Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State
Let's take the purely theoretical situation that the US decides to invade Iran tomorrow. The purpose is to remove the government. Commanders have ~6 months to mobilize and prepare their forces to invade.

(yes, I know that this is a horrible idea for many, many reasons... Taxes, debt, public opinion to another war, all of that can be neglected. This is mainly a debate about the fitness of Iran's military, rather than the circumstances that are surrounding such an invasion.)

Would Iran's current military stand a chance?

I would be inclined to say no.

However, some people say that the modern Iranian air defenses and the mountainous terrain could delay US forces from toppling the government for more than 3 months...

is the US capable of winning a war like that?

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2012-01-16 14:10:14)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France
Depends on your definition of winning.

Charlie Sheen would say yes
Trotskygrad
бля

Pug wrote:

Depends on your definition of winning.

Charlie Sheen would say yes
like I said, the objective would be to topple the government, and make the "official" army surrender. We're not talking about nation building here.

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2012-01-16 14:14:15)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
They could probably put up a fight. We haven't really tested our forces against a conventional modern army in a while.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
I don't think they'd be a pushover, but if we threw enough bodies and money at it, we'd probably be successful.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

heggs wrote:

I don't think they'd be a pushover, but if we threw enough bodies and money at it, we'd probably be successful.
Iraq was done in 3 weeks.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6311|Atlanta, Georgia
I think with the ammount of unmanned equipment we have and long range capabilities and our military intelligence (<--- Oxymoron) we could definitly take them. Given you always need boots on the ground I think we could pick them off with our tech then send in our boys. But I don't really wish that to happen at all.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

NeXuS wrote:

I think with the ammount of unmanned equipment we have and long range capabilities and our military intelligence (<--- Oxymoron) we could definitly take them. Given you always need boots on the ground I think we could pick them off with our tech then send in our boys. But I don't really wish that to happen at all.
only fucking military wannabees like shifty do
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
Iran is 3 times larger than Iraq and has more than double the population.
There wouldn't be Kurdish separatists in the north to aid.

And Iran's military is worlds apart from Iraq's.
While Iran today has submarines, Iraq never fully recovered form the Iraq-Iran war.

This would be a very bad idea and very highly likely won't happen.
Trotskygrad
бля

globefish23 wrote:

Iran is 3 times larger than Iraq and has more than double the population.
There wouldn't be Kurdish separatists in the north to aid.

And Iran's military is worlds apart from Iraq's.
While Iran today has submarines, Iraq never fully recovered form the Iraq-Iran war.

This would be a very bad idea and very highly likely won't happen.
It IS a very bad idea, and will NOT happen.

However from a strategic and technical point of view, would it be possible?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
I believe it would be. Our fighter aircraft are a generation ahead of theirs, so is our Navy. The American F117 Nighthawks flew over Baghdad with thousands of AA rounds being fired at them randomly because the enemy had no clue where the F117s were. I doubt Iranian radar tech could pick up a couple of B2 Spirits dropping laser-guided Mk.84s on key government buildings and military complexes. Hell the bunker busters available and sheer technological advance the U.S. military has over Iran's would make it a walk in the park (too exaggerate just a little.)

Hell in WWII the U.S. broke Germany's industrial strength be bombing the shit out of all their factories. Except the losses were tremendous because the German's had radar and the U.S. were attacking in daylight when they could be intercepted by the Luftwaffe. Remove the radar, (b2 stealth bomber) and the possibility of interception (night time attack) and the U.S. could casually bomb the shit ouf of them until their industry and military complexes fall to shit.

If F22s are as radar-proof as they claim to be, we could also take out their air superiority in no-time from bases in Iraq.

Don't even get me started on how bad US M1 Abrams tanks would rape Iranian shit-tanks. Here's a list of their shit.

Without armored vehicles, aircraft, submarines, other naval vessels, and government leadership, we wouldn't have to worry about ground troops.

/armchair general

What do people with more experience than me on the subject think? Keep in mind I have no idea how advanced Iran's navy is but that isn't even an issue for the B2s, F22s, and Abrams which could all come from Iraq or even the US in the case of the B2s.

E*: That being said, I don't think we need to go to war with Iran at all, but if we do I sure as hell hope I'm in the Marines when it happens.

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2012-01-16 15:24:47)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
Conventionally, we'd absolutely destroy them.

The war wouldn't be the problem -- the insurgency would.

An Iranian insurgency would be several times worse than the ones we've had to deal with in Iraq and Afghanistan.
rdx-fx
+955|6561
We could wipe out Iran's military with a quickness.
Then just leave the weakened, vulnerable government in place for a "Persian Spring" uprising.

We spend more on our yearly military budget than the rest of the world combined.
AND our troops have been fighting non-stop for the last 10+ years.
We have the equipment, we have the experience, and we have the tactics ironed out.

The only "fair" fight would be the rest of the world versus the US, in military terms.
Iran, by themselves, is a speed bump.

But, to back up a few steps..
Why in the hell would we want to go in and try to solve more Middle Eastern problems with more US forces?
Let Iran and Saudi Arabia figure out which of them is top dog, without US help.

The point of having overwhelming force on tap, is to convince potential opponents that they definitely don't want to pick a fight.
The point is not to wander about the planet with your dick hanging out, so to speak.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Turquoise wrote:

An Iranian insurgency would be several times worse than the ones we've had to deal with in Iraq and Afghanistan.
This

If the politicians don't start waving their dicks around and GTFO after destroying their conventional military it would be a quick victory.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

This

If the politicians don't start waving their dicks around and GTFO after destroying their conventional military it would be a quick victory.
Maybe it would, but then again....

Why do it in the first place?  Pakistan's far more of a threat than Iran, yet we aren't pushing them to disarm.

I think we should just keep an eye on them.  We don't need to attack them, and we need to keep Israel from doing it as well.

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-01-16 15:33:59)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I agree Turq. I only supported the war in Iraq and Afghanistan to disestablish their crappy government. The war in Iraq ended conventionally very quickly and I wanted them to pull out once that was accomplished. We lost thousands of men, but learned a lot about asymmetric warfare. Wars always benefit in the advent of technology but I hate the loss of life it comes with. With Afghanistan we should have been our in 2001 but politicians decided to be dicks and let the locals get Osama, well that worked peachy.

I support the troops, not the war past those points. I hate politicians with a passion when they get involved in wars they need to stay the hell out of and let the generals do their jobs.

Nation building

what a joke
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

9/10 successful troll op
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

If Iran got a nuke and managed to hit something in retaliation, nobody would win. Hasn't the west done ENOUGH to Iran? It's our fault they have the government they do now.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
shifty why would you actually want to be in a war?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

FatherTed wrote:

Maybe he's seen The Rough Riders.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

FatherTed wrote:

I'm a very helpful person, I like to help out

No but seriously somebody has to be in the military, and I am willing to do that as are many other people. If our nation got attacked or provoked or whatever by Iran it would be an honor to step up and help out.
Trotskygrad
бля
would casualties in the initial invasion stage be less than 1000?

I'm inclined to say yes.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Trotskygrad wrote:

would casualties in the initial invasion stage be less than 1000?

I'm inclined to say yes.
Initial invasion stage? Hell if U.S. RAM tech is what it's cracked out to be causalities could be below 10 for the bombers and I feel they could win the war themselves.

Why not just stay close to Iran with a few carriers and a shit ton of submarines (since enemy submarines are my biggest concern if the U.S. goes to war) to protect the carriers and blow shit up with B2s?

Why even bother with a ground invasion if intel can be gathered via satellite and UAVs which the B2s could bomb the shit out of? Lets not forget Tomahawks and the likes.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
I hope shifty is a future casualty.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

-Sh1fty- wrote:

What do people with more experience than me on the subject think?
Wasn't aware you had an military experience.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard