/climbing. No additives, nada. One of the local strongmen in my gym uses no additives and he's the kinda guy that picks up 350 lbs boulders and puts them on top of poles. Or you could go and take a look in one of your local martial arts schools, I guarantee you there's going to be more than a few who are big and have gotten big without using additives.

Working out requires three things and three things only:

1. Gameplan
2. Good food
3. Discipline

That is all it takes. You will get strong. Or, if you're some sort of man-lady and you work out for no other purpose than to 'impress the ladies', rest assured, you will be able to look good.

Bodybuilding science can kiss my ass.
And of all people, you as a 16 year old should be the last to take a protein additive. Your muscles haven't even fully developed yet. It is absolutely pointless.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-01-17 11:36:19)

inane little opines
HaiBai
i just think it's funny that the main point of your post is that you need to simplify your workout plan along with your diet plan, yet argue against protein shakes.  that's exactly what protein shakes are for.  if you actually are a legit body builder, i'd spend the extra time carefully crafting my diet plan out so i don't have to resort to synthetic proteins.  however, i don't have time for that.  my target is to have a little over a third of my total calories to be from protein, which is about 195 grams of protein per day.  again, that's not a lot.  are you seriously going to tell me that i should eat less proteins and eat more carbs/fats?  that's ridiculous man.  remember, 25% of my diet is from fats.  the rest is split evenly into proteins and carbs.  how is that too much protein?

i really feel like you have no idea what you're talking about when you say stuff like "It's just gonna convert itself into fat or otherwise be pissed out of their systems".  you realize that protein is just another source of energy, right?  protein is really no different from carbs or fats.  we aren't talking about creatine here.  a protein = 4 calories, which we need to survive.

i agree with you about missing days.  sometimes i look at this thread and it's the same guys saying that they're hitting the gym after not working out for a while.  in fact, i've been guilty of it too in the past couple of months mainly because of injuries.  i'm really starting to get into my workouts after a month and i break my hand.  awesome.  or i get some random pain coming from my spleen.  or i break my toe because i drop a weight on it.  or i strain my hip flexors from not stretching properly before squatting.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6154|...
No, proteins carbs and fats are not the same at all. Proteins are used first and foremost for repairing muscle tissue, which also makes it grow. And I don't know about you but I have never heard of it being a good idea to eat more proteins than carbs in a day. That's probably only possible if you add protein shakes to your diet anyway.

I argue against protein shakes because I believe it's utter tripe that anyone needs them other than those strength athletes for which they were originally intended in the first place. It's a waste of money. I also believe it's unnecessary to resort to spreadsheets and shit like that to calculate your precise food intake. A rough estimation is fine. Eating healthy food is necessary regardless, you might as well do it properly and rely on them.

I never miss days. I rarely get injured. The last time I got 'injured' was after 4 consecutive days of heavy lifting, which was last week. Pulled my right bicep on Friday (did a climbing session saturday morning regardless) & it was completely healed bout yesterday night.

I don't even know how people manage to get injured from simply going to the gym. You'd have to use stupidly heavy weights for your size and do so too much and wrongly at that.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-01-17 12:02:19)

inane little opines
HaiBai

Shocking wrote:

No, proteins carbs and fats are not the same at all. Proteins are used first and foremost for repairing muscle tissue, which also makes it grow. And I don't know about you but I have never heard of it being a good idea to eat more proteins than carbs in a day. That's probably only possible if you add protein shakes to your diet anyway.
i know that they're different, my point is that your treating protein as if it was creatine or vitamin C.  it's not.  humans have a dependence on it just as much as we depend on carbs and fats.  proteins are more for than simply repairing muscle tissue to build muscle.  even when you're cutting you want to consume a large amount of protein because it will maintain your muscle: your body will maintain muscle while lose fat.  protein is the key dietary factor for this to occur.  not to mention, if you're trying to lose weight, protein is even more beneficial because it's the best macronutrient at keeping us full.  and to add to that, our body burns the most calories during digestion by digesting proteins.  protein has many more benefits than to just "build muscle"

Shocking wrote:

I argue against protein shakes because I believe it's utter tripe that anyone needs them other than those strength athletes for which they were originally intended in the first place. It's a waste of money. I also believe it's unnecessary to resort to spreadsheets and shit like that to calculate your precise food intake. A rough estimation is fine. Eating healthy food is necessary regardless, you might as well do it properly and rely on them.
why?  i don't understand how it's a waste of money when it's cheaper then every other source of protein.  besides, who said we aren't strength athletes?  isn't that what we're trying to accomplish?  i'd like to make my lifting gains as efficiently as possible, even if it comes from protein shakes, which are cheap compared to other sources of protein anyway.

Shocking wrote:

I never miss days. I rarely get injured. The last time I got 'injured' was after 4 consecutive days of heavy lifting, which was last week. Pulled my right bicep on Friday (did a climbing session saturday morning regardless) & it was completely healed bout yesterday night.

I don't even know how people manage to get injured from simply going to the gym. You'd have to use stupidly heavy weights for your size and do so too much and wrongly at that.
this may be tough to believe, but i don't just lift.  i like to play a wide variety of sports.

besides, my two gym injuries are from 1. straining my hip flexors because i was squatting heavy without stretching at all.  it took about a month for them to recover.  i learned from my mistakes and i know better now.  2. i dropped a 35 pounds dumbbell on my foot.  yes, this is a completely retarded injury.

i broke my hand playing basketball and i don't know where my spleen pain come from.  the stories i've heard about spleen's rupturing during heavy squats scared the shit out of me though, so i wanted to get it checked out by a doctor before i continued.  all of these injuries were within the last 4-5 months.  hopefully i've just been unlucky rather than injury prone
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney
You're right, you don't need protein shakes. It's just a quick and easy way to get protein into your system quickly.

Only time I have a shake these days is sometimes pre-workout, and always post-workout. The reasons being for pre-workout is I need the energy and protein for the workout, and post for muscle recovery. But I know this isn't essential and on some days (like today) I will instead eat my carbs and protein pre-workout, and I am aware you can also eat the protein and carbs post-workout for recovery. But I get a bit lazy
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6478|New Haven, CT
I have got in the habit of taking a tuna sandwich from the dining hall for a post workout snack. Tuna is a great source of protein, food from the dining hall is "free" (no additional cost to make a tuna sandwich, wrap it, and take it for later), and I strongly prefer having something solid and substantial to consume following a strenuous workout.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6891|Oxferd Ohire
why would there be any additional cost
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6478|New Haven, CT

RTHKI wrote:

why would there be any additional cost
Some mean plans are pay for what you eat, some are all you can eat.
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney
Just smashed a workout, felt really good. I think my OHP technique has improved, felt a bit better despite upping the weight a bit from last time.

I've really undone most of the progress the past three months and the majority of last year I wasn't getting both my diet and workout correct for my goals.

It's taken me this long but I'm finally 100% sure of what I am doing and how to go about it. Most importantly of all I am motivated and committed
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6478|New Haven, CT
Always a wonderful feeling to know you are improving your body.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6445|Washington St.
you know you have good squat form when you pull a muscle in your neck.

oops.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6346|Roma

pirana6 wrote:

you know you have good squat form when you pull a muscle in your neck.

oops.
haha. effort.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6809

i did a few miles of running just then and a shit load of push ups at different times of the day im working on my hand stands so i can do hand stand push ups they work ur different kind of muscles compared tonormal push ups

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard