Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
is everyone here really into foo fighters that much? like really?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
i like their older stuff yep
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney
Yeah, I'm a bit gutted I missed them. Financial constraints and all. Some of the tracks from their new album are wicked.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
older stuff yeah, but i'd feel a bit sore paying a foo fighters stadium concert ticket price to hear the same generic concert-tour rock for 3 hours. but i guess if that's what you're interested in...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
Yeah, well I kinda feel the same way about electronic music these days. 5-7 years ago I had a phase where I'd go out and have a great night till 8am, now it bores me a lot of the time. Prefer live music played by musicians.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
i love a gig with live instruments but foo fighters wouldn't be anywhere near my top choice. generic rock music as an example of fine live instruments? really? i'd sooner go to a jazz lounge than stand in a stadium watching dave grohl play three chords.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6742

Got my tickets to Lana Del Hype, she's does have some great music though.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney

Uzique wrote:

i love a gig with live instruments but foo fighters wouldn't be anywhere near my top choice. generic rock music as an example of fine live instruments? really? i'd sooner go to a jazz lounge than stand in a stadium watching dave grohl play three chords.
It's rock music man, don't bring jazz into this because they are quite different both in composition and delivery (fwiw I played in a couple jazz bands for eight years or so, and teach jazz theory to my bass students). It's like comparing apples to oranges. I happen to like both apples and oranges.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
i'm just saying, i find rock music quite a dull live experience. but then again just as you're bored of that long-dance-hypnosis that you get at electronic events, i'm bored of being all angsty and adolescent and going to gigs to jump up and down and shout really loudly

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-15 15:28:39)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

If you're standing in a stadium just watching a rock concert you're doing it wrong. Zeek you know it's more than just the music, it's about the experience; the excitement of the crowd, feeling the energy of the band, fighting against the mosh pit and on top of that hearing and seeing a good band do what they do best and loving it. Music's not just something you listen to or watch it's something you feel, that's the same for all genres. Rock may not be your thing, that's absolutely fine. Now the Foo Fighters may be generic rock but so what? They're certainly good at generic rock and they're great performers. They have the experience and skill to bring a great show, few other performers can do that.

There are good rock bands and musicians who are more experimental, who write and play good music while keeping it fresh - but how many of them can fill a stadium with a crowd and get them so into it that local geoscientists get concerned?

Also the Foo Fighters have always been good to NZ, they come here frequently, (as do Dave Grohl's other bands,) and like I said came on a whim to do a benefit show for Christchurch shortly after the earthquake. I will very happily support a band like that. They are part of a small dwindling group of universal modern rock bands who have long been suffocated by electronic loops and voice-altered skanks. If I seem to be acting overly defensive that is why.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
like i just said i'm not excited anymore by 'mosh-pits' or pushing and being pushed around in a big crowd of sweaty men. i feel as though i got all of that out of me when i was 16.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

Yeah, and that's cool. I didn't really get all that much of it here in NZ when I was growing up, not many big acts and fewer non-18+ ones. I'm quite happy to brave the mosh pits in my mid-20s onwards, (there were some 40+ year olds I swear.) What the Hell right? We're the adults, we get to decide what that means.

Either way I was intimate with more fat mens' armpits on Tuesday night than I hopefully will ever be again. You take the good with the bad.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
haha. can't deny they're good popular entertainers and put on a great live show. but i was under the impression some people here keep going back to see them repeat times. to me they're a great band at what they do but what they 'do' is something that kinda stagnated about 8 years ago in their hey-day. thus i wouldn't want to pay a stadium-concert price to see them 2-3 times.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
I've never seen Foo Fighters live. They are on my must-see-one-day list though.

Seen Tool three times, loved it every time. First time was around where the sound marquee was at the Big Day Out in 2007 whilst high on E with 50,000 other punters, no where near the mosh. Second time was at the same festival but this time front and centre on the barrier earlier this year. Third time was the following night at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, second from front row seats with my mum and one of my best mates (yes, my mum loves Tool too. She's also coming to see System of a Down with me, again we're seated in row AA this time ). Got a poster signed by the whole band which I then framed and now hangs above my bed

So that's an example of a band I've seen multiple times and would do so again. I don't particularly enjoy getting jostled around in the mosh and got the whole crowd surfing thing out of my system ten years ago. But I love a great rock band and always will. I like getting up close to feel the energy of the performance, the atmosphere of the crowd and the sweat from the musicians on stage. I've found if you can get very close then you avoid the fuckwits trying to smash into each other and you basically stay in the same spot and try to not suffocate whilst waiting for those around you to get overwhelmed by the heat and sweat and bail, then you can get even closer. I feel fucked afterwards but it's either get uber close or stand back at the sound desk where you can hear everything the best.

As for electronic music, I don't know many people who are into it and those who are don't tend to gravitate towards dark trance and/or drum n bass (my two favourite genres), and those I do invite to events that always seem to clash with something else. I guess living in Brisbane and seeing some of the Gold Coast white trash that totally fill these sorts of events has turned me off going entirely.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
australia and nz are years behind the rest of the world in music though (no offence) so it doesn't surprise me ^ about electronic scene. you're probably still having a glow-stick rave period like england had in 92 and america had in 98 or something. i guess a lot of music taste is geographically-dictated, even today in the age of the internet; live gigs just exemplify this. living in london (and europe, generally) the electronic music scene is fantastic, at both the dance and experimental ends of the scale. you don't really get that in the states (except for a small scene in los angeles and the usual chicago/detroit stuff - even new york is pitiful) so you definitely wouldn't get it in aussie land. if all i could attend were shitty raves and crappy dance events i'd probably not be into dance music, either. i guess on the rock gig front, the uk had its 'britpop' phase and then 'uk indie' rebirth a few years ago, pretty much when i was going from the age of 13-18, so i feel pretty burnt out on the whole arty/indie/metal/shoegaze live gig scene. it all seems a bit pantomime to me nowadays.
hocSiciliano
+6|4554|New York
Not a big concert guy but the last one I went to and I would be fully content with it being my last based on how good it was was seeing Dave Matthews Band at Bethel Woods a summer or two ago. Absolutely amazing show.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney

Uzique wrote:

australia and nz are years behind the rest of the world in music though (no offence) so it doesn't surprise me ^ about electronic scene. you're probably still having a glow-stick rave period like england had in 92 and america had in 98 or something. i guess a lot of music taste is geographically-dictated, even today in the age of the internet; live gigs just exemplify this. living in london (and europe, generally) the electronic music scene is fantastic, at both the dance and experimental ends of the scale. you don't really get that in the states (except for a small scene in los angeles and the usual chicago/detroit stuff - even new york is pitiful) so you definitely wouldn't get it in aussie land. if all i could attend were shitty raves and crappy dance events i'd probably not be into dance music, either. i guess on the rock gig front, the uk had its 'britpop' phase and then 'uk indie' rebirth a few years ago, pretty much when i was going from the age of 13-18, so i feel pretty burnt out on the whole arty/indie/metal/shoegaze live gig scene. it all seems a bit pantomime to me nowadays.
I wouldn't say we're behind the world at all when it comes to music in a general sense, but our geographical location and population makes it a lot less likely for artists to make the trek out this way (but if this is what you are implying then yes, I do agree). It's obviously much easier for a touring artist/band to do a European tour to dozens of cities and a much larger audience than it is to tour Australia (which getting here alone costs much more) and then tour 4-5 cities. Glow stick raves were about ten years ago so we're not all that far behind the 8-ball, but we do only really attract more mainstream and/or globally successful artists out this way. And I think it's recognised globally (at least from my observations) that UK and EU really is the hub of electronic music. That's why Pendulum left my home town of Fremantle years ago, changed their style and are now a huge band internationally (and based in the UK obviously). They were smart with their business sense AND make good music.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6742

Uzique wrote:

australia and nz are years behind the rest of the world in music though (no offence) so it doesn't surprise me ^ about electronic scene. you're probably still having a glow-stick rave period like england had in 92 and america had in 98 or something. i guess a lot of music taste is geographically-dictated, even today in the age of the internet; live gigs just exemplify this. living in london (and europe, generally) the electronic music scene is fantastic, at both the dance and experimental ends of the scale.
Unfortunately this is true, we don't have a 'scene' where electronic artists can prosper in this country. Most of them are resigned to being smaller acts or taking a seriously long time to gain popularity. Here electronica is a fringe genre of music, whereas in Europe (from what I understand) it's more accepted.

That said, I don't think we're far behind in terms of the quality of groups/individuals that are produced. There are actually quite a few great Australian acts out there, if you just dig hard enough.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
I think with electronic music the good stuff can be harder to find here. That said I did once go to Winter Enchanted in Adelaide some years ago. 12 hours of drum n bass and hard trance at an indoor skate park with some 7,000 people in attendance. Can't remember names of acts but there were quite a few EU and UK djs, it was wicked!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471

Jaekus wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I wouldn't say we're behind the world at all when it comes to music in a general sense, but our geographical location and population makes it a lot less likely for artists to make the trek out this way (but if this is what you are implying then yes, I do agree). It's obviously much easier for a touring artist/band to do a European tour to dozens of cities and a much larger audience than it is to tour Australia (which getting here alone costs much more) and then tour 4-5 cities. Glow stick raves were about ten years ago so we're not all that far behind the 8-ball, but we do only really attract more mainstream and/or globally successful artists out this way. And I think it's recognised globally (at least from my observations) that UK and EU really is the hub of electronic music. That's why Pendulum left my home town of Fremantle years ago, changed their style and are now a huge band internationally (and based in the UK obviously). They were smart with their business sense AND make good music.
the case for an aussie/nz act to blow up in the rest of the world is incredibly rare though, and pendulum are actually a testament to the thing im talking about with australia always being several years behind. pendulum built their own local scene in breakbeat music (was it in melbourne? brisbane? i don't know much about pendulum, surprisingly) - breakbeat being a kind of music that was ooooold news in europe, who were by that stage well over the whole dnb/breaks/jungle thing. but it was still relevant in australia. then all of a sudden you have pendulum blowing up in europe and america with this sound that is, in a weird sense, a complete revival-- at that time the most popular d&b in europe was probably liquid d&b, which is like a late jazz/lounge-music phase of d&b with all of the real club energy sucked out of it. pendulum came along and reintroduced a breakbeat-dominated sound and everyone went nuts for it again. their popularity is an exception to the rule, though, but their stylistic and generic example is a good one of what i'm talking about, here.

another example (though only anecdotal) is that my friend spent a few weeks in NZ after graduating and then came back talking about all the 'big' songs out there... you know, the tracks that get infinite radioplay loop on 'rock' stations, or whatever. one of them was basically this reggae/surfer type acoustic deal with a singer/band (can't remember which) that are simply massive out there. it also had this really corny feel-good message in its lyrics, and a really sentimental over-done music video to suit. didn't america have its corporate surfer-rock thing like 10 years ago? and reggae based rhythms/sounds? really? none of this stuff would sell in europe in this day and age, it's all been done. as you said the isolationism is definitely the key factor here... almost like island gigantism for music: you end up with an extremely closed off, magnified music scene of your own (e.g. think of ty posting links to rockbands that he considers to be 'giants' down under - nobody else in the rest of the world has ever heard or read of them literally once), and you are also largely oblivious to 'current' trends in electronic music. it wouldn't surprise me if right now you're having some sort of 'dubstep' vogue in the worst way possible, i.e. the north american way. even though over here dubstep was a done-thing and nobody wanted to talk about it and artists/dj's vehemently denied wanting to even be associated with it in like... 2009.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-17 04:13:10)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471

Jaekus wrote:

I think with electronic music the good stuff can be harder to find here. That said I did once go to Winter Enchanted in Adelaide some years ago. 12 hours of drum n bass and hard trance at an indoor skate park with some 7,000 people in attendance. Can't remember names of acts but there were quite a few EU and UK djs, it was wicked!
mentioning "hard trance" in the timespan of "a few years ago"... in europe you had better be talking about a decade, cause hard trance is some cheesy shit over here. unless you're dutch. for some reason - even though they're completely geographically located and are actually in between london and berlin (the world's two premier electronic cities, arguably) - the dutch are still absolutely fucking obsessed with trance, hardcore, rave, jump-up, etc. all this extreme end of the rave spectrum that was but a flash in the mdma-sick drenched pan in the 90's. fuck knows, i think the entire music-critic establishment scratches their heads when it comes to the netherlands. mind you, they still consider dressing people in shoe polish and calling them 'negro pete' a key part of their christmas festivities, so that shows you just how modern they are. bloody savages.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-17 04:14:26)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4843|Amsterdam

Uzique wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

mentioning "hard trance" in the timespan of "a few years ago"... in europe you had better be talking about a decade, cause hard trance is some cheesy shit over here. unless you're dutch. for some reason - even though they're completely geographically located and are actually in between london and berlin (the world's two premier electronic cities, arguably) - the dutch are still absolutely fucking obsessed with trance, hardcore, rave, jump-up, etc. all this extreme end of the rave spectrum that was but a flash in the mdma-sick drenched pan in the 90's. fuck knows, i think the entire music-critic establishment scratches their heads when it comes to the netherlands. mind you, they still consider dressing people in shoe polish and calling them 'negro pete' a key part of their christmas festivities, so that shows you just how modern they are. bloody savages.
hahahahahahaha.
Sad but true. My country has yet to get passed the whole fast bass > proper sound fad. If you see old footage from hardcore or hard trance parties from the 90's (here) they still look the same, only people dress a bit differently (not too different mind you!).
Electronic music here is shit, i will never, ever deny it. The netherlands has yet to produce a line of original DJ's and producers that know what they're doing and are up-to-date in the electronic music scene from London and Berlin.
All mainstream venue's here will play you such beautiful classics as 'Like a G6' and many others like it. Go to a live dance festival (those things are still big here) and you can stand around in the mud from 11 to 11 listening to shitty music on a shitty system from a couple dozen feet away whilst being surrounded by sweaty, tracksuit wearing cunts, popping pills like they're m&m's.
it's is even worse in the big cities, the best electronic 'gig' (it was a small bar with a tiny stage) i've been to was in the south of the country where no other person from Amsterdam would venture, due to a bloated self-esteem coming from living in what they perceive as 'the greatest city on earth for electronic music'.

I'm sorry to say that I don't like the electronic music here any more than you do.

And it's black Peter.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
sorry didn't mean to offend your tradition! hahaha
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney

Uzique wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

It was in 2004 and I wasn't exactly in with the scene by any stretch, I just got more and more exposed to it. Friends of mine had been into it a good few more years than me - maybe 5 or so more.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney

Uzique wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Uzique wrote:

the case for an aussie/nz act to blow up in the rest of the world is incredibly rare though, and pendulum are actually a testament to the thing im talking about with australia always being several years behind. pendulum built their own local scene in breakbeat music (was it in melbourne? brisbane? i don't know much about pendulum, surprisingly) - breakbeat being a kind of music that was ooooold news in europe, who were by that stage well over the whole dnb/breaks/jungle thing. but it was still relevant in australia. then all of a sudden you have pendulum blowing up in europe and america with this sound that is, in a weird sense, a complete revival-- at that time the most popular d&b in europe was probably liquid d&b, which is like a late jazz/lounge-music phase of d&b with all of the real club energy sucked out of it. pendulum came along and reintroduced a breakbeat-dominated sound and everyone went nuts for it again. their popularity is an exception to the rule, though, but their stylistic and generic example is a good one of what i'm talking about, here.

another example (though only anecdotal) is that my friend spent a few weeks in NZ after graduating and then came back talking about all the 'big' songs out there... you know, the tracks that get infinite radioplay loop on 'rock' stations, or whatever. one of them was basically this reggae/surfer type acoustic deal with a singer/band (can't remember which) that are simply massive out there. it also had this really corny feel-good message in its lyrics, and a really sentimental over-done music video to suit. didn't america have its corporate surfer-rock thing like 10 years ago? and reggae based rhythms/sounds? really? none of this stuff would sell in europe in this day and age, it's all been done. as you said the isolationism is definitely the key factor here... almost like island gigantism for music: you end up with an extremely closed off, magnified music scene of your own (e.g. think of ty posting links to rockbands that he considers to be 'giants' down under - nobody else in the rest of the world has ever heard or read of them literally once), and you are also largely oblivious to 'current' trends in electronic music. it wouldn't surprise me if right now you're having some sort of 'dubstep' vogue in the worst way possible, i.e. the north american way. even though over here dubstep was a done-thing and nobody wanted to talk about it and artists/dj's vehemently denied wanting to even be associated with it in like... 2009.
I think you mean the John Butler Trio? First time I saw them play was in 2000 or 2001, just when they were breaking. I was well over them by 2004 as they get played to death.

Dubstep... ergh. People I know who aren't into electronic music are talking about it now, my old housemate a couple years ago is a trance dj (bit of dnb too) and he was over dubstep before I moved in with him around Easter 2009.

Of course, with the internet you can access all kinds of music and be at the bleeding edge of what is current and breaking in any part of the world. If you're talking about what is trending here, then I wouldn't know, I don't follow what's trending as I don't listen to the radio hardly at all any more as it is becoming more and more reminiscent of the late 80's with all the cheesy synths and limp pop.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard