krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North
hmmmm i didnt realise deer couldnt see you and run away, because they clearly dont have far better hearing and smell, thats just silly....

If you stay out of THEIR territory, they dont need to use their claws. Are u scared yet... ?

thats what my gun is for

oh and thanks to all those people who leave the negatives like "you need to be shot LOL!!!!!!" without their name attached, spineless cowards you are

Last edited by krazed (2006-05-22 00:35:50)

HisInfernalDeath
+23|6716|Belgium
LOL,

someone negative karma'd me with this sentence: "Oh please, go fuck a pig."
Haha, priceless.

Any experience with that m8 ??! Lawl.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA
Yeah, I find it amusing that some people only feel comfortable giving anonymous negative karma to someone they don't agree with instead of actually debating the subject...
Especially considering they leave such enlightened comments with the karma

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-05-22 07:36:28)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

gblanco wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

1. If you are a vegetarian, fine. Love and cuddle the animals.
I am not vegetarian.
Then you eat meat.

gblanco wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

2. If you eat meat, you must realize at some point that it was killed. Storebought meat is generally slaughtered in the most impersonal of fashions. Essentially, hunting ( even though you are generally using a bow or a rifle) is more sporting than binding a pig, hanging and slaughtering it.
I know this and don't aprove it.
Which don't you approve? Meat being eaten has to have died at some point, unless being consumed alive...which I needn't say is hardly more humane.

gblanco wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

4. If certain animal populations aren't culled every now and then, their land will eventually be unable to support their population. Death by disease and starvation are far less pleasant than a bullet in the heart.
I will let nature decide this.
There's more to culling than what you think. It isn't just meddlesome interference with nature. Left to overpopulate and die of disease and starvation, they will spread into other habitats, consume resources and spread their illness to other creatures. This is caused by lack of predators, but in their place, you have the hated human hunters.

What many people don't realize is that humans are also a part of nature. You could call a hammer as naturally-occuring as a beehive. Some environmentalists are a bit contradictory in their ignorance, such as setting animals in a mink farm free to roam in an inhospitable environment, starving to the point where they attack pets, children, and eventually turn to cannibalism and ultimately perish. "Well, at least they died free." Hah.

gblanco wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

6. If an animal was defenseless, it would never have survived evolution to this century.
I was talking about defenseless against a human with a gun.
It still has a chance to get away. The human could miss or, in the case of bigger game, the human could be mauled. However, there is no hope for a farm animal which is scheduled for slaughter.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-22 08:00:07)

Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6737|Houston, TX
As a former rifle hunter,  I've always eaten what I killed.  Even if I'm clearing vermin off the land, or culling a herd I've made product out of what I've taken down.  I don't believe in hunting for sport, and I don't even hunt with a rifle anymore.

My thoughts on this are that it's all part of a big balance.  Both the hunter and the hunted need to be in the mindset that everything is in moderation.  Sort of an ecobalance if you will.  There are certain I-just-like-to-kill-things breed of hunters.  But these types of hunters tend to throw off the balance if they enter into a system that can't tolerate the population decrease.  Again, it all comes down to balance, and respect for that balance.  Otherwise your just being selfish with your time here on this rock.  In example, I don't kill every time I go out, and it's not for lack of seeing prey.  As a matter of fact, sometimes I go out just to see the prey.  Kinda "walk the earth" mentality, and there is something to be said for observing a herd of deer run through the mist of a Texas sunrise.
Now before I get a bunch of "Hippie zen bastard -1",  I do love the hunt.  I've never hunted with anything more that a semi auto (prefer bolt action), and never fired more than two shots to kill. Since I retired rifle hunting, my preference is the stalk n shoot Hog bow hunting at 3 and 4 in the morning.  Bow hunting gives me an adequate handicap and gives the prey plenty of chances at eluding it's untimely demise.  I've got enough deer hunters down here in TX to supply me with year round venison and turkey (when in season).

All that typed out, I think hunting IS fun.  But the idea of the post was about the difference between killing without purpose, and hunting with productivity in mind.  Yes?

KJ
=|A mere Shadow|=
The Anarchist
+121|6618|Britain and Damn proud of it!
I go hunting from time to, to time, partly for the thrill of the hunt, and getting that perfect head-shot (instant death) i will hunt rabbits if they need to be culled and any i do kill i sell to my local butcher for around £3 depending on the size and weight, i also hunt rats due to the fact that there seems to be crap loads of em about and my Lil sister has guinea pigs, we have already lost one to the little buggers so i take vengeance in the best way i can...

But yeah i think as long you have a purpose for the kill, its fun, one thing im not too keen on is foxhunting, iv'e seen what those dogs do to those foxes and it aint pretty...

Last edited by =|A mere Shadow|= (2006-05-22 10:18:26)

yayo
+2|6568

gblanco wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

gblanco wrote:

I was reading a topic about gun control in this forum and most of them justify guns for hunting.
Then, I make myself this question.
Why is funny hunting an animal ?
I was educated to love and not hurt animals.
I really does not understand why killing an animal could be fun.
The animal it is not disturbing you.
You are not hunting because you are hungry.
What it's the fun in aiming a gun at an defenseless animal and shoot ?
It is fun to kill any kind of animal, or just some ?
Do you hunt because your parents were hunters ?
Maybe some hunters could anwser this question.
And please, answer this like adults, I am not trying to offense.
Now excuse me while I go home and kick my dog.
If you were educated to love and not hurt animals, then why do you spank your monkey still???????
Obviuosly you don't care about respect.
What you are saying is to make me feel bad ?
Do you really think that ? Well, go with your 12 years old and find other place to do it.
People like you should disappear from this forums.
Now, Go and ask your dog why you received -1 karma.
+1 for you.
Major_Spittle does not respect anything.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6754

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Then you eat meat.
I eat meat.
But I will not kill an animal to eat it.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Which don't you approve? Meat being eaten has to have died at some point, unless being consumed alive...which I needn't say is hardly more humane.
I don't aprove killing animals.
I will not do it.
When I say I don't aprove it is like saying, I don't aprove child abuse or any kind of abuse.
There are a lot of things I don't aprove and can't stop them, They will do it anyway.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's more to culling than what you think. It isn't just meddlesome interference with nature. Left to overpopulate and die of disease and starvation, they will spread into other habitats, consume resources and spread their illness to other creatures. This is caused by lack of predators, but in their place, you have the hated human hunters.

What many people don't realize is that humans are also a part of nature. You could call a hammer as naturally-occuring as a beehive. Some environmentalists are a bit contradictory in their ignorance, such as setting animals in a mink farm free to roam in an inhospitable environment, starving to the point where they attack pets, children, and eventually turn to cannibalism and ultimately perish. "Well, at least they died free." Hah.
I don't have this problems, So, I can't make an opinion about this.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It still has a chance to get away. The human could miss or, in the case of bigger game, the human could be mauled. However, there is no hope for a farm animal which is scheduled for slaughter.
farm animals grown to be scheduled for slaughter, that is the meat business.
The wild animals does not have the same chance as you.
You are going to kill the animal at distance, they can't do it the same way.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6754

Kung Jew wrote:

All that typed out, I think hunting IS fun.  But the idea of the post was about the difference between killing without purpose, and hunting with productivity in mind.  Yes?
KJ
Yes
Because I will never kill an animal, I was trying to understand what could be the reason for a hunter to do it.
There are a very good answers in this topic to know it.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6737|Houston, TX

gblanco wrote:

Kung Jew wrote:

KJ
Yes
Because I will never kill an animal, I was trying to understand what could be the reason for a hunter to do it.
There are a very good answers in this topic to know it.
The reason a hunter hunts?  You must look into the instincts and needs of the hunter.  Some do it because of the thrill of the hunt (sense of accomplishment in a challenging task).  Others because of survival instincts (the need for food and goods).

gblanco, I must ask how old you are, what diet you keep, and where you live?  Are you young (under 20)? Are you a meat eater? Where you live, is it urban-esque (city)?  Are you provided with food that is processed and fixed so as to minimize preparation and contact with raw materials?  Having lived in West Texas (very rural), the Negev Desert (Israel), and Downtown Houston (Urban city) my views are broad and I've witnessed many perspectives on this.  Maybe if you answered my questions, I could help you understand better?

KJ
arson
+99|6629|New York
If you have to kill an innocent animal to have fun in your life you have problems. Animals are capable of feeling pain.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6737|Houston, TX

arson wrote:

If you have to kill an innocent animal to have fun in your life you have problems. Animals are capable of feeling pain.
If killing an animal is the ONLY way you have fun in your life, then yes, you have problems.  There is a distinct difference between the needless slaughter of innocent life and killing an animal to provide for the greater good and survival.
If you hunt to serve a purpose and you respect the life you are taking, then the pain that the animal feels (hopefully minimal if you are a real hunter) and the pain you feel for killing it, is something that you share and accept as part of the process. 

Death is a part of life, denial of this aspect only makes the reality of the situation hurt more later.

KJ
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

You are unwilling to kill meat. You do not approve of killing meat the same way you do not approve of child abuse. But you eat meat. The meat you eat comes from somewhere that kills meat: a meat industry. You have declared inability to stop meat industry from killing meat. But in eating meat, you are essentially supporting an industry that kills meat; indirectly taking part in the killing of the meat, which you presumably detest.

The only sense I can make out of your position is that you abhor the thought of personally killing animals for meat, but have no problem with eating meat killed by someone else. You let someone else do the dirty work for you to help divest yourself of meat-killing guilt. A bizarre emotion, at best.

gblanco wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Then you eat meat.
I eat meat.
But I will not kill an animal to eat it.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I don't aprove killing animals.
I will not do it.
When I say I don't aprove it is like saying, I don't aprove child abuse or any kind of abuse.
There are a lot of things I don't aprove and can't stop them, They will do it anyway.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I don't have this problems, So, I can't make an opinion about this.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

farm animals grown to be scheduled for slaughter, that is the meat business.
The wild animals does not have the same chance as you.
You are going to kill the animal at distance, they can't do it the same way.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-22 13:40:51)

motherdear
+25|6643|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
i do hunt and i must confes that i like it. I do think that hunting is funny but not just because of the kill but the things you do to get it, also one of the reasons i hunts is that my family is hunters and that i know many other hunters so you socialize with them when you hunt with them or you enjoy the deer or what ever you shot with them afterwards. i do think that killing just for the thrill is wrong but i can understand it and if they enjoy it it's okay for me, i would personally never hunt just for the thrill because that i am convinced that you eat what you kill because it have to go to something good like satisfying me at a meal. I live in denmark and we have alot of rules for huntings and the hunters mainly use shotguns but we don't just shoot the animals as soon as we see them we have respect we would never kill a hare if it was more than 30 m away and if it was a deer it would be 20 m. The human civilization has hunted for thousands of years and we will not just stop in a split second no matter how much some would like us to. we try to keep the hunting under control so that we don't extinct a race so we regulate which dates we hunt on and we try to not shoot the animals that we know is in danger from eztinction, if the animals get endangered we put laws on them to protect them and if people break those laws they will ofcourse be punished, but a hunter would normally never shoot animals if they can't    selfsustain when you killed them, it's a fine balance and we help keeping it on the right track. so don't come here and complain about that hunters are cruel we ain't we are just different and have another understanding of things.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6569|Arlen, Texas

arson wrote:

I only kill guilty animals.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6569|Arlen, Texas
gblanco, do you fish?
yayo
+2|6568

arson wrote:

+1 for you
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6754

Kung Jew wrote:

gblanco, I must ask how old you are, what diet you keep, and where you live?  Are you young (under 20)? Are you a meat eater? Where you live, is it urban-esque (city)?  Are you provided with food that is processed and fixed so as to minimize preparation and contact with raw materials?  Having lived in West Texas (very rural), the Negev Desert (Israel), and Downtown Houston (Urban city) my views are broad and I've witnessed many perspectives on this.  Maybe if you answered my questions, I could help you understand better?
KJ
Some answers for your questions are written in previous answers in this topic.
but, here they are.
I am 43 years old.
What diet ?
All food.
and if you are asking about meat ? yes I eat meat.
I live in a City in Mexico.
and because you are witnessed many perspectives obviously your comments will be very welcome.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6754

Smaug wrote:

gblanco, do you fish?
I did it once.
I fished and did not feel the need to continue doing it.
This is like others things I don't like.
If I don't like it, I don't do it anymore.
Capt. Foley
+155|6580|Allentown, PA, USA

travisb05 wrote:

*cough* hippie *cough*. everyone in the 1800 had to kill their own food so what is wrong with hunting now.
Yea seriously, it scares me how some people would rather see 100 humans die then 100 rats.
HisInfernalDeath
+23|6716|Belgium
It makes sense to me though.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6754

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

You are unwilling to kill meat. You do not approve of killing meat the same way you do not approve of child abuse. But you eat meat. The meat you eat comes from somewhere that kills meat: a meat industry. You have declared inability to stop meat industry from killing meat. But in eating meat, you are essentially supporting an industry that kills meat; indirectly taking part in the killing of the meat, which you presumably detest.

The only sense I can make out of your position is that you abhor the thought of personally killing animals for meat, but have no problem with eating meat killed by someone else. You let someone else do the dirty work for you to help divest yourself of meat-killing guilt. A bizarre emotion, at best.
I don't detest what others decided to do.
Everybody can do with their lives whatever they want to do.
I like meat because I like the taste, I like meat like other food too.
If you read my answers, you will understand my explanation about approve or not of killing animals.
I just will never kill an animal to eat. That's it.

I don't know why you call it the "dirty work".
It's a job like others jobs.
Somebody can do it, others like me don't.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6754

motherdear wrote:

so don't come here and complain about that hunters are cruel we ain't we are just different and have another understanding of things.
I think you did not read all answers from the beginning.
Show me an answer saying I am complaining.
Show me an answer saying that hunters are cruel.
I think what it's happening here it is what happen in other topics.
New readers are just reading the last answers.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6757|Dallas
It's like this:

People hunt for several reasons.  There is no one single reason to pin it on or too say "This is why people shoot animals".  Here are some reasons.

1. For food.  Yes they could buy the food at the store, but they can also kill for it and have a little fun for their burger or jerky.  People have been hunting for food since the beginning of time, nothing new.

2. For sport.  Most people do not agree with this, however I don't see much of a problem with it.  When you hunt for sport you are hunting for the racks, the fur, the trophy's, but once you've killed and got what you wanted what happens to the rest of the deer?  Most of the time it is used as food as in example 1, or the meat is sold to a packer who in turn sells it to customers who have a taste for deer meat.  Depending on the size and age of a buck, the meat can be really stringy and grissled, in which case you can feed it to hunting dogs or once again, sell it to a packer who will sale it to companies who make everything from catfish chum to Alpo dog food.  Nothing much is wasted.

3. Family bonding.  Did your dad ever take you hunting?  In modern days, there aren't a whole lot of ways for a dad to get to bond with his son in the classic sense of the word.  Hunting probably ranks up there with taking your kid to a baseball game as far as that goes.  What's cooler to a kid than going out in the woods with your dad and huntin'?  Once you kill something rules 1 and 2 come into effect.

4. Just to relax.  Most people who have never been hunting don't realize that you only see a deer maybe 1 out of 10 times you go hunting.  Most of the time, your just out in the woods, comfortable and relaxed and not worrying about anything.  Then if your lucky, you get to experience the thrill of seeing a deer and the excitement that comes from a successful shot.

Those are some of the reasons people hunt.  But some people still argue that some aspects of the hunt are cruel or unfair.  Such as someone saying that the technology the hunters use gives them an unfair advantage in the hunt.  Well no shit.  Humans have always used the best and most technologically advanced weapons at their disposal to hunt, from making a bow out of stronger wood or moving from flintlock rifles into cartridge rifles, humans have always strived to find better ways to hunt.  No different these days.  Really, even with all the gidgets and gadgets it still comes down to a hunter holding a rifle or bow in his hand, the ability to aim steady, and the opportunity presented by the deer that make it happen.  Not a fancy toy or a super rifle.

And you would be surprised how many times the deer wins and gets away.........
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6625|USA
hey man.... i like animals... but there is only one thing i hold against cows.... BUNS

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard