Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

Hey guys,

So here's what's going on. Three times now, we are just using the computer as usual and then it just shuts down abruptly. The green power light remains on, and the red hard drive light goes out. We usually have to hold the power button for a good 10 seconds before it fires back up.
I don't think a blue screen ever comes up when it reboots.

When we fire it back up, sometimes it just boots up normally and then we log back in to our accounts and it works. Other times it starts up and brings us back to exactly where we were before it crashed.

Computer is probably 6 years old, if specs are needed I will post them.

Is it the hard drive failing? The PSU? I have no idea when it comes to this stuff.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

My guess would be PSU, but I've had to replace the motherboard on an old system once for similar symptoms.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6784|Jupiter
New PC time yay
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
It starts up where it was before? Surely that's what hibernate or Sleep does? Check Power Settings in Control Panel, make sure you're on High Performance.
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

jsnipy wrote:

My guess would be PSU, but I've had to replace the motherboard on an old system once for similar symptoms.
The original PSU crapped out last year sometime, smoke and everything lol

They put in a replacement one, but maybe it's faulty too. It's definitely not high quality stuff so that could be an issue.

@FF, I'll check the settings right now.

As far as I can tell, it's not set to hibernate or stand by at all. When I click the UPS tab, it says the UPS service is currently stopped. Does that mean anything?

Last edited by Ryan (2012-01-16 18:22:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard