TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5951|Toronto
I'm not going to post a trailer/video. It doesn't deserve the views.

I used to be a huge fan of the NFS series. NFS2, Hot Pursuit 1 and 2, even High Stakes were pretty good. Porsche Unleashed will always be the best racing game ever, bar none.

After Underground, though, things got odd. Most Wanted was half-decent, everything else than non-driftmode Shift found new, low-hanging balls to suck.

Today, I wanted to try another racing game, to feel the rush of bygone years. So I thought hey, The Run looks okay. Eh, it looks pretty good.

The singleplayer starts with you having to press random keys to get ot of a car in a crusher. Wierd, but okay, I guess...and then a car chase, where your Audi RS4 is chased by a bunch of gun-wielding morons in Cayenne Turbos.

Once I figured the gas pedal was "A" (took three attempts with me getting shot and having to replay the whole damn thing--and no, no changing key bindings!), I floored it out of the junkyard, slowed to 120 kph for a 70-degree bend...and propmptly got shot again by the two Cayennes that sailed by me on a perfect line, going maybe 220 kph around this turn. Wat.

This is Need for Speed: The Run, ladies and gents:

1. Craptacular voice actors with no emotion and the most dried-out, uninspired and predictable lines.

2. Handling that's straight out of Hot Wheels. It doesn't matter whether to go into a 90-degree turn on a dirt road at 250 or 80--your car will retain its perfect grip, and you'll never have to use the brake.

3. My 1985 Rabbit GTi is as fast as your Pagani Huayaaaaauauara. Seriously. Also handles exactly the same. And just wait until I hit the (miraculously rechargeable) NOS--you'll never see me again.

4. You'll get chased by police Ford Tauruses that an go 350, helicopters that can go the same speed backwards, Cayennes with invisible guns that can go twice that, and always have to beat the same rivals at least twice. Oh, did I mention there's no damage, either?

Seriously, this is why EA games aren't even worth pirating anymore.
I like pie.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6127|Vancouver | Canada
Most Wanted was amazing. Everything after that has been largely shit, and I haven't bothered with latest ones.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
Agree, after Most Wanted, things dropped off a cliff in quality.  Was afraid this would be the case with The Run. RIP NFS series.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

DefCon-17 wrote:

Most Wanted was amazing. Everything after that has been largely shit, and I haven't bothered with latest ones.
seriously, its ashamed its been continuously butchered over the years
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Agree with most wanted.

When they went into drifting the series took a nosedive.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2012-01-08 20:19:38)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6314
I rather enjoyed the latest Hot Pursuit though.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
NFS2:SE was the best one.

McLaren F1
Italian/Mediterranian bonus track
Drastically improved 3DFx graphics
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6359|New York
The NFS series is all but dead. It's just uninspired drivel these days; I will never consider buying another NFS game after being severely disappointed by NFS Carbon. I sold that shit back within a week it was so godawful.

Do yourself a favor and buy GT5 or the latest Forza game. At least with those two, you'll get your money's worth. Hell, I've spent probably 150 hours on GT5 since I got it at launch. I'm still not done with it, and they do seasonal events that give you new races every couple weeks.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
nfs series has always been garbage except for that one game that came out around 2004
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.

Sisco wrote:

I didn't, the physics made no sense. The driving physics in GTA4 (a game that came out years earlier) are far more solid, and that game isn't even a racing game.

Series went to shit, nfs underground 1/2 were great back in the day.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

globefish23 wrote:

NFS2:SE was the best one.

McLaren F1
Italian/Mediterranian bonus track
Drastically improved 3DFx graphics
glide.dll
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I just want them to make another Underground, everything they make now is either safety McAutotrack bullshit or copying off the newer The Fast & The Furious concepts and other silly crap.  Underground is a lot like that too but it was just simple street racing, no cops or helicopters or other shit to worry about other than colliding with traffic and the occasional wall.  I think too many soccer moms probably complained about the game encouraging people to drive crazy and that's probably why they don't do it anymore

I used to watch my brother play NFS III: Hot Pursuit and NFS: High Stakes back in the day on PS1
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

jord wrote:

Sisco wrote:

I didn't, the physics made no sense. The driving physics in GTA4 (a game that came out years earlier) are far more solid, and that game isn't even a racing game.

the first one was pretty popular during my deployment.  people would by ps2's just to play that game.
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.

eleven bravo wrote:

jord wrote:

Sisco wrote:

the first one was pretty popular during my deployment.  people would by ps2's just to play that game.
car customization n ting blad, what wiv dat fast and fury ting mekin a bad boi intro to dat ere racing ting
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock

_j5689_ wrote:

I just want them to make another Underground, everything they make now is either safety McAutotrack bullshit or copying off the newer The Fast & The Furious concepts and other silly crap.  Underground is a lot like that too but it was just simple street racing, no cops or helicopters or other shit to worry about other than colliding with traffic and the occasional wall.  I think too many soccer moms probably complained about the game encouraging people to drive crazy and that's probably why they don't do it anymore

I used to watch my brother play NFS III: Hot Pursuit and NFS: High Stakes back in the day on PS1
The NFS series was wayyyyy better before underground. Underground came along BECAUSE of Fast and Furious.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6314

jord wrote:

Sisco wrote:

Dunno, I played it mostly with my BFF and it was hella fun. Beating each others times, trying to take down others as cops, had a great time. It was far more WipeOut than a racing game though, but I didn´t mind
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6529|Hungary
My favs:

NFS 2
NFS 2 SE
NFS 4
NFS 5 Porsche
NFS 6 Hot Pursuit 2
NFS Underground
NFS Underground 2
NFS Most Wanted
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA

Adams_BJ wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

The NFS series was wayyyyy better before underground. Underground came along BECAUSE of Fast and Furious.
Exactly - EA essentially morphs NFS each year into whatever they think is the most popular with teenagers, and from 2001-2003, FnF movies were the hot shit at the time.

2010's Hot Pursuit was, in most respects, a test game to see if Burnout's developers were good enough to either replace or alternate with Black Box and the Shift developers. They picked HP to appease the older NFS crowd, and while it's fun in its own respects, plays much more like Burnout then any of the old NFS games.

The series has already become shit compared to the 90's era games, but I'll agree that NFS:U2 and NFS:MW are the best games to come from the series within the last 10 years, and I'd like to see a properly made U3 or MW2, but I doubt it will ever been done. (Remember Undercover? That game was suppose to be the "new MW" but words cannot even describe how shitty that game was).
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
I know a someone who has been fairly involed with the nfs series for awhile. They have 9 months from starting work till it is on the shelf apparently. And they are given a list of stuff to include in the game that is impossible to achieve. A big portion of their job is sorting out the parts they have to cut from that list and convincing the board of why.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard