Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Some nice leather gloves can save your hands, as well as a place to store the thing to cure after applying finish.
They can, they can also get your whole hand sucked into a machine.

Power tools are unforgiving, not the things to be playing around with after a hard week at the office when you're unfamiliar with them.
You can make anything you want with hand tools, its just time consuming.

Woodwork can be very frustrating if you're trying to do fine joinery, one slip and you ruin weeks/months of work.

I trained in fine joinery, but have spent the vast bulk of my handiwork time doing basic carpentry and some furniture repair.
Fixing up damaged furniture can be rewarding, and is a lot quicker than building from scratch. Its possible to add reasonable value that way.

I don't know what courses/workshops Jay will have available, but as other people have said once you're in and trained on the equipment often there are ways of gaining access when you want, and much cheaper than buying all the gear upfront. Our local TAFEs allow a year of use once you've done a course, or so I've heard.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-12-30 18:36:47)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Some nice leather gloves can save your hands, as well as a place to store the thing to cure after applying finish.
They can, they can also get your whole hand sucked into a machine.

Power tools are unforgiving, not the things to be playing around with after a hard week at the office when you're unfamiliar with them.
You can make anything you want with hand tools, its just time consuming.

Woodwork can be very frustrating if you're trying to do fine joinery, one slip and you ruin weeks/months of work.

I trained in fine joinery, but have spent the vast bulk of my handiwork time doing basic carpentry and some furniture repair.
Fixing up damaged furniture can be rewarding, and is a lot quicker than building from scratch. Its possible to add reasonable value that way.

I don't know what courses/workshops Jay will have available, but as other people have said once you're in and trained on the equipment often there are ways of gaining access when you want, and much cheaper than buying all the gear upfront. Our local TAFEs allow a year of use once you've done a course, or so I've heard.
Perhaps I should have also specified to avoid putting your fingers in the path of a cutting or grinding tool. Common sense stuff like tying up long hair or not wearing loose clothing is sort of common sense around machinery.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, gloves and overalls can seem like a good idea though, often they aren't.
BVC
+325|6665
I'm in the process of building a mame cabinet using 18mm MDF at the moment.  The tools I'm using are:
- Circular saw w/max 45-degree tilt
- Jig saw
- Palm sander
- Square
- Pencil
- Ruler
- Tape measure

And I'll need to use a heat gun on this edging I've got.  I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
They won't let us wear gloves when operating any of the heavy equipment in the machine shop at school.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I take off all my clothes when I use my 12" compound sliding miter saw. 

push me and then just touch me
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pubic wrote:

I'm in the process of building a mame cabinet using 18mm MDF at the moment.  The tools I'm using are:
- Circular saw w/max 45-degree tilt
- Jig saw
- Palm sander
- Square
- Pencil
- Ruler
- Tape measure

And I'll need to use a heat gun on this edging I've got.  I'll post some pics when I'm done.
You need a mask, MDF dust is nasty, many work sites don't allow it any more.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

But just as often, they are (gloves, that is; screw overalls). Again, common sense.

Dilbert_X wrote:

You need a mask, MDF dust is nasty, many work sites don't allow it any more.
What's wrong with inhaling just a teeny weeny bit of formaldehyde?

e: I'd like to add that if there's going to be a lot of cutting going on, having something like a shop fox dust collector to suck up all the dust is a must for your own sanity.
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

I try to work my wood at least once a day...

...if you catch my drift.

https://mikesdriftwood.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/driftwood.jpg
VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But just as often, they are (gloves, that is; screw overalls). Again, common sense.
Still see a LOT of people using gloves to hold small pieces of metal while working on a pedestal grinder...
Even if they have a wire wheel, touching it will generally barely make you bleed if its a tap...
We wear gloves because the leather is tougher then skin, but this also means that anything that can snag and pull will likely tear through skin or break skin, while simply grabbing a glove. Sounds bad, but much better to lose a small bit of skin then to have your hand twisted up in a spinning tool. I have seen stuff as innocent as toilet snakes knock someone over and damn near snap their wrist when their glove got caught.

General rule of thumb, that is damn near always right: Spinning tools, no gloves or lose clothing/hair (includes things like no sleeves at the extreme ends) even if its counter intuitive. Its all about not having anything that can get snagged.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2012-01-04 18:02:29)

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
If everything fails, a good choice is a map to the next IKEA store.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

globefish23 wrote:

IKEA is total trash.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4524|Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Jay wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

IKEA is total trash.
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6542

the scottish think IKEA make amazing furniture
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4524|Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Toilet Sex wrote:

the scottish think IKEA make amazing furniture
why do they make sheep skin doors with a gloryhole?
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359

globefish23 wrote:

If everything fails, a good choice is a map to the next IKEA store emergency room.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
ikea sells little daim bars they're very nice (-:
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
13/f/taiwan
+940|5669

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

Jay wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

IKEA is total trash.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California

globefish23 wrote:

Just make sure you go you in you also have a map of the way back out!

BAM!
IKEA JOKES!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

IKEA isn't trash, it's just cheap
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not so bad, its functional and cheap.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Just make sure you go you in you also have a map of the way back out!
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/Gifs%20and%20Forums/scratch.gif
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

VicktorVauhn wrote:

General rule of thumb, that is damn near always right: Spinning tools, no gloves or lose clothing/hair (includes things like no sleeves at the extreme ends) even if its counter intuitive. Its all about not having anything that can get snagged.
Of course, I'm still going to use my leather gloves while only dinking around with a 24v cordless drill.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

a plank of wood and two cinder blocks is functional too.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

a plank of wood and two cinder blocks is functional too.
particle board gives a particularly nice worn-in "saggy" look.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard