baggs
+732|6174
As per the title, i'll be buying my first set of skis some time in the next couple of months. I'm relatively new to skiing but apparently i'm a very fast learner (according to the guy who was teaching me) so i want a pair that i'll be able to progress on, possibly quite quickly and at a reasonable price. I think i want slalom(?) skis or something that will cover the most typical types of skiing.

I weigh around 80 kilos and approx 180cm tall.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
Maybe rent them until you're actually good at it?
baggs
+732|6174

Kampframmer wrote:

Maybe rent them until you're actually good at it?
How do i quantify being good at skiing? When i stop snow ploughing and leave blue slopes?
baggs you outta just go ask for a pair of demos to borrow before you go buying them
baggs
+732|6174
something like Salomon Enduro? Which I can buy at my local ski shop where I bought my boots.
baggs
+732|6174

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

baggs you outta just go ask for a pair of demos to borrow before you go buying them
Yeah someone else recommended that to me, its difficult to do that in England tho, i figured if i bought a pair of good all rounders i would be good to go for a season or two.
baggs
+732|6174

-Whiteroom- wrote:

without knowing much about skiing, I would say no to those, seems only gorby renters have those things. You would probably progress beyond them in a month or two, and skis ain't cheap.

More than a few of the guys I work with are fanatical skiers, I'll check with a couple of them tonight.
Many thanks!

If it makes any difference, ive been learning to ski on some Volkl P40 Energyrails (kindy lent by the family we stay with in Germany), seemed to get on quite well with those tho i know they are a race ski, correct?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
Honestly don't buy skis yet. I would wait until you are competent at black slopes before investing in skis, unless your loaded in which case go crazy.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6628|BC, Canada
So, the Salomon Lord or Salomon Shogun were recommeded as great all around skis. Probably the lords.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5453|Bolingbrook, Illinois
ditch them and get a snowboard

but in all seriousness, i rented snowboards for like the first 10 years that i boarded.  didn't buy myself a snowboard until i turned 16

but if you plan on going a lot, you'll save a lot of money if you just decide to buy some skis now instead of renting.  unfortunately i don't know anything about skiing so i can't help you there
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Well it depends on your ability level, budget, where you want to go with them (discipline wise), what sort of snow you ski on, and how often you want to upgrade.

I sell Salomons and Rossignols here at my shop, so I could tell you a fair bit about most of them.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6281

<3 my Atomic slalom racing skis. I'm 187cm tall and the skis are 165cm.

If you can find a pair of used racing skis, I'd highly recommend getting them. They're heaver than generic ones and are much better at helping you stay in control when carving.

Edit: dammit Adams...I just realized this thread was a month old

Last edited by bugz (2012-02-03 15:46:06)

Adams_BJ

bugz wrote:

<3 my Atomic slalom racing skis. I'm 187cm tall and the skis are 165cm.

If you can find a pair of used racing skis, I'd highly recommend getting them. They're heaver than generic ones and are much better at helping you stay in control when carving.

Edit: dammit Adams...I just realized this thread was a month old
GIANT

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6281

6'2" isn't THAT big
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6628|BC, Canada
tis. I consider my 5`11" a bit tall for snowboarding.
Adams_BJ
Im 180. I dont know what that comes to in the old scale, some say 5'10", some say up to 6'. Depends on the day how tall I am I guess
Adams_BJ
So what'd yougo with
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
google says 5'11''
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Adams_BJ