• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • PC is suddenly turning off, slight smell of burning with it.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6346|Belfast
It happened for the second time a few minutes ago, I noticed the burning then. This also happened two days ago in similar circumstances but I didn't think that much of it, but the burning smell is worrying me.   

The burning smell only seems to be coming from the PSU plug. I assume that the PSU the culprit. Would the fact that I recently upgraded my HDD change anything? I didn't think that they would draw much power.

Specs:

Pentium D 3.0 GHz
2GB RAM
8600GT 512mb
2TB + 150GB HDD
450W PSU

EDIT: PSU is definately dead, won't power up again.

Last edited by henno13 (2012-01-03 12:34:00)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4966|Dundee, Scotland.

henno13 wrote:

It happened for the second time a few minutes ago, I noticed the burning then. This also happened two days ago in similar circumstances but I didn't think that much of it, but the burning smell is worrying me.   

The burning smell only seems to be coming from the PSU plug. I assume that the PSU the culprit. Would the fact that I recently upgraded my HDD change anything? I didn't think that they would draw much power.

Specs:

Pentium D 3.0 GHz
2GB RAM
8600GT 512mb
2TB +
450W PSU
Pentium D. There's yer problem.

How old is the psu?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black
Why do people find it necessary to quote a very long OP when they're the first person replying? Boggles the mind.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6346|Belfast

Camm wrote:

henno13 wrote:

Specs:

Pentium D 3.0 GHz
2GB RAM
8600GT 512mb
2TB +
450W PSU
Pentium D. There's yer problem.

How old is the psu?
About four years now, the computer was my friends and he got it around at the end of 2007. I've had a couple of problems with it, but nothing this bad.

The computer won't even power up now, it's definatley dead. Thankfully, it didn't take anything with it since I took the tiny HDD out to pull some work off of it.

What are some good PSU brands where I don't have to spend a lot to get a PSU of decent quality?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4966|Dundee, Scotland.
Corsair cx series.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada
for around 40 bucks you can get a cheap 500w psu from a trustworthy brand. A Coolermaster Elite, Corsair Builder series, or a cheap Fortune, Seasonic, or Enermax. Maybe one of the XFX ones. For that rig, I wouldn't get anything more.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Probably shouldn't try starting a computer up again when smelling smoke...but it's old, so w/e.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6790|Jupiter

Finray wrote:

Why do people find it necessary to quote a very long OP when they're the first person replying? Boggles the mind.
https://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/53672.png
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • PC is suddenly turning off, slight smell of burning with it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard