Heretic
+3|6774
Hello people. Been months since I visited this site. Still rocks !
Now to the problem.

Been offline for quite a bit. When I returned I noticed EA was at the 1.22 patch so I downloaded it. I did not download all the previous patches and install them first like required with some games, I just grabbed the whole 200+ mb patch. After installing and rebooting I joined a server. I just got a 6600 256mb card about 3 months ago. After using a 5700 for over 2 years I was almost giddy with laughter knowing that I could use some lighting effects and shadows for the first time.

Then after running around on a few levels I noticed that something was horribly wrong as the pic I inserted will show. ( If I figure out how to insert a pic... sry... )

Tried the drivers that came with the card, the newest whql drivers from nvidia and even a few 6600 specific
drivers. Same problem persists.

Can anyone elaborate on this problem ? It is a real piss off to go from all low settings on the 5700 geforce to my current 6600 with settings on medium but with this weird graphical tearing. Happens on just about every map, bf2 and SF.

Thanks for the help.
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6676|Denver, CO

Heretic wrote:

Then after running around on a few levels I noticed that something was horribly wrong as the pic I inserted will show. ( If I figure out how to insert a pic... sry... )
you can go to Putfile to host your images for free.

As far as the problem try this, it's the easiest possible solution:

Koroush Ghazi wrote:

Clearing Shader Optimizations: When you change the graphical settings BF2 attempts to optimize the shaders used in the game for the best performance on your particular hardware. These optimized files are stored in your \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\ directory. If you've changed your settings several times, I recommend you finalize your changes, close BF2, go to the above directory and delete everything under the \cache\ directory. The next time you start the game and play single or multiplayer, your shaders will be optimized again. Close BF2 one more time, defragment your hard drive, and now things should be much smoother and load much faster the next time you go to play BF2.
if it doesn't ... search around the forum for Graphic Card Problems... there're tonns of threads about this
Heretic
+3|6774
Thank you very much mac. I will try that process tonight before bed. Also thank you for the directions regarding the pics and the card problems.  There they are !
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6676|Denver, CO
that is FREAKY lol first one looks badass
Janysc
+59|6680|Norway
That's frightening, really.
vjs
+19|6768
I had that problem a few times on my 9800pro, basically it boils down to heat issue or lack of power.

It was happening to me when I overclocked the card a little too much.

Check you graphics card fan, case fans etc, they may be bungged up with dirt. Also it's a little hotter now almost summer, is your case temps to high. In direct sunlight etc.

Hope this helps.
Heretic
+3|6774
Cool Cool. Thanks for the replies people. My pc lies in my basement that never warms up. Also, playing any other games do not produce undesired results. [ Far Cry, SWAT 4, Rome:Total War ]
Only BF2 acts strangely like seen in those pics and only after I apply the patch. If I remove the game and install it again while keeping it stock and play offline being patchless she runs great. I will open the box up and snoop around. For now, I'll blame EA. I really hope it's not the power box. I only have one case fan running.

I downloaded and installed the patch 2 times thinking I got a crap file transfer, have never overclocked anything in my pc and sunlight don't make it to my case during the day. Strange...

PC Specs

AMD 3000+
6600 256mb
1 gig Ram

I know I said thanks lots but F U ! I'll say it again. 

Thank you people.
IC_Draconis
+9|6715
It happens to me but only with Empire at War on high screen and  texture resolution.

Try these:

- Set the texture quality to medium or low...maybe this will help....and run as a test in 800x600.

- Check the videocard's fan...if it's dusty it will overheat

- What's your card? AGP or PCI-E, 6600 series has both versions. (If AGP, set the AGP aperture size to the max in BIOS)

...and keep informing us...maybe together we can solve it.

Ps: After the last patch the game started to overhaul most mid-range video cards...it's "normal"...but your 6600 should still handle it.

Last edited by IC_Draconis (2006-05-23 10:25:51)

Heretic
+3|6774
Cool cool Draconis. Here's the latest, and it's good news. I reformatted today because I had a virus [ Trojan Horse] about a month ago and had to use 6 floppys to boot from off the HD. When doing that I had strange errors while windows was installing. Some .dll files would not install. I was getting dll is damaged or corrupt messages or something along those lines. Was the first time in my formatting HDs life I got such errors from an installation process. I beleive that was the problem. About 6 of the win. dll's failed to install. So here I am, playing BF2 1.3 and it is running smooth as glass and I'm even getting more graphics out of my system with over 30 fps always.

Card is AGP. As for the graphics changing every patch, I learned that the hard way. I bought BF2 the day it was released and was running a 5700. After the second patch there were nice shinny textures on everything, even concrete had that glossy look. The 5700 would not run the game anymore. Was always running at below 30 fps. Even on 640x480 everything on low ! Lol.

I have yet to hit the levels that had major issues yet... I'm hoping for the best.

As for my power source, I installed ASUS Probe from the motherboard disc and my power is running just under or at the max output of this 450 watt power box.  It is close...

Stats : +12 volts - Value = 11.776                                                 
          +5 volts - Value = 4.999

Might disconnect the chassis fan seeing as my pc is in a cool basement. Even in the summer it is cool down here. Should the problem resurface I will be stunned and will let ya know.

Thank you for the reply.
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6629|Derby, England

Heretic wrote:

Hello people. Been months since I visited this site. Still rocks !
Now to the problem.

Been offline for quite a bit. When I returned I noticed EA was at the 1.22 patch so I downloaded it. I did not download all the previous patches and install them first like required with some games, I just grabbed the whole 200+ mb patch. After installing and rebooting I joined a server. I just got a 6600 256mb card about 3 months ago. After using a 5700 for over 2 years I was almost giddy with laughter knowing that I could use some lighting effects and shadows for the first time.

Tried the drivers that came with the card, the newest whql drivers from nvidia and even a few 6600 specific
drivers. Same problem persists.

Can anyone elaborate on this problem ? It is a real piss off to go from all low settings on the 5700 geforce to my current 6600 with settings on medium but with this weird graphical tearing. Happens on just about every map, bf2 and SF.

Thanks for the help.
Can you check your graphics settings bro ? make sure they not runing on med or high, if they do change it to low.

Peace Boris
IC_Draconis
+9|6715

Heretic wrote:

Thank you for the reply.
My pleasure:)

Edit: 1 more thing...though it's for "newborn" PC users...always disable silent runnig/noise reduction for the HDs in the BIOS...it reduces rpm for the HDs...and never let your HD switch off while you play BF2.

Last edited by IC_Draconis (2006-05-24 06:00:52)

Heretic
+3|6774
......                                                        The problem remains... sigh...

Trying to upload a file to putfiles showing all graphics on low settings, but I'm to impatient to wait. I'll post it later tonight in my sig. I've tried almost everything in this thread... this is really aggreavating. Not sure where to go from here.

Guess I'll... I don't know what now...

This is by far the best damn gamming community in the world. We all know it's impossible to get any kind of help from game publishers, if not for you people I would still be thinking I'm all alone in this online world.

Thank you everyone. Seems I am the only one with this issue right now. Next step... assume it is a physical problem, hardware I mean.  Maybe I'll just wait for the PS3 and play out my Gliched BF2 days. Grrr.

Pistachio
+0|6543
Can you post the spec's for your Power supply?
Like how many wats on the +12v rail or rails?

It shouldn't be droping below 11.80 , if it does then you have a crappy power supply that you might want to replace .

Only two things you can do.

1) replace power supply and see if it still happens. (get one with atleast 30A on +12v Rail or  around 18-20A on both +12v rails)

2) Try that video card in another system and see if same thing happens or
If that card is made by eVGA you could always get a replacement card but might take few weeks.
Heretic
+3|6774
http://www.solleron.com.tw/Web/PD-Power-ATX2035FA.htm

The power supply I am running. I still can't load files into putfile, figures...when I need it most.

Sorry about those numbers but your PC knowledge far exceeds mine. You lost me at  Rail or Rails.

Can't try the card in another PC unless I wrangle a local PC shop to help me... yea right. I just moved to a new city. I'll see what I can do there.

The card is an MSI Nvidia. My 5700 was Asus. As I mentioned before this is the only game I am have issues with right now. Every other game I own runs great, no problems.

lowest I have seen on the +12 volt meter = 11.84

Thank you Pistachio for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
Pistachio
+0|6543
Your power supply has two rails   +12V1 (10A)  +12V2  (15A) , the 12V1 is one rail  and 12V2 is another rail.

Are you having ASUS probe record the voltage while you play?
If you haven't , try recording while you play then see if the +12V drops below 11.80 .

Could be bad power supply causing it or bad video card, you might want to contact MSI support and see  if they have any ideas for you to try, if all else fails then ask them about RMA that card.
Heretic
+3|6774
Hello again. Sorry about the delay of my reply, I have been in and out of town for quite some time.

With the hopes of returning this post to active status... here is the latest.

Uninstalled everything BF2 related. Installed BF2 only, no SF or booster packs. Without the patch, runs great.
Install 1.3, POW ! The problem surfaces.

I'm going to record those power readings tonight and post the results tomorrow. And that's about it.

Thanks. Later.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard